Upgrading PC

Turran

Fledgling Freddie
Hi all,
Got some cash knocking around (About £300-400) And wondering what upgrades i should aim for.
Currently I Have :
1GB Ram (Do i need more?)
Nvidia GeForce 5500 (Old I Know, Which New One Should I Get?)
250 Watt Powerpack (Should i aim for more?)
Intel Pentium 4 3.06GHZ Processor (Need changing?)
Dont know what my motherboard is, anyway i can check?
Also is a cooling case useful.

Thanks, :)

(Remember only £300-400 to spend)

Coolan

One of Freddy's beloved
gonna be limited what u can change without having to replace everything, main things to look at will be graphics, which im guessing is probally agp, so something like a 6600gt agp version would be a worthwile upgrade, would also recommend new psu, those are the main 2 i would suggest, others are possibly new harddrive depending on what u have and what your motherboard supports.

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
i would look into getting a new power supply, more RAM, and a new gfx card, gfx card first, otherwise i reckon you should be fine, unless you're runnin out of hard drive space, then ofc sort that out.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Turran said:
Hi all,
Got some cash knocking around (About £300-400) And wondering what upgrades i should aim for.
Currently I Have :
1GB Ram (Do i need more?)
Nvidia GeForce 5500 (Old I Know, Which New One Should I Get?)
250 Watt Powerpack (Should i aim for more?)
Intel Pentium 4 3.06GHZ Processor (Need changing?)
Dont know what my motherboard is, anyway i can check?
Also is a cooling case useful.

Thanks, :)

(Remember only £300-400 to spend)

RAM is the main upgrade i'd make (up to 2gig especially of your dual-logging), followed by a new PSU (prolly to 450). With the NVidia 5500 im guessing (without checking) thats a PCI-E card? For £100ish you can upgrade this easily to a better card.

Cooling cases are nice, but by no means necessary.

Spend the rest on your family ;)

confused

Can't get enough of FH
Unfortuneatly the 5500 comes in both AGP and pci, so..

If Pci-e go for a 7900gt or x1800xt

AGP a 7800gs is best but, a 6800gt will run fine

Then with those you might be forced to get a new power supply, Tagan 450w psu should be sufficient or an enermax liberty if you'd prefer a modular case. However if you do get a better psu than this its always better, as you can transfer it into a new rig in the future if you require, and better psu means its running at lower %age useage and so will lower your power bill

Then if you really want to spend more money, a set of cheap value Geil ram/g*skill ram would be perfect

Edit: a 250w psu i'd be surprised if it would even run what you've already go

Turran

Fledgling Freddie
Tallen said:
RAM is the main upgrade i'd make (up to 2gig especially of your dual-logging), followed by a new PSU (prolly to 450). With the NVidia 5500 im guessing (without checking) thats a PCI-E card? For £100ish you can upgrade this easily to a better card.

Cooling cases are nice, but by no means necessary.

Spend the rest on your family ;)

I think my Nvidia 5500 is a PCI (How can i check) Im thinking of upgrading to the Nvidia 7600GT.
(P.S It's my birthday so i dont need to spend money on them they spend on moi :)

confused

Can't get enough of FH
If you do upgrade the gpu its definitely wise to get a new PSU.... the more powerful cards take alot more juice. It really isn't worth losing the whole system for £50

Coolan

One of Freddy's beloved
If people are going to recommend pc components atleast get it right, the 5500 will be agp or pci, not pcie which is the latest connection type.

Turran

Fledgling Freddie
confused said:
If you do upgrade the gpu its definitely wise to get a new PSU.... the more powerful cards take alot more juice. It really isn't worth losing the whole system for £50

Gunna upgrade to a 450watt PSU most likely - Will that support it? or do i need more

confused

Can't get enough of FH
450 will be fine, however make sure its from one of the top makes.

Seasonic, Tagan, OCZ, FSP, Enermax or Antec. All of those have a very good reliability reputation and its really not worth skimping on the psu

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Gfx card could be improved and the ram too. Replace the PSU with a 450 as you plan before buying a new GFX card, they tend to drain power and a 250 is very light...

oh and goto start->run type dxdiag and youll get a direct x diagnostic thingy running which should tell you your mobo model.

Turran

Fledgling Freddie
Boni said:
Gfx card could be improved and the ram too. Replace the PSU with a 450 as you plan before buying a new GFX card, they tend to drain power and a 250 is very light...

oh and goto start->run type dxdiag and youll get a direct x diagnostic thingy running which should tell you your mobo model.

Thnx Mate, Helped me alot :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom