Upgrading from AGP to PCI-e

Blackstuff

Fledgling Freddie
Hi

I am in the process of upgrading my pc from the current Asus A8V motherboard & AGP gfx (9800 Pro) to a new Asus A8N32-sli motherboard & XFX GeForce 7800 GTX PCI-E card.

I would appreciate some advice on the build process for this swap.

I have upgraded gfx cards before but they have always been on the same mobo so it was just a question of deleting old card drivers, turning the machine off and doing the card swap. If I am swapping out the mobo at the same time as switching cards and putting in new RAM is the process any different? I will be retaining all the other bits & pieces, especially the HDDs so the OS (Windows XP Home) will already be in place based on the current set-up.

Cheers

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
Windows will most likely just deactivate the old-Hardware components and install the new found ones.
But a fresh install would probably best when changing the mainboard.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
As said above a new install would be best,
sometimes your lucky and it picks up the new components for the new board, sometimes your not.
I have had pretty random luck in it so generally ill install a fresh system if i do a rebuild

crispy

Can't get enough of FH
New install wouldnt just be the best.. It's the only right thing to do :p

Youre gonna be in a world of pain if you hope to boot up and still use your precious personal files (documents etc) when the registry craps up... Unless you took backup ofc :)

Ofc, this is only necessary when changing mobo... and obviously also harddisk :>

Blackstuff

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for the responses. :worthy:

I guess I should have expected to have to do something with the OS but I was hoping that XP would sort it all out for me.

I have had a look on the Net and there appears to be a couple of ways to do the OS update - XP Repair (as per microsoft support webbie) or some sysprep method. Any thoughts on which of these is most likely to suit a semi-noob pc builder like myself? :)

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
back you stuff up onto CDs (documents etc)
rebuild your PC
boot off the XP CD and try to reinstall, if that fails delete your partition, recreate it and install from scratch.

Regardless, get your stuff backed up onto CD unless your HDD is split into two partitions. Then just put it on the 2nd one and reinstall XP onto the first partition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom