upgrade part 2

T

tris-

ok, i know what stuff i am getting now, for the sake of it i will list it, see what people think -

Asus A7N8X deluxe
2x256 PC2700 HyperX ram 333mhz
Athlon XP 2600+ 2.08Ghz 333 fsb

sounds ok to me. now the only prob i have is the current g-card i got is a GF4MX crap.

then that leads me onto - anyone suggest a good card for around £100? :)

i dunno if i should buy the card first then the bits after (giving me a better setup for now) or the other bits as fast as possible and the card last. (will take 6 weeks to buy all the bits after i got the card). what i thought was it would be a waste of time buying all the bits and using a crap card, but maybe i am under estimating how good it could be with that card...

D

Deadmanwalking

I would wait the 6 weeks either way, and buy it all at once. As the prices would have fallen (Slightly) plus you get the whole lot in one go.

T

tris-

well then i need to wait 8 weeks to buy it all at once, so really makes no difference, thats why i thought it might be better to use a new card for the time being.

J

Jonty

Hi n3wbie

eBuyer are currently selling a Tyan Radeon 9600 Pro for £117.49, and it's supposed to be a nice card (91% and Editor's Choice Award). Alternatively GeForce FX 5600 Ultras come in at around this price, sometimes a little higher, sometimes lower. If you're going for a 5600, make sure you get the flip-chip versions, which offer better performance (just search this forum if you're unsure how to spot them).

I'm not sure what your current specs are, but a good graphics card will help to some extent. That said, a powerful card in a slowish system can cause problems, so it's all about finding a balance :) Usually, although it's no hard and fast rule, a powerful system with a weak graphics card will be a better solution than a slower system with a powerful graphics card.

Kind Regards

T

tris-

i have -
athlon t-bird 1.1ghz
448 MB ram pc133
Abit mobo kt133
GF4MX

Users who are viewing this thread