Unwanted Free Levels

Aonmeamna

Fledgling Freddie
What do you do if you don't want them?

I assumed that you would have to /level or something to get them, but I just clicked on my trainer and ping! There is more to the game than just level 50 RvR (at least I bloody hope there is) and I am in no hurry to race up. So why am I forced to miss out on playing a level just because GOA have a stupid idea to address the realm balance (and it is stupid, why would that make a difference?)

I don't wan't the free levels, is there any way I can revert my character? (I haven't spent the skill points from it yet)

Night

Fledgling Freddie
Ive never ever in my daoc life seen some one whine about getting free exp...

Zenythe

[GOA] English Servers GM
In patch 1.73 you will have the option to turn down your free level. Until then you are stuck with it.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
It was a bit silly making it impossible to speak to your trainer again once you had free ding if you were playing BGs. I had 10 points on my Hunter that I couldn't spend at one point.

Roadie

Fledgling Freddie
Aonmeamna said:
There is more to the game than just level 50 RvR (at least I bloody hope there is) and I am in no hurry to race up.

ofc there is more, but daoc is mostly about the end game rly (ie after lv 50) actualy leveling up is fairly mundane rly :z

Night

Fledgling Freddie
wasnt mundane in old days when there was alot of ppl :(

Devilseye

Fledgling Freddie
BG1.. level from 20 to 23.. Wait 1 week (alb/mid) and Ding free level 24 ^^
if your a hib (like me) level to 23. wait 2 days.. and Ding 24 :)

Only way to avoid it atm

Merrilow

Fledgling Freddie
Except the free level timer kicks in as soon as you log in, so ding 23, free xp to 23.8, ding 24 - free level in 2 days ding 25.

seeph

Fledgling Freddie
level faster :)

make /20 level to 23 in 1 day (easy) and then wait 1 week

Aonmeamna

Fledgling Freddie
A game is what you make of it.

What is the point in having levels at all then? Lets all be level 50, ToA'd and RR10 whatever and get on with it?

What is the point in even having PVE at all if you don't enjoy it, Quests, different level dungeons and zones? Whatever happened to Roleplay

How hard would it have been to make you claim your new level? Rather than give it you whether you wanted it or not? Fine, most people may want it, but some don't.

So if your attitude is get to lvl 50 asap whatever, then don't ever moan at a bug abuser again in PVE, they are just doing what GOA want them to do, get to lvl 50. And while we are at it, can we all have free legendary crafting while we are at it? How about an official GOA crafting macro?

Granting free levels may be nice if you want it, but it pisses all over the original game concept and design in a half arsed ill-thought out idiot attempt to address realm imbalance, rather than fix it properly.

What are the latest stats on realm population? I s all this free stuff working? Bet you it aint.

Rep

One of Freddy's beloved
Aonmeamna said:
A game is what you make of it.

What is the point in having levels at all then? Lets all be level 50, ToA'd and RR10 whatever and get on with it?

What is the point in even having PVE at all if you don't enjoy it, Quests, different level dungeons and zones? Whatever happened to Roleplay

How hard would it have been to make you claim your new level? Rather than give it you whether you wanted it or not? Fine, most people may want it, but some don't.

So if your attitude is get to lvl 50 asap whatever, then don't ever moan at a bug abuser again in PVE, they are just doing what GOA want them to do, get to lvl 50. And while we are at it, can we all have free legendary crafting while we are at it? How about an official GOA crafting macro?

Granting free levels may be nice if you want it, but it pisses all over the original game concept and design in a half arsed ill-thought out idiot attempt to address realm imbalance, rather than fix it properly.

What are the latest stats on realm population? I s all this free stuff working? Bet you it aint.

its more aimed towards new players afaik, trying to give them more of a reason to start a char on one of the underpopulated realms - same reason they gave for giving albs only 1 new class in catacombs and the other realms 2.
if that is the case, then it does work. would have worked on me anyway; when i came back to daoc after quitting, i was very tempted to roll hib for the free lvl every 2 days, but i rerolled alb since i already had friends there :p

Aonmeamna

Fledgling Freddie
Rep said:
would have worked on me anyway; when i came back to daoc after quitting, i was very tempted to roll hib for the free lvl every 2 days, but i rerolled alb since i already had friends there :p

Self defeating? It didn't work on you :p

And do you think most players would want a new game where they only get to play every other level? Players that have done it before maybe (except you prefered teh zerg to the zero pop) but surely not new players! It is an RPG after all.

Rep

One of Freddy's beloved
Aonmeamna said:
Self defeating? It didn't work on you :p

And do you think most players would want a new game where they only get to play every other level? Players that have done it before maybe (except you prefered teh zerg to the zero pop) but surely not new players! It is an RPG after all.

well, all i meant was, it would have worked on me, if i was a newb and didnt have friends already :)

agreed it kinda defeats the object of an rpg to have free lvls, but at least its one step closer to exp without grind, even if it is free exp :m00:

Roadie

Fledgling Freddie
Aonmeamna said:
What is the point in having levels at all then? Lets all be level 50, ToA'd and RR10 whatever and get on with it?.

when you 1st level up its gr8! you get loads of new experiances an meet lots of people. Now the general population just views leveling to 50 as an obstical so the work around it through pl etc...making groups harder to find and pulling up the ladder for new players, free levels are to help these new players and stop them losing hope + for improving underdog populations.

Basicly everybody has a level 50 now other than the new players. Not everyone has ml10 opted TOA equipment and rr10, thats why we shouldnt all have it automaticly its character identity. Thats alot of what makes your character yours now since everyone is lv50. Since a template capping virtualy everything pre-toa was fairly easy to get hold of for most classes the only visable difference between characters was dye and SI epic dungion loot (which was gradualy becomming easyer to come by). So alot of how alot of people saw their character was down to realm rank. TOA was introduced to remedy the situation and add more of an end game.

When your exping you know whats gona happen next, there is little excitment after youve done it once. The new stuff and exciting nd captivating stuff all comes after 50.

The more attched to your character you are the less likely you are to cancel your subs.

Aonmeamna said:
What is the point in even having PVE at all if you don't enjoy it, Quests, different level dungeons and zones? Whatever happened to Roleplay.

Its to hard to acomplish the longer pve events in roleplay and for most to dificult to imerce themselves to a suitable level to roleplay. Also most people never wanted to roleplay in the 1st place :p

The point of pve is to difine your character and give you an edge over other characters. The more "work" you put in (boring pve) the more "reward" you get (your character is superior to others). Its also to give subtle differences between every character so people dont just go off and play counterstrike :p

Aonmeamna said:
So if your attitude is get to lvl 50 asap whatever, then don't ever moan at a bug abuser again in PVE, they are just doing what GOA want them to do, get to lvl 50. And while we are at it, can we all have free legendary crafting while we are at it? How about an official GOA crafting macro?.

GOA dont want you to get to level 50. They want you to pay your subs and not stop others from paying theirs. Most of these "bugs" are only discovered by players playing extremely inventivly and thinking "outside the box" (i h8 that expression) its the limitations of the game its self allow them to do so, thing is they then feel proud and tell ppl what they did and they copy. Imo the only problem with this is when they destroy the game for gamers who want to do it the hard way. GOA see it the same way since its these gamers who then quit because the game isnt what they wanted.

Aonmeamna said:

the ORIGONAL concept and design. Thats not the same as the current one. Most people welcome free xp for reasons stated above and majority rules. Also class/realm imbalences are there for a reason as well :p

You must view this game in such a different way to me 8-o

Aonmeamna

Fledgling Freddie
Still not answering the point though, if leveling is a boring grind, and they don;t want people to get bored and leave, then why not just allow you sto roll a lvl 50? You can then get on with ToA/RR. Leveling shouldn't be a grind, it's a game. And besides you can level through PvP anyhow.

Roadie said:
You must view this game in such a different way to me 8-o

Now this is the crux of it. The fact that we can view things differently, and the game allows this. The problem here is not the fact that there are free levels, it's the fact that you get it if you want it or not. They didn;t think!

Of course they realised because they then added the option to not have it later in 1.72/3 (I now know) so at least I can make sure I don't get hit with any more unwanted levels, so that is something.

I still have to think this is a very poor way of addressing the realm imbalance. It should be done by other means like promoting image (yeah everyone wants to be king arthur), investing more things in the underpopulated realms, and putting pop caps on realms while there is a big imbalance.

Roadie

Fledgling Freddie
Aonmeamna said:
Still not answering the point though, if leveling is a boring grind, and they don;t want people to get bored and leave, then why not just allow you sto roll a lvl 50?

To give you charcter identity and for new players to whomb its not a grind

Aonmeamna said:
I still have to think this is a very poor way of addressing the realm imbalance. It should be done by other means like promoting image (yeah everyone wants to be king arthur), investing more things in the underpopulated realms, and putting pop caps on realms while there is a big imbalance.

i dont wana be king arthur, far from it :p

i also think that the balence isnt to bad atm it genraly depends on the players :p

if you mean balence as in population balence then i think what they have already implemented is very good, /level 30 and 2day free levels imo is a very good change. I dont rely get wht you mean by promting an immage :p on different servers different realms are imbalenced so they would fix a problem in one place only to be making another server worse. Leveling bonuses are the only real way to encourage people to reroll imo.

Your into roleplaying, you could look at it like this: the next step in your progression was reached through realisations about the skills you posess which which couldnt be gained through actual experiance :p

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
the "oi I don't want that level" thing was brought up on the tester boards before /level went live - I guess mythic thought that it was better to get it out there and fit in the ability to avoid the freebies later, rather than waiting for both to be ready.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Mythic couldnt give a toss what their players think or want, thats why they have to change so many things that they implement.

Aonmeamna

Fledgling Freddie
afaik every server is low on hib and high on alb. We'll have to wait and see if what they do addresses the realm population imbalances, my guess is it won't. I hope I am wrong.

Roadie

Fledgling Freddie
well ive always played alb....now im rolling a druid since a guild that i have strong ties to decided to establish in hib.

that sounds like its working to some extent o0

Tho it is more to do with the low pop on pryd tbh :z

Acetylsalicylic

Fledgling Freddie
Had a nightshade in leirvik since free lvl came hes got 148 spec points or sommit & 5 rps lvl45.5 such unfairness, and no im not leveling him been stuck at 48 on me none envenom one for to long as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom