Unix.....

D

danger

Hi I've been wanting to get some experience with a unix OS for a while and I've finally decided to get round to doing it :D

I'm wanting to run a duel boot on my desktop (pIII450 128..... yeah fairly humble i know!) running Winblows XP Pro... currently, with something like redhat (I've been told that's the best... but would appreciate ne advice ... i'm looking for ease of install + requiring the least £££ :p )

I was wondering what's basically involved in setting up a duel boot up (i.e. how do i go about it), how much trouble I can expect from installing it (i've been a winblows user since 3.1 and haven't really touched nething else) .

Oh also my drives only got one partition ATM... does that mean a reformat and partition the drive in 2 with FDISK (this isn't a problem... just a pain in the ass I could do without hehe)

Thanks for ne advice u can offer :)

T

Testin da Cable

Redhat Linux is well, Linux, a unix-like os that is available for free under GPL [but you can pay if you like - usually bags you a nice book or some cool extras]. The easiest way to get it would be to download the iso from a redhat mirror local to you and burn them.
Redhat is a relatively easy install with most of everything [configuration et al] being done automagically for you. Personally I'd reformat because I really hate mucking around with partition managers [but that's just me do as you wish]. Remember: linux uses a swap partition -not a file, so you'll need 2 extra partitions one big, one the size of your ram. The only thing that I _urge_ you to do is this: make a backup! Either burn a cdrom with the things you think you'd like having back or copy them to a different computer or whatever. Stuff like email/icq lists/documents/savegames and whatnot.
Another hint would be to install windoze first as it really doesn't like dualbooting with anything other than a different MS product [thus becomes useless imo]. Linux will happily dualboot with just about anything, and with the autoconfig wonders you'll be home free. good luck!!

D

danger

Cheers big ears :)

that helps alot......

hmm 3 ISO's to DL heh... better wait for demon to get off their fat asses and tell BT to double click the "Upgrade line to ADSL" icon on their desktop and enter my phone no grrrrr :p 3 weeks since I ordered ADSL and still no responce...

neway cheers for ya help, I'm gonna go ahead with red hat... didn't realise it was free lol ... BONUS!

S

Shocko

I downloaded RH7.2 on my 56k :D

You could arlternativley try another distro such as Mandrake, Suse, Debian, or even one of the newer ones(which i've conveniently forgotten the names of, or at least the one i was thinking of, that used to be called 'Redmond linux' :)). As TdC said, install Windows first, since it will overwrite the MBR; If your boot-floppy doesn't work(or you didn't make one)... :)

If you repartition, you might as well leave the space you want for linux, unpartitioned, since you will at the very least want 2 partitions from that space.

S

Shocko

Yes and no :) I've heard that Gentoo is meant to be for advanced users, and is overtaking debian as the geek's distro of choice. I was thinking of Lycoris(A quick web search reveals)...

D

danger

Do u guys know any good sources of help for setting up a dual boot... I've got a little stuck :)

M

Miles_Binck

D

danger

cheers..... sorry yeah that was pure can't be arsedness on my part not looking it up on google :D

D

danger

/me wanders how sore his cock would be after trying to find something to do for 2 weeks :D

N

Nozzer

Originally posted by ]SK[

Heh

/me points to v7.3 and now v8

Maybe he's nearly finishing 7.2 and since he started, 7.3 and 8.0 have come out, it's a 56k afterall :)

S

Shocko

It did indeed take me around 2wks to get two RH7.2 ISOs... Hardly a great inconvenience since i downloaded it overnight.

There is no need to have the latest version of a distro... There's only so many applications i use alot, and i can keep them up to date manually. Which i do.

:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom