Uni funding money thingys

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
i just got accepted into uni. the only funding thing i know about is with the student loans company, i will also get £500 welcome gift in my first year but i am sure there is more things im missing out. extra funding etc?
unless im wrong :touch: anyone know if there is something i missed?

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
Also look on the website of whichever uni has accepted you: there's every chance they'll offer handouts to you if you need them.

Of course, if you've actually got plenty of money and are just scrounging for a bit extra, they'll likely tell you to bugger off.

tris-

me personally, i havent got plenty of money. i am currently paying off a loan and credit cards.
my parents wages combined is a lot. but i dont see why i should have to count on them to get through uni. i already been paying taxes for 2 years, now i want summit back :p

Embattle

FH is my second home
Jump in front of a car then, if you are lucky you'll get to hospital before croaking :p

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
tris- said:
me personally, i havent got plenty of money. i am currently paying off a loan and credit cards.
my parents wages combined is a lot. but i dont see why i should have to count on them to get through uni. i already been paying taxes for 2 years, now i want summit back :p

most uni's have 'hardship grants', but that isnt something you will be able to rely on.
i've got a part time job as well as having a student loan, but a lot of my friends dont have jobs and seem to do manage with the loan and their overdraft. not that you want to be getting into that situation if you are currently in debt!

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
tris- said:

You're absolutely right, after two whole years of paying taxes and racking up debts the very least you are entitled to is for the rest of us tax payers to feather your nest for the next three years! :D

RB

tris-

racking up debts? im not sure if your trying to imply something there? i havent 'racked up' anything. i have one loan and 2 credit cards, which are being paid off.
actually, i think what i said went straight over your head into the bin. never mind, i only wanted some advice but typical FH someone has to come and put a shitter on it.

Will

/bin/su
From what I remember, you need to have been self-supporting for at least three years before your parents income isn't taken into account for Uni. Of course, we still got grants when I was a student...

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
tris- said:
racking up debts? im not sure if your trying to imply something there? i havent 'racked up' anything. i have one loan and 2 credit cards, which are being paid off.
actually, i think what i said went straight over your head into the bin. never mind, i only wanted some advice but typical FH someone has to come and put a shitter on it.

Calm down tris-, I really meant no offence, and you have already received good advice, to which I had little to add. The students I teach mostly receive NHS bursaries to help them through their courses, pay tuition fees etc, but these are clearly only available on courses that lead to NHS careers. I'm afraid that I haven't been involved with university life enough to know about the other funding opportunities.

Virtually all of my students still need to work to help pay bills. What job have you been doing for the last couple of years? If you can carry on using skills that you have been building up then you may be able to earn more than stacking shelves in Tesco.

Once again apologies for 'shitting on' anything, it wasn't intended, my smilie obviously didn't have the intended effect.

RB

Tilda

tris- said:
It sounds like a similar situation to me.

Most students (apart from nurses etc) live off the student loan.
Basicly the full student loan will give you enough cash to live off. However the loan itself is split into two bits, the "cant touch this" bit which everybody gets, and an income assessed bit, which can me made to the full amount if your parents earn less than a certain amount, or can me nothing if your parents earn loads.

For me, I got only the cant touch this bit, as my parents earn over the limit, however, as they were adamant they wern't going to give cash handouts over I managed to negotiate with them to make the loan up to the full amount, so basicly I get the full loan and nothing else.

The hardship funds etc are usually only given out at the uni's disgretion and you're unlikley to get them unless your in a situation where you can't afford to eat.
I dont know about the grants because afaik they were replaced by the loan system.

If i were in your situation i'd get the cards payed off asap and try sort something out with your parents whereby they make the loan up the the full amount. As Will said you have to have been selfsupporting and living out of home (I think) for 2-3 years before your parents income isn't counted.
I dont know what your situation with your parents is, but with mine the subject was bought up and it ended up basicly saying "I couldnt get the full loan because you're both earning too much, if you want give me cash handouts, atleast make the loan up to the full amount.
I can live comfortably off my loan, but do work in the summer/christmas for that little bit extra.

tris-

oh soz man, i thought it was ye old FH shitness coming back or something :)
i will be staying at my job, ive alread had one pay rise, at the end of this month i will get another payrise and cost of living pay rise. it may seem a lot, but it only takes my wages to the industry standard. something like £6/hour.
my situation is i still live at home and pay my own way. my parents earn a lot but i dont see why i should have to count on them to get by. income assesed is poop :( what if you live with parents who will flat out refuse to give you any money at all. then what would the government be doing for them? not my situation btw, but just a thought.

Tilda

tris- said:
i already been paying taxes for 2 years, now i want summit back :p
Government subsidies you :p
You pay around £1500 a year tuition fees, foreign students pay nearer £10,000, the government makes up the rest iirc.

Chilly

Balls of steel
If you are estranged (sp?) from your parents you can get your fees payed, similar to having been independent for 3+ years from the parents.

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
if you really need financial support you can apply for support at your local LEA (local education authority) which is what i'm doing. Dunno much about it though, its my parents that are doing it but i'm sure if you ask your council they'll give you some info

Damini

Part of the furniture
I don't know rubber bullets, that bit about having paid taxes for 2 years had me giggling until I choked.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Just remember to get your student loan forms off ASAP (mines still on my desk, deadline was last week, *sigh*)
My local LEA can be real ***** when it comes to filling in forms. I had to fill in the same form 3 times, and they kept on sending me more forms, similar, same and different ones. In the end I called them up, told them how retarded their system was, and they rubber stamped my application.

Best tip for saving money at uni though, is to control the alcohol intake (that you're paying for).
Shop at cheap places, like Liddl and Aldi, and you shouldn't have too much financial hardship.

Do you still have to pay fees up front, or have they changed over? (paying 1/3 of your student loan on first day of uni sucks big time)

Tilda

SilverHood said:
Just remember to get your student loan forms off ASAP (mines still on my desk, deadline was last week, *sigh*)
My local LEA can be real ***** when it comes to filling in forms. I had to fill in the same form 3 times, and they kept on sending me more forms, similar, same and different ones. In the end I called them up, told them how retarded their system was, and they rubber stamped my application.

Best tip for saving money at uni though, is to control the alcohol intake (that you're paying for).
Shop at cheap places, like Liddl and Aldi, and you shouldn't have too much financial hardship.

Do you still have to pay fees up front, or have they changed over? (paying 1/3 of your student loan on first day of uni sucks big time)
Asda own brand weetabix rocks, also asda own brand jaffa cakes are as good a the real thing (same factory).
Silverhood, I think that here we pay in in 3 bits, once each semester, you get your loan in 3 bits too so its just a chunk out of each I think.

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
our uni gave us a choice - pay all at once, 3 payments over 3 months, 3 payments over 3 terms, 6 payments over 6 months, or if the SLC was paying- give them that form :p

this (04/05) year i did my form wrong - and at the last minute - so i had to pay out of my loan. it was expensive and its been a hard year, but ive managed and not gone into overdraft once. so as soon as they sent me a new form i did it properly and im waiting for a response, yay.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Tilda said:
Asda own brand weetabix rocks, also asda own brand jaffa cakes are as good a the real thing (same factory).
Silverhood, I think that here we pay in in 3 bits, once each semester, you get your loan in 3 bits too so its just a chunk out of each I think.

I must concur on the jaffa cakes, however, my housemates do not agree, and insist the real things taste better.

Yeah, think I had a choice of when to pay too (start of each term, or all at once) , but had savings from summer job, so decided to just get it over with.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
the deadline for student loans was the 29th of april btw, any applications after will not have received the loan by the time they start ;)

filled in my form and had to fiddle around trying to find out if im actually considered a "settled" citizen :rolleyes: (so got it in at the last minute of course :D )

tris-

oh fuckin ell, the website said they started on apr29, im sure it did

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
Ormorof said:
any applications after will not have received the loan by the time they start ;)

last year i got my form in too late and waited until the very end of summer to find out they wouldnt be paying my fees like they did for my first year. this year i made sure i had it filled out the day it came through.
get it done asap tris-.

Tilda

haarewin, how did it work out for you lastyear?
I sent my form back 2 days late! :S

SilverHood

FH is my second home
I wouldn't worry too much, in my first year, mine was a month late. I hadn't even gotten my ackowledgement of my student loan, but on second day of uni, I went to where the cheques were issued, and hey, my name was on the list of cheques that needed to be collected.

Got my ackowledgement two weeks later.

If you don't get it on time, go speak to your bank, arrange an overdraft until you get the money. Not the end of the world :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom