Unhandled Exception c0000005

O

old.JanSolo

Ok... right now I'm SEETHING with rage.

I've spent ALL FUCKING DAY trying to get tribes2 to run. I installed it OK first time, ran single player, got halfway thru the mission and bam. Locks up. Sound goes all loopy, no screen updates. FUCK. Win2k wont recover either.

Had some similar problems a while ago with CS, so I thoguth right, it must be that ACPI shit that's sharing 1 IRQ among all devices... Resetup W2K without ACPI.

Reinstall, Get patches, run. Exactly the same thing. FUCK.

Maybe its hardware... Heard of some problems with VIA chipsets and Live cards; so out come the LIVE and the 3Com net card (one more thing eliminated)... try again.

this time i get:

Unhandled Exception c00000005 straight after the intro movie. WTF? I thought this might be because it needs a soundcard to run.. so I whack the Live back in, reinstall.

c00000005 again!... regardless if its solo or multiplayer...

I am fucking livid. I was really looking forward to this game.

cunts.

Jan.

PS. PC Spec:

750 Athlon on Abit KA7100 (bios ty)
256m Crucial Micron CAS2 ram,
SB Live Full (old stylee)
GeForce DDR 32m(CLAP)
3Com 3c509 Net card.
Motorola USB Cablemodem Pr0nP1p0r

H

haggisman

do you see the intro movie? just making sure.

H

haggisman

i think i know what the problem is, have you got the latest drivers for your card(not beta) for geforce2 it would be 6.50

O

old.JanSolo

update

Update.

Did yet another clean install from my E: (slower CDRW drive. As opposed to F: 32x/DVD)

used updater, got into game. Actually had an ONLINE game OK, quit out cleanly.

Tried to goto solo/LAN mode. Got in OK. Started first mission. then BAM. Lockup, sound, graphics wont move.

SHIT.

restart machine.

and whaddya know? my dear friend c0000005 is back. for LAN and ONLINE.

just after the intro movies, I get UE: c0000005

getting Det650 now, + reinstalling.

Cheers.

Jan.

M

mookie

i had same prob. installed non-beta drivers for me GF(det 3 6.5) and it fixed it. :]

O

old.Cpl_Custard

Yeah, the dev team are only officially allowed to say which official drivers are working. Try installing new Drivers if you have a nvidia product, i am useing Det3 7.52's and these work fine. I can't remember but i have seen so many fixes for this problem, i can't remember any of them.

Go and ask for help at http://www.tribalwar.com/forums more peeps use those forums.

O

old.Cpl_Custard

but a peice of advise, don't flame the game on those forums, just ask for help nicely, it's the only way you will get help.

O

old.JanSolo

Another Update

Right,

Det650 seems to have cured the c0000005 errors on startup, but not the random lockups in the game that require a hard reset.

I'll be playing away, just about to cap the flag for example, and THUD, cant move, juddery sound, dead.

anyone else got, or, even better, cured this?

Another problem is LAG.

I'm on a cable modem. I get 30-40 pings (ROCK STEADY) to barrys CS servers.

To Barrys Tribes2 servers I get ###300-1500#### pings!!!!

WTF?? Am I doing something wrong? I selected the DSL/LAN option on the network settings... I even fiddled with the sliders but that made it worse!

I appreciate all help with these problems.

Cheers

Jan.

PS, I didnt think I was 'Flaming' tribes2. I'm just a little dissapointed in the overall quality of the code so far. I waited 2 years for this game!

O

old.Mjr tOm

this kinda shit makes me laugh; i'm not the only 1 this stuff happens to. luckily, T2 has been no prob so far *crosses fingers, touches wood*

O

old.Shaz_af_Tribes2

Random lockups ingame, are you on an AMD + win2k?

O

old.Jensen

I had the same fatal error at first,wouldn't even launch the game.Reinstalled drivers/dx8 to no avail.Then noticed that vsync was on.Turned it off and Voila,problem solved

Dane

O

old.JanSolo

Update Part3

Here we go...

using my last install I got tribes to work reasonably well online for a day or so. Then weird shit started happening.

1. The voices dissapeared; you know, the ones that say 'Defend our Gens' and 'Enemy Turret destroyed', etc. They'd get printed in the box, but not played.

2. The names of the players went all funky: upto half of the names in the players list would say 'NULL', garbage or some other string from elsewhere in the game.

3. I started to accumulate random system lockups. The weird thing was that i was sharing my cable modem at the same time. The connection to the other machines was still OK implying that the operating system was still running OK. However, having no way to quit the game, I had to reset the whole box.

So, I thought Okey dokey, lets do a fresh install using that newly released 'First Aid' whatnot thingamijig program.

Saved prefs directory.
did system->controlpanel->add/remove progs->tribes2
deleted remaining files from games/tribes2 dir.
did a clean install from CD. with me so far?
Got the 'lil first aid thing, did a 'check files'.
Unsuprisingly, it came up with a few bad ones; so I did a 'Copy files' too.

And... did it work? Did it fuck! It gets to audio.vl2 and then says 'retry(x)' where x is an ever increasing number. I've had x go all the way upto 4000 before quitting it.

tried both CD drives, restarted, tried other things too... no luck.

WTF?

The game is buggy.
The patches for the game are buggy.
The patches for the patches are buggy.

I read the statement that was released with the 1st aid prog. It said that the data corruption was due to CD drives, motherboards, etc. Well in that case why does everything else work OK? What are Dynamix doing thats so different??

I'm quite happy to admit my motherboard may be shit... (It uses the god-awful VIA KX133 chipset. VIA are worse than criminals; their products simply DONT work. They never have. Why has no-one else ever noticed this?) , but that doesnt excuse the fact that it seems to be only Dynamix code that doesnt work right.

BTW, yes it is an AMD and it is on Win2k.

Jan.

S

shabazz

same ere

i just killed 98 (twas well past it) and decided to try 2000 out.

After nearly pulling my hair out over the bloody 60 hrtz thing (which i sorted) i moved onto T2.

And its the same. I have an Athlon and im on 2000.

The game just wont have it - it dies straight after the intro :/ . Im trying some bits and bobs out now. Wish me luck :D

O

old.sport585

I have the ultimate fix, get an old p3 and an ATI Radeon 64 meg ddr. I have no problems for the most part. But there are always goofy things (I've reinstalled 4 times now). I think that sometimes the automatic patches fudge up the computer game. I installed it once, and it wouldn't let me in the game at all, so I reinstall, and it works for a little while. The most recent one I've had I kept getting unhandled exception errors when I open the game, but after I click ok, it keeps on going and playing. But then when I updated the game, I couldn't see any of the online servers anymore. I'd refresh the servers and I'd get like 26, YAH RIGHT! Then a little later, before I reinstalled, I couldn't get into chats, couldn't check t-mail. THE WHOLE THING WAS FUDGED! So I reinstalled, and for the moment, it works fine. Although I'm talking on the subject of the goofiness of Tribes 2, for I have a p3. Upgrading to p4 this Christmas, I think that I'll stay with intel, no problems (hopefully) LOL. Good luck with your comp. Also, for the first update, you have to go to tribes2update.sierra.com , becuase you have to update the updater (honestly) before the automatic update will work on my comp. Oh well, good luck. And I watched the language, for whoever said to watch it, lol.........

O

old.unrock

Speaking of pent4s - is it true that tribes2 has SSE2 support coded in? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

L

luap

It has smp support but it's totally b0rked. There's one particular bug the caps the FPS to just 60. Dynamix are patching for that apparently.

S

shabazz

:D

Gald it worked for you.

I ditched powerstrip and did it the hard way:

I opened reg edit and edited nv10_modes.

I went through it like this:

It follows a pattern i.e. 08 . . 640 .480 . (refresh rates here->).60 . 70. 72. 75 . 85, etc

I went through this deleting all under 85 ( or as close as you can get - i.e. 75 on some lower ones) for the 8 bit, 16 bit and 32 bit (it takes about 10-15 mins to do it)

As I said, the refresh fix proggy wouldnt work, but i guess this is what it would have done.

But its fixed it now :D

Bear in mind for those that wanna do this: a) A driver change will reset this, and b) Dont do it unless you are sure what your doing.

In any case, a fuckup will only harm the nvidia drivers - so reinstall em :D

O

old.JanSolo

Update Episode 4: A New Hope.

Right Hombres, Tribes 2 is now, almost rock solid on my machine:

Here's how I did this incredible feat!!

NOTE: Win2k, VIA motherboard PCs only!

1. Nvidia Detonator 11.01s. They seem to be stable and fully featured.

2. Microsoft Windows 2000 Service pack 1.
Its 85 megs. Get it from MS.com

3. Microsoft VIA AGP Crash fix for Win2k... Found on the W2k Knowledgebase... do a search for VIA AGP.
This patch is included in W2k SP2.

4. VIA register tweak from viahardware.com
Some bloke wrote a driver that messes with some of the registers inside the VIA gubbins. Goto http://www.viahardware.com and search for 'georges tweaks'.

5. Tribes2 First Aid thingy Version2. It worked Ok second time around.

6. All the latest patches. Get em via the installer or from barrys FTP.

And there you have it.

I still get the odd c00000005 when doing something unusual; frequently when pressing several keys at once (strafe, jump, grenade, jet for example; yes, I can do it on my config.)

The lockups are gone (although CS does it now! Bah!), and the game is smoother (although I reckon thats due to the new patches)...

If this is of any help to anyone, pass it on.

Cheers

Jan.

O

old.Salieri

I used to get the lockups running under Win2K and still occasionally do..

Its seems primarily to be a memory thing.. I went through a whole load of Nvidia reference drivers from 6.5 to 12 and the only ones that really seem stable to me are the 7.58 ELSA ones..

Admittedly I'm running a crap Geforce256 32Mb SDR card, but I would have thought an Athlon 600 with 256Mb RAM would hold up!

Best thing I found was to make sure all background apps were shut down.. a program called EndItAll helped..

Go to your Advanced display properties and select the Open GL tab and switch on fast linear-mipmap-linear filtering... that helped a bit, apparently lowers display quality but its not that noticeable..

I then, probably due to my ancient Geforce card had to cut down on a load of details settings, mainly Shape Detail, Visible Distance and Terrain Detail, turn textures to 16bit and Nicest compression.. and switch off Precipitation...

I hardly ever have to hard reset, but I do get occasional hangs in the game that are system related.

I used to get the UE error too when trying to run Dedicated Servers.. what seemed to clear it up, was after patching and attempting to run the game the first time, going Find Files in Windows and looking for *.dso in the Dynamix folder and deleting them all..

Hope it helps a bit..

Salieri

O

old.sigpop

glad to hear that someone else has that crap happen to them. i am running win2k server. my first prob was the voice binds 'disappeared'. whenever i pushed 'V', nothing happned--no menu. on the console (tilda) screen, it kept looking for some resource. so i reinstalled.
i then had c000005 for awhile. about the 4th install it seemed to go away. now i am playing on another puter and THIS one gets the perma-locks/redjack hell (no sblive in this box). oh well, hope they keep on patching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom