Unemployed again...

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Six month stint completed on Future jobs fund and guess what? The fucking using bastard never intended to keep me on >< Fucking tit was always skint and cannot afford me.

Employers and government funding = waste of fucking time and money imo...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Dun worry, with a bit of planning, skimming, offline games to remove hunger/thirst and lack of social activities, you'll live niely enough until you get a non-wanky employer to stroke your ween.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Recession is the best time for entrepeneurs(sp), So get out there son, think of something, make a million pounds.

Helme

Resident Freddy
Oh you guys also have that thing where the government pays companies to take people on and the companies being the greedy bastards that they are uses it as free workers instead of hiring someone full time for the position, and the worker gets fuck all in compensation?

It's awesome isn't it.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Yeah it never works as intended.

The same with a lot of apprenticeships though at least with them you can leave with a trade.

People are crying out for good plumbers/chippies...thought about giving one of them a go? You should speak to local colleges/job centres about courses and any possible financial help available.

You can make some very nice money as a plumber, especially if you get yourself gas registered. It's something I have given some thought to recently as I am bored to the soul of working in an office.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Oh you guys also have that thing where the government pays companies to take people on and the companies being the greedy bastards that they are uses it as free workers instead of hiring someone full time for the position, and the worker gets fuck all in compensation?

It's awesome isn't it.

Glad it is a common practice and not a country issue.

On the other hand... doh! :(

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
Yeah it never works as intended.

The same with a lot of apprenticeships though at least with them you can leave with a trade.

People are crying out for good plumbers/chippies...thought about giving one of them a go? You should speak to local colleges/job centres about courses and any possible financial help available.

You can make some very nice money as a plumber, especially if you get yourself gas registered. It's something I have given some thought to recently as I am bored to the soul of working in an office.

Ah but the system for apprenticeships never works as intended either. Many employers take on a 1st year apprentice then let them go at the end of the year because they cost more to employ through the second and third years.

Plus if they get good skills behind them they invariably bugger off and start their own business or work for someone else, increasing competition which obviously is no incentive to train them beyond what you need them for.

And becoming GasSafe is no easy, quick or cheap process, that's why people need 'em!

And I'm sorry to hear the news Img :(

Ezteq

Queen of OT
Sorry to hear about that bud, I hope you find something soon xxx

Now then, personal rant incoming: we had a bunch of future jobs people last year; loads of them were effing useless lazy bastards who didn't turn up (you'd think hmm working in a library, nice job easy to do...make a good impression and there's a chance you'll get something from it but nope not these guys) and when they did bother to show up they actually seemed to be trying to screw up as much as possible.

The thing that really really annoyed a lot of us is that some of the people accepted on the scheme do not have the minimum educational requirements necessary to work in the library so even if they do really well after their time's up they couldn't get a job anyway...the point of this flash of genius??

We have one girl at my library who was last years future jobs employee and she is brilliant, really helpful and good at what she does, they couldn't keep her because of cuts but they do always phone her and get her for relief hours whenever possible.

I really don't like schemes like this where you give people jobs that they don't want or are not going to get to keep at the end because I think it is a big waste of everyones time and there are loads of people out there who actually want to work in libraries but can't because they don't qualify for this clusterfuck...I mean scheme.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Sorry to hijack your thread - just had my first job interview in ages. Fingers crossed! Career change is so needed right now.

It sucks that your employer let you go, but only if he strung you along and gave you the impression he was going to keep you. It's the reality of schemes like this, people get work for a while, but the employers do it for free labour.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
and.........

I got the job!!!!

2 hours after the interview I got the call! Sweeeet

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Best thread hijack eva!

"I lost my job today"

"Oh dear that's sad, in other news *I* GOT A JOB WOOO!!! YEAH !! IN YOUR FACE!!!!"

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
I'm about to go onto Stage IV for Jobseekers. At the end of March I'd have been out of work for 12 months.

Anyone have any inside info on what happens on Stage IV?

Gray

FH is my second home
Not sure about stages, but you generally go on New Deal stuff, which inevitably leads to "return to work" courses, from the likes of Crosby Training and a4e. I was at A4e in December when i ended up getting employment not long after

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah, it's a4e that I'm going to next week. From the little booklet thingy, I have to do 4 weeks work experience which seems weird as I've already done 20 years work experience anyway!!

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah, it's a4e that I'm going to next week. From the little booklet thingy, I have to do 4 weeks work experience which seems weird as I've already done 20 years work experience anyway!!

Really hope things go well for you matey, known you a long time now and I find it crazy how people aren't getting hired with people like you so good at your job (I even remember RecklessEncounters!) :)

I'm in Ireland now and I am seeing a lot of CV's from people who have 15-20 years experience in IT, from all over Ireland and UK, who have been out of jobs for some times 2-3 years. Completely bonkers.

Hope you all find employment soon. :cheers:

Nate

FH is my second home
I'm about to go onto Stage IV for Jobseekers. At the end of March I'd have been out of work for 12 months.

Anyone have any inside info on what happens on Stage IV?

Basically they let you know about the aliens that populated this world originally, Xenu is the overlord.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
Talyn...they send you all to an island and you have to fight it out to the death to get the one job going there.

The bad news is the job is as a buger flipper in McDonalds; the even worse news is the other contestants are Jordan, christopher biggins, vanessa feltz and pete burns.

Sorry man :(

Gray

FH is my second home
A4e was pretty good, i think overall it was a 13week course, and i ended up getting employment in my 4th week there or so, which just happened to coincide with the same week my work experience was starting (huzzah!).

As far as i recall, you would do 3 days work experience at some company, and 2 days at the A4e centre. I had my own personal options that i wanted to try out for work experience, but A4e declined saying "i had to chose from this list" which was mostly charity shops in the local area.

A lot of people knew it was just because they didn't want to do the paperwork though for it, as soon as i tried hard to get my own work experience they let me, but in the end i found out i couldn't anyway so i had to opt for one of the charity stores.

A lot of people where pretty negative about A4e, but i went there open minded. I actually enjoyed my time there quite a bit, but i found that while i was going there i was losing money because they where paying miniscule petrol expenses (They would give you like £2 for the week - big whoop).

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
Basically they let you know about the aliens that populated this world originally, Xenu is the overlord.

I have my vintage suit and plasma cutter fully upgraded with power nodes, so I think I'll be ok... the uni/scientologists won't stand a chance...

Talyn...they send you all to an island and you have to fight it out to the death to get the one job going there.

The bad news is the job is as a buger flipper in McDonalds; the even worse news is the other contestants are Jordan, christopher biggins, vanessa feltz and pete burns.

Sorry man :(

If they're paying for my stint on reality tv, then I'll even wank off a pig for them!! I'll let Wij drink the results...

A4e was pretty good, i think overall it was a 13week course, and i ended up getting employment in my 4th week there or so, which just happened to coincide with the same week my work experience was starting (huzzah!).

As far as i recall, you would do 3 days work experience at some company, and 2 days at the A4e centre. I had my own personal options that i wanted to try out for work experience, but A4e declined saying "i had to chose from this list" which was mostly charity shops in the local area.

A lot of people knew it was just because they didn't want to do the paperwork though for it, as soon as i tried hard to get my own work experience they let me, but in the end i found out i couldn't anyway so i had to opt for one of the charity stores.

A lot of people where pretty negative about A4e, but i went there open minded. I actually enjoyed my time there quite a bit, but i found that while i was going there i was losing money because they where paying miniscule petrol expenses (They would give you like £2 for the week - big whoop).

hmmm, I'm just wondering how working in a shop is going to help with getting a job doing IT support.. maybe it'll be more tailored toward my skills. Losing money was my other concern, after rent & bills, i'm currently left with £61 per month for food shopping, so any cuts into that, and i'm pretty much screwed good and proper. I'm hoping if I have to travel, they'll pay for the bus or train pass. If I need to spend a fiver a week on travel, that cuts my food allowance down to about a tenner a week.

And cheers for the words of support Dreamor, here's keeping fingers crossed...

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
hmmm, I'm just wondering how working in a shop is going to help with getting a job doing IT support.. maybe it'll be more tailored toward my skills.

Sorry mate, but if you've been on benefits for a year now, then stop trying to aim for so small a range of jobs. A job is a job, and it will leave you better off than job seekers. Accept that you might have to do something that doesn't fit your skill set. If you only aim for It support jobs, and think other things are beneath you, then you'll suffer more long term.

Gray

FH is my second home
Yeah the options weren't all that good. The reason gave is that it puts on your CV that you are "work ready" because you have had some form of recent employment.

But the options they provided where very limited, if i recall there was one guy there who was looking for programming or website design and he ended up working at the local dog kennels, but he seemed to enjoy it though so it wasn't all bad.

One thing to note, when you go to A4e the Jobcentre gives you an additional £15 per week so you end up with £95 or so. But it seemed that if you claimed travel expenses, whether it be for bus tickets or petrol, A4e would "take" an admin charge for you. I personally felt it was pretty dodgy, but with the fact they was giving you the extra £15 (Or at least, the Jobcentre) then it balanced itself out.

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
Sorry mate, but if you've been on benefits for a year now, then stop trying to aim for so small a range of jobs. A job is a job, and it will leave you better off than job seekers. Accept that you might have to do something that doesn't fit your skill set. If you only aim for It support jobs, and think other things are beneath you, then you'll suffer more long term.

It 's not that I think it's beneath me, it's just that I'd probably get sacked from a shop job within a week or two from being a lazy bastard. I'm a sit at a desk on the phone kinda guy, not a deal with public face to face, lugging boxes, stacking shelves kinda guy.

I have been applying for other officey type jobs, but I get the "you're over qualified and will be bored and leave in a month" spiel.

But yes, I understand totally, a job is a job, and sometimes you just have to suck it up and do what's needed.

Yeah the options weren't all that good. The reason gave is that it puts on your CV that you are "work ready" because you have had some form of recent employment.

I can see that.

But the options they provided where very limited, if i recall there was one guy there who was looking for programming or website design and he ended up working at the local dog kennels, but he seemed to enjoy it though so it wasn't all bad.

Now that seems much better than shop work.. let's hope there are options like that when I go. That's sounds pretty good!

One thing to note, when you go to A4e the Jobcentre gives you an additional £15 per week so you end up with £95 or so. But it seemed that if you claimed travel expenses, whether it be for bus tickets or petrol, A4e would "take" an admin charge for you. I personally felt it was pretty dodgy, but with the fact they was giving you the extra £15 (Or at least, the Jobcentre) then it balanced itself out.

Interesting. That wasn't mentioned at all, it would be handy, but I won't hold my breath... i'm happy so long as any travel is covered.

Cool, cheers.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Getting experience in a shop is a valid route towards later working in a phone based tech support role. As a manager I would expect to hear someone from that background explaining how they have handled awkward customers without getting flustered etc etc etc.... don't rule it out, it's perfectly sensible.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Talyn - was drunk0r last night, hope I didn't come across as a bastard there - hope you find something.

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
Getting experience in a shop is a valid route towards later working in a phone based tech support role. As a manager I would expect to hear someone from that background explaining how they have handled awkward customers without getting flustered etc etc etc.... don't rule it out, it's perfectly sensible.

My point is, I don't need experience ina shop for tech support, as that's what I've done for 10 years. Working in a shop will gain me no skills that I don't already have.

But yes, for someone coming out of school, agreed.

Talyn - was drunk0r last night, hope I didn't come across as a bastard there - hope you find something.

I'm used to you being a bastard, water off a duck arse or something!! :fluffle:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom