UK Hosting ?

J

Jonty

Please note the original post is below this reply due to a potential database error

Hi xane

123-Reg : Cheap, apparently very popular, but I'm unsure as to the quality of their services

1&1 : Again, cheap with a variety of packages available. Unfortunately, personal experience has shown them to be less impressive once you've parted money and entered into a contract with them, and their support is not as good as one might expect.

FreeParking : A very impressive feature set at a seemingly very low price. Whether this is because they are merely unknown or because they are 'cowboys' is hard to tell. Once again, their site doesn't give the impression one would expect from a company offering such apparently popular services.

NetBenefit : A long-running company which will probably continue for a long time yet. Sadly their prices aren't always competitive, but they must be doing something right to have survived in an era of such 'fly by night' operations. (N.B. They are perhaps more business orientated than other companies).

To that list you might always wish to add FastHosts. An impressive site, with a good range of packages. They're not particularly cheap, but paying annually can produce some signficant savings.

Kind Regards

Jonty

P.S. This is just my personal opinion, so don't take it as gospel! 1&1 prove, sadly, that a fancy website doesn't always equate to a good service. So be careful and continue to shop around.

X

xane

I've been asked to set up a basic website for a charity, so I am looking for something simple and reliable. Money is not an issue but obviously I still want a "budget" cost rather than something that is priced for professional setups.

I'd also want to preferably register the domain with the same company, but this is not so much an issue as I can always use another domain registrar I know of and redirect if necessary.

POP E-mail is not required, but a good sized webspace and stuff like cgi/perl is preferred.

I have a list of UK/Europe based hosting services, so if anyone can offer an opinion on any of them or add to the list I'd be very much appreciated:

123-Reg
1 and 1
34SP
Free Parking
Freedom2surf
SupaNames
NetBenefit

TIA

O

old.TUG

Supanames = shit.

I have a years worth of hosting left with them but I still decided to buy some PROPER hosting and get the nameservers swapped to me new space :p Supanames are slowwww, if you turn stuff on or off in your control panel it fooks up and says you've ran malicious script and your account has been locked (happened to me twice in 2 weeks) and are generally poo. Avoid :)

S

(Shovel)

http://www.burtonhosting.co.uk

I use them for Students' Social and it's very good imho.

£40 a year for 250 meg, 4 GB transfer/month.

Perl/ PHP/ mySQL/ Frontpage Extensions/ SSI/ what you'd expect.

Been very reliable in my experience now (4-5 months). Speed is fine, could be quicker but you get what you pay for.

They'll register a co.uk domain for you for an extra £5 a year.

S

SilverHood

www.easyspace.com

Think you get free hosting if you are a registered charity.
30 megs I think... has a banner on it though.

D

danger

Originally posted by Jonty

To that list you might always wish to add FastHosts. An impressive site, with a good range of packages. They're not particularly cheap, but paying annually can produce some signficant savings.

Amen Jonty, I've used fasthosts before, they provided excellent service, superb speed, GREAT support... emailed replies within an hour several times, a great array of features. True, they may not be THE cheapest, but they're certainly not expensive and you deffinately get what you pay for in my book.

P.S. domain registration is through their sister company UKReg, who have very low rates for domains and make it nice and easy to administer/ transfer your domain online.

Users who are viewing this thread