uber machine (part 2)

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
this is what i have gone for, have chosen ati crossfire sli instead of nvidia quad sli, as i thought crossfire showed better performance then quad sli at present for my needs:

here you go (in no particular order)

NZXT Classic Alu Tower Chassis 2x usb, 4x 5.25" 2x 3.5" Led Cooling fans & Led Thermostat

Asus P5W DH Deluxe i975X Socket 775 WiFi EDITION / CONROE READY /
CROSSFIRE / DUAL Gb LAN / SATA(II) RAID / ATX MOTHERBOARD

OCZ 700W SLI Ready GameXStream PSU

Intel core 2 duo X6800 Extreme edition CPU

Sapphire ATI Radeon X1950 XT-X SILENT Heatpipe 512MB GDDR4 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

ATI Radeon X1950 XT-X ***Crossfire/Master Edition*** SILENT Heatpipe 512MB GDDR4 (PCI-Express)

OCZ 4GB (4 x 1GB) PC2-8000 Dual Channel XTC Platinum Series EL-DDR2 (OCZ2P10002G-K) (MY-066-OC) (yes 4GB of ram!)

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music -

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 11 400GB 6H400F0 SATA-II 16MB Cache

Sony 52x52x24 x16 CDRW/DVD Black Combi Drive ,

Mitsumi Floppy + Card Reader Black ,

Microsoft Media Center 2005 OEM Bundle ONLY ,
Microsoft Media Centre Remote
Microsoft office 2003 pro

ADATA My Flash Pen Drive 4GB PD2 ,
2 x Akasa Serial ATA 45cm Red EL Data Cable
Akasa Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Blue LED A-B Printer/Device Cable

have i forgetten anything?

:m00:

GimmlyTheDorf

Banned

Computer fake or hit the lotto recently? Why would you spend like £400 on office when you can get it free? In 3 months vista and vista Media Centre is getting released.

Also if you're buying all that why haven't you got a few WD Raptor's in raid 0?

There's no £400 7.1 speaker setup in there either ;p

And getting all that in Midi Tower isn't fun.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
GimmlyTheDorf said:

Computer fake or hit the lotto recently? Why would you spend like £400 on office when you can get it free? In 3 months vista and vista Media Centre is getting released.

Also if you're buying all that why haven't you got a few WD Raptor's in raid 0?

There's no £400 7.1 speaker setup in there either ;p

And getting all that in Midi Tower isn't fun.

who says i am paying £400 for office! ebay has its uses :)
i already have another Sata drive to put in, think its a maxtor so kept them the same, i looked at raptors but wasn't sure if they were THAT good

Will upgarde to vista media centre when it comes, the OS didn't cost much anyway.

I already have speakers and the rest, have never particularly liked 7.1 speakers unless they come wireless

i get paid quiet well thought i would upgrade my current rig

GimmlyTheDorf

Banned
scorge said:
who says i am paying £400 for office! ebay has its uses :)
i already have another Sata drive to put in, think its a maxtor so kept them the same, i looked at raptors but wasn't sure if they were THAT good

Will upgarde to vista media centre when it comes, the OS didn't cost much anyway.

I already have speakers and the rest, have never particularly liked 7.1 speakers unless they come wireless

i get paid quiet well thought i would upgrade my current rig

Raptors are the best and office 2003 pro is just easy to free, and 2007 is out really soon.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
GimmlyTheDorf said:
Raptors are the best and office 2003 pro is just easy to free, and 2007 is out really soon.

think i came to the conclusion that i would rather have more storage and less speed for the hardisks for the money, hope i didn't make a mistake there. Would there be that much differance?

GimmlyTheDorf

Banned
scorge said:
think i came to the conclusion that i would rather have more storage and less speed for the hardisks for the money, hope i didn't make a mistake there. Would there be that much differance?

Well if you're going to buy all that you might as well do it properly, you will notice the difference with raptors in raid 0 big time in vista.

Twist

Fledgling Freddie
scorge said:
have i forgetten anything?

Tbh I think you've gone overkill but, if you must spend all that, then get a big-ass TFT (or 2) :p

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Twist said:
Tbh I think you've gone overkill but, if you must spend all that, then get a big-ass TFT (or 2) :p

the problem with a big ass TFT is that its hard to hide from the missues, while a £700 CPU hides away in the case.

Just bought a new 19inch widescreen monitor, will have to do for a while :-(

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Twist said:

managed to get the missues to agree to a samsung 32" lcd hd tv for the PC, the downside is i have to move the bugger into the bedroom and play in bed (when not playing with her), just need an excuse to move it back into the study...

GimmlyTheDorf

Banned
scorge said:
managed to get the missues to agree to a samsung 32" lcd hd tv for the PC, the downside is i have to move the bugger into the bedroom and play in bed (when not playing with her), just need an excuse to move it back into the study...

Use one like it has bad radiation or the wall is too weak or the floor or something.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
GimmlyTheDorf said:
Use one like it has bad radiation or the wall is too weak or the floor or something.

or it makes you infertile!

Hollomere

Fledgling Freddie
I'd change a couple of bits - here's my 2 cents :

Change the 4x 1Gb sticks for 2x2Gb. You will get a faster read (like you will need it with THAT setup) from 2 physical locations rather than 4

Don't bother with buying Office 2003. 2007 beta2 is released for download from Microsoft and is pretty stable. Been running/testing it at work for the last 2 months and its pretty sweet. The licence you get with it is valid until June/July and by then you can get the full version.

Vista is available for download as well at the moment. Again I have it on my laptop at work and it is sweeeeeet graphically. It already has media centre built into it so you have no need to buy it separate. Again the licence is valid until mid next year. Not all things run on it mind you so it would be better to get a cheapo HDD and test it on that before you tinker with your main system

Oh - and if you get bored of the new system you are building... you can always send it me for extended testing :p

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Hollomere said:
Don't bother with buying Office 2003. 2007 beta2 is released for download from Microsoft and is pretty stable. Been running/testing it at work for the last 2 months and its pretty sweet. The licence you get with it is valid until June/July and by then you can get the full version.

Vista is available for download as well at the moment. Again I have it on my laptop at work and it is sweeeeeet graphically. It already has media centre built into it so you have no need to buy it separate. Again the licence is valid until mid next year. Not all things run on it mind you so it would be better to get a cheapo HDD and test it on that before you tinker with your main system
:p

didn't realise that office 2007 beta was available for public download, will grab that later on, as for vista i downloaded the first version, and had a nightmare with getting stuff to config with it, so am a bit hesitant to run it on the new machine till its more stable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom