Types of Lag

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
There are several different types of "lag" or "daoc not responding".

Since people grumble about lag it helps to know what kind of lag you're dealing with so you know who to whinge at and what to say.

1. Frame rate lag.

Causes:
This is what happens when you're standing outside a new shiny keep in the new frontiers and 20 mids come along. Your computer tries to load them all in at once and the HD makes some noise. Depending on how good a computer you have or not this may slow you down.

Symptoms:
Third green circle on the performance-monitor (shift-p) turns to a yellow triangle or a red square.

It's hard to move your character around - looking around is sluggish, pressing buttons on your screen is very unresponsive - sometimes the wrong buttons fire (if you click then move the mouse).

Sometimes the first two performance monitor icons will turn red (this is possibly due to network card drivers not allowing the network card to run well when the cpu is under load) or you may experience a linkdead. This will only happen _after_ the initial fps square turns red.

Solution:
Turn down the graphics stuff in the game - switch off shiny water, turn off shadows. Turn on precaching of armour skins. Reduce the level of detail limit (though this may impact your RvR playing) . Turn off spell effects (/effects self).
If you experience link death problems from this - upgrade your network card drivers. This also solves crashes caused by using portal/djinn stones.
Avoid large groups of enemies.
Avoid new frontiers till you get a better machine - NF with all the fancy keeps etc. is very laggy. ToA havens are also similarly laggy - imagine one of them with people lobbing trebuchets and firing aoes - that's NF.
Upgrade your computer - not always the cheapest of options but if you're looking for a quick fix make sure you've got at least half a gig of ram if you want to play in New Frontiers. It really does chug with less (more than half a gig is good but can cause problems if you're running windows 98 beware).

2. Server lag

Causes:
This sometimes happens when the server is very busy. It used to be the 4.2 encounter (Fortress of Storms) would lag the server to death (this has been relieved somewhat by recent patches). Having 500 people all dancing in the same zone having a tea-party also has similar effect.

Symptoms:
Unresponsive to actions. Your character moves around fine on the server, you can look around without any problems everything is nice and smooth. But when you say something it takes 10 or 20 seconds to process. Sometimes the server goes boom and you get booted from the game with a "Server has reported an error" message.
Note that the performance monitor (shift-p) will show a green circle for the first two icons in this case (the third one is purely about your fps - see above). If either of these two are showing red then it's not likely to be server lag - it's more likely to be connection lag - see type 3.

Solution:
Don't take 500 people to a tea party ;)
New patches improve server stability, fix overly stressful encounters.
New hardware makes it harder for the server to crash/able to cope with more people in the one place.
None of these are simple solutions unfortunately.

3. Connection lag

Causes:
This is what happens when something on the lines between you and the servers breaks down. e.g. ISP has problems, flakey router on opentransit, etc.

Symptoms:
Things are unresponsive much like type 2. You can look around with no problems, press buttons etc. but it takes a long time for any messages to get through.

Solution:
Run traceroutes/pingplotter to find out where the problem is - might be your ISP is sucking, if so whinge to them. Opentransit recently has had some problems - take a pingplotter graph and send it to RightNow which they can then pass on.

In the past there have been network configurations at GOA causing intermittent problems - a pingplot will also show this up so sending it to RightNow helps.

Sometimes it's just your ISP having a sucky day and everything will be back to normal after an hour or so (have had my cable modem go down for half a day at a time before - thankfully not often).

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
Symptoms:
Unresponsive to actions. Your character moves around fine on the server, you can look around without any problems everything is nice and smooth. But when you say something it takes 10 or 20 seconds to process. Sometimes the server goes boom and you get booted from the game with a "Server has reported an error" message.
Note that the performance monitor (shift-p) will show a green circle for the first two icons in this case (the third one is purely about your fps - see above). If either of these two are showing red then it's not likely to be server lag - it's more likely to be connection lag - see type 3.

Wouldn't it have just been easier to say that server-side lag won't reigster on the perf. monitor? :p

Nice description though, I thought I knew slightly more than the average player but once again my fragile ego has been dealt a crippling blow. I hate you! ;)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Archeon said:
Wouldn't it have just been easier to say that server-side lag won't reigster on the perf. monitor? :p

Nice description though, I thought I knew slightly more than the average player but once again my fragile ego has been dealt a crippling blow. I hate you! ;)

yeah but people would go "what's the perf monitor?" tried to make it as accessible to the masses as possible :)

As always, I aim to please ;)

boppas

Fledgling Freddie
Lag is also possibly caused by the servers being cr@p.. I will never forget the day I went into town & bought DAoC for the first time ..after reading the back of the box i recall summit similar to this:

"Engage in Large scale battles" what they forgot to mention is there servers can't handle it & you will go "Link Dead" alot ;)

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
boppas said:
Lag is also possibly caused by the servers being cr@p.. I will never forget the day I went into town & bought DAoC for the first time ..after reading the back of the box i recall summit similar to this:

"Engage in Large scale battles" what they forgot to mention is there servers can't handle it & you will go "Link Dead" alot
wink.gif
Unless all the players within a zone get the message "You have been disconnected by the server", the server itself is not to blame for the disconnection. And even so, the few zonecrashes we've had in the past year were caused by bugs in the server software.

I don't think that it was explicitly said in this thread, but, linkdeaths are either caused by a faulty connection, your computer not being able to deal with the stress of a large scale battle or a combination of both.

boppas

Fledgling Freddie
The thing is, ive only ever LD on DAoC & no other mmorpg's ive played such as SWG / AC2 etc.. its ONLY DAoC ive ever LD on

Going LD when porting to Ligen 9/10 (weather its from a /rel or from a keep) aint to do with my con or PC because if i /rel house then port to ligen form there... its fine ...it only happens if i /rel to ligen from within the frontier

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
boppas said:
The thing is, ive only ever LD on DAoC & no other mmorpg's ive played such as SWG / AC2 etc.. its ONLY DAoC ive ever LD on

Going LD when porting to Ligen 9/10 (weather its from a /rel or from a keep) aint to do with my con or PC because if i /rel house then port to ligen form there... its fine ...it only happens if i /rel to ligen from within the frontier

im afraid that makes me believe it has more to do with you PC...generally because NF is more memory hungry than any other zone..and therefore places more strain on your PC than any other zone.

Sarnat

Fledgling Freddie
A friend of mine had problems with his graphics card, w2k and sp4. His computer would just bluescreen and reboot at certain places in ToA, for example. It would always happen at the same places, also.

I think him upgrading to XP has solved some of the probs. Also w2k and some integrated network cards didn't work too well. Two people in my guild would constantly LD with the integrated card. When they installed another ethernet card, both had no LD problems anymore.

boppas

Fledgling Freddie
Neffneff said:
im afraid that makes me believe it has more to do with you PC...generally because NF is more memory hungry than any other zone..and therefore places more strain on your PC than any other zone.

I still dont understand,

If i port to a keep thats under siege (say DC for example) which ive ported to many times when theres been an RR on & 80+ enemy outside i dont LD..

I port to ligen after /rel usually that has a few BB's standing about...I LD :( ?

Sarnat

Fledgling Freddie
It has something to do with DL and your computer, I'm afraid... It's not the number of people, it's just DL. Do you LD if you release and walk to there from other bind stone?

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Neffneff said:
im presuming you missed the

in that news?

sorry if im off target..just dont really understand why you posted that?

he's maybe going "woot it's famous!" :)

the LDing on release to DL sounds like a network card issue - I get fps lag when I move _away_ from zergs as well as towards them (as it cleans up). Used to be hideous lag when leaving castle sauvage heading north when the pad was full. Upgrade your network card drivers and it should no longer stop communicating when your CPU is overloaded.

And on the server crashes - see type 2, cunningly called "server lag" :)

Bloodaxe_Springskalle

Fledgling Freddie
Daedalus said:
Unless all the players within a zone get the message "You have been disconnected by the server", the server itself is not to blame for the disconnection. And even so, the few zonecrashes we've had in the past year were caused by bugs in the server software.

I don't think that it was explicitly said in this thread, but, linkdeaths are either caused by a faulty connection, your computer not being able to deal with the stress of a large scale battle or a combination of both.

if everyone in one zone go LD it's called zonecrash ^^
if several people go LD it's probably the server throwing out a few ppl to relieve stress.
if 1 person or several ppl from the same area goes LD it's probably his/their ISP or computer or something like that.

GOA is responsible for their connection, if several ppl with different ISP's have problems connecting or staying ingame due to poor ping etc. it's their problem to fix, not ours.
pingplots or not, it's GOA's responsibility to locate and fix their problems not their customers.

everyone that provided pingplots should charge GOA 10€ for the job.
they asked for a service and should pay for it accordingly ^^

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
boppas said:
I still dont understand,

If i port to a keep thats under siege (say DC for example) which ive ported to many times when theres been an RR on & 80+ enemy outside i dont LD..

I port to ligen after /rel usually that has a few BB's standing about...I LD :( ?

liegen have some serious problem. thats the only place in hib i have problems staying in the game.. that entire keep is buggered.. going down to ~1 fps and yellow/red on packetloss and latency...

no problem on the other border keep. or any of the mid/alb border keeps.. just liegen.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Bloodaxe_Springskalle said:
if everyone in one zone go LD it's called zonecrash ^^
if several people go LD it's probably the server throwing out a few ppl to relieve stress.
if 1 person or several ppl from the same area goes LD it's probably his/their ISP or computer or something like that.

GOA is responsible for their connection, if several ppl with different ISP's have problems connecting or staying ingame due to poor ping etc. it's their problem to fix, not ours.
pingplots or not, it's GOA's responsibility to locate and fix their problems not their customers.

everyone that provided pingplots should charge GOA 10€ for the job.
they asked for a service and should pay for it accordingly ^^

Customer: I have lag fix it please!

Goa: <checks servers and network, green lights everywhere> Where is the lag coming from? Our network is fine.

Customer: I'm not going to tell you. Just fix it!

Goa: ...

Malcolm

Can't get enough of FH
I was having a problem on releasing in Thid twice yesterday (and once just after entering Abandoned Mines. On returning to the portal keep just the middle performance monitor icon was red. I could see people chatting in the chat window and see a couple of people moving about. But looking at the same place in my 2nd account I could see more people. Was unable to buff myself. About a minute later the left performance monitor icon turned red and i was dumped out of the game. (plus the first time I left the portal keep I saw my first ever XP BSoD and when I logged back in I was suffering the effects of rez sickness and at the bindstone at Snow Station).

Just got a new PC (AMD64 XP4000+, Asus A8N SLI Deluxe mobo, 2 x Geforce 6800GT) and copied over my files. After a full reinstall of XP Pro as Mesh had bolloxed up their install and it wouldn't boot fully into XP Pro even in Safe Mode.

So I've reinstalled Catas from scratch now and switched from the nforce gigabit network card to the 2nd onboard one to the second onboard NIC onboard one (MARVELL PCI Gbit LAN controller) - hope this fixes it

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
Malcolm said:
Just got a new PC (AMD64 XP4000+, Asus A8N SLI Deluxe mobo, 2 x Geforce 6800GT) and copied over my files.

tbh, you were just looking for any excuse to show off yer new PC ^^

Gribz0r

Fledgling Freddie
I have the same motherboard. The nvidia gigabit networcard sux monkeyballs. The connection is never stable and will disconnect you for one second then reconnect.

The Marvel Yukon is the one you want to use.

Oh and while there are so many complaints about the daoc servers. Why does it take freddyshouse half a minute to show me the page I want to see? I think Freddyshouse needs some new hampsters.

Malcolm

Can't get enough of FH
Neffneff said:
tbh, you were just looking for any excuse to show off yer new PC ^^

How dare you accuse me of showing of my Athlon 64 XP4000+, Asus A8N SLI Deluxe, 1GB PC3200, 2 x Geforce 6800GT (SLI), Audigy 2 ZS (wish I had the platinum pro though), 2 x 200GB SATA HD, DVD-ROM, Dual Layer DVD Rewriter, how dare you ! :)

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
Malcolm said:
How dare you accuse me of showing of my Athlon 64 XP4000+, Asus A8N SLI Deluxe, 1GB PC3200, 2 x Geforce 6800GT (SLI), Audigy 2 ZS (wish I had the platinum pro though), 2 x 200GB SATA HD, DVD-ROM, Dual Layer DVD Rewriter, how dare you ! :)

there yer go..let it all out....

:)

Malcolm

Can't get enough of FH
Gribz0r said:
I have the same motherboard. The nvidia gigabit networcard sux monkeyballs. The connection is never stable and will disconnect you for one second then reconnect.

The Marvel Yukon is the one you want to use.

Oh and while there are so many complaints about the daoc servers. Why does it take freddyshouse half a minute to show me the page I want to see? I think Freddyshouse needs some new hampsters.

Well I'm now using the Yukon, hopefully this will sort it - although I did have one LD last night (and again it didn't affect the 2nd computer) - if I get frequent LDs I might try disabling Kerio Personal Firewall on my PC and see if that stops it, or hook up the old 10/100 Switch i was using until Friday to the Gigabit one and plug my PC and router modem into the old one.

Libertine

One of Freddy's beloved
Lag today on hib/excal has been terrible and its not my isp as a rl friend 100 miles away on a different ISP is getting the same lag.

Malcolm

Can't get enough of FH
Malcolm said:
So I've reinstalled Catas from scratch now and switched from the nforce gigabit network card to the 2nd onboard one to the second onboard NIC onboard one (MARVELL PCI Gbit LAN controller) - hope this fixes it

I've also followed the advice in a related thread in the Tech Support forum with regard to disabling Hardware Checksum which seems to be an issue with nForce 4 mobos. No idea whether it's working because of "real" lag. Sent my pingplot via RightNow which clearly showed the lag occuring between an opentransit address to excalibur server

Jaison X

Fledgling Freddie
i have pentium 4 2ghz 512rim(crap P IV memory.) gforce 5xxx something 128mb ram.

never have connection problems, but my pc with the worst grafic features, goes mad.. ^^ in camlann, that means, not in NF ^^ even in any SI city, or also any inner, i have lag when inc. Its like 2 loadings, one before i see, and other just when i see. that last one ends in 3-4secs very bad ^^

but i supose, its my crap PC ^^

Teslacoil

Can't get enough of FH
having some strange lagspikes atm , and i reinstalled pingplotter but dang i can't find the right ip to check.....need this info aswell thx.

peder

Fledgling Freddie
cider spider

one ting that can be lags is many times not of thinksy tings
it is thee supah sizy lovely ciiidersss :drink:
when you have the drinks you can lag to walls of zons
maybe you seens me in corner of vanerns wits thee spiiidersss

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom