.txt .exe windows madness!

kirennia

Part of the furniture
DO NOT TRY THIS!

Okay so this is probably the stupidest bug windows XP has that I've found yet.

DO NOT TRY THIS!

I really mean that, do not try it. Never EVER EVER make a text document containing anything you want really and rename it as .exe. I've tried going through all the normal means, command prompt, simple delete, open the file in notepad and edit it in there, run it as a win95prog, close down everything I can, safe mode, even debug using a coding program and none of it seems to want to work.

I simple cannot remove this file. I'm pretty sure there is a way to do it but this 0byte program is now stuck on my desktop and I'm not sure how to get rid of it.

It refuses to be moved, deleted or anything so if anyone knows how to get rid of it, please say so.

I was thinking of putting this in the technical discussion but it's nothing to do with camelot really so thought I'd put in a 'hatred of microsoft' thread for the shear hell of it. I mean really, this bug is still there years after XP came out? :( How bloody stupid.

Just to reiterate : DO NOT TRY THIS!

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Easy if you are running 32bit XP.

Start -> Run -> Command [enter]
Navigate to your desktop using the 8bit filename structure, delete file.

Congax

Fledgling Freddie
Funny, I can just delete it tbh :p

edit: wtf, why is my sig not workin? :(

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
i had some files in windows vista were the names was to long to be delted, renamed or moved :p was very anoying. .

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I had some files on my hard drive and when i highlighted them it prompted me to format lol. couldn't do naff all with them.

Reformatted the pc in the end

Coolan

One of Freddy's beloved
If you find that you cant delete it through the command prompt you will need to create a dos bootable cd/floppy which supports ntfs partions, once youve done that you can use that to navigate to the file and delete it, the reason it wont do it through the command prompt is that windows belives the file is still in use so wont let you.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Morale: Don't run Windows XP :p (ok I admit I run it on my buffbot comp :p )

Ezteq

Queen of OT
i totally didnt understand what you said though i kind of got that it was a bad thing but ilike so want to actually try what you said not to right now its making me twitchy :(

kirennia

Part of the furniture
i totally didnt understand what you said though i kind of got that it was a bad thing but ilike so want to actually try what you said not to right now its making me twitchy :(

ehh? :)

Ezteq

Queen of OT
*twitch*

still havent done it but man i really want to seeing as you keep saying DO NOT DO THIS!!!!

its like if i see a button saying "DO NOT PRESS>>> UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!" i just gotta press it :(

Levin

Can't get enough of FH
Ez...

DO NOT SEND ME 1000 QUID IN USED BILLS!

:D

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
Morale: Don't run Windows XP :p (ok I admit I run it on my buffbot comp :p )

1win31.jpg

Bluesky

Fledgling Freddie
I simple cannot remove this file. I'm pretty sure there is a way to do it but this 0byte program is now stuck on my desktop and I'm not sure how to get rid of it.

It refuses to be moved, deleted or anything so if anyone knows how to get rid of it, please say so.

If the methods above ppl have suggested dont work then it can be deleted from another pc on the network (if you have another networked pc ofc) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom