Two things...

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Lets start a thread where we list two things you really should have known about your country but only just recently found out :)

1. Swedish is not swedens official language.

2. Sweden does not have a "legal" national anthem, the one we use is officially a nordic psalm that we "stole" but it isn't composed for sweden alone.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
hardly a suprise, most national anthems are a sham!

denmark has two i believe one for the royals and one for when they are not there?

and Finlands national anthem is based on a tune for an old german drinking song...

the list goes on!

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
Scotland are the only country who arent allowed to fly their national flag, the Saltire, on their national day above the Union flag

Scottish Sterling notes arent legal tender

throdgrain

FH is my second home
And we dont fly the cross of st George above the Union Jack either I expect?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
What is the official language then?

as far as i could find, we don't have one. all i could see is that we have 5 official minority languages (where one is Yiddish) o_O

well, obviously swedish practically is the official language, but it has yet to pass any votes in the government to make it official legally.

or something.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well, nothing much i didn't know, but this tidbit is more international;

Finland is the only country in the world which broadcasts news in Latin.

HAven't seen any but, if it's on the internets :p

Also evidently we're the least corrupt and most democratic country...in the world.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
... with one of the highest suicide rates going. Must be a hell of a place.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Well, nothing much i didn't know, but this tidbit is more international;

Finland is the only country in the world which broadcasts news in Latin.

HAven't seen any but, if it's on the internets :p

Also evidently we're the least corrupt and most democratic country...in the world.

fyi latest stats show New Zealand and Denmark above Finland in least corrupt countries! finland is joint 2nd (if thats possible with a joint first place?!?!)

and well, if you have high suicide rates... if they fail their suicide attempt at least the hospitals are brilliant :p

rynnor

Rockhound
Hawai'i was once a sovereign state till white settlers encouraged the US to annex it - its largest racial group is now fillipinos followed by japanese followed by 9% with actual Hawai'ian blood...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
fyi latest stats show New Zealand and Denmark above Finland in least corrupt countries! finland is joint 2nd (if thats possible with a joint first place?!?!)

and well, if you have high suicide rates... if they fail their suicide attempt at least the hospitals are brilliant :p

Ah, well silver is good too.

And yeah, when the evil lord sauron rises and brings forth the dark ages over this land...err i mean winter, does make people a bit depressed. It's basically 4 months(atleast) of no sun as you're working the sun parts.

The healthcare is brilliant though :D

Cyradix

FH is my second home
"French fries" are belgian

Potatoes were fried in 1680 in the Spanish Netherlands, in the area of "the Meuse valley between Dinant and Liège, Belgium. The poor inhabitants of this region allegedly had the custom of accompanying their meals with small fried fish, but when the river was frozen and they were unable to fish, they cut potatoes lengthwise and fried them in oil to accompany their meals."
Many Belgians believe that the term "French" was introduced when American soldiers arrived in Belgium during World War I, and consequently tasted Belgian fries. They supposedly called them "French", as it was the official language of the Belgian Army at that time.

"Les frites" (French) or "Frieten" (Dutch) became the national snack and a substantial part of several national dishes.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Britain has more slags than the rest of the E.U combined, just visit any high street in the land on a Saturday night for conclusive proof or even better any Spanish holiday resort in the summer. Slags'R'Us! :D

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You make it sound as if it's a bad thing.

What happened to you Cho?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom