Two accounts + LDing

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
I just upgraded my pc a bit, specs are:

P2.53ghz Northwood
1gig Geil RAM
Aopen Cube
TI4200 (old I know)

One account runs absolutely fine. Great loading speed, no problems at all.

Two accounts (window mode) run fine. Alt tabbing is instant, have no problems...until the one in the background LDs. This isn't because I don't alt tab and move the char, it can happen very quickly sometimes.

Any ideas?

I am on Windows XP Pro, SP2, latest drivers and updates as far as I know.

Dracus

Fledgling Freddie
In my experience its almost all the GFX card...my radeon 9800pro only reaches extreme temps when i dual account in daoc...i can play other gfx heavy games and its no way near the same temp.

Just a guess tho.

/Dracus

flink

Fledgling Freddie
Set the process priority on both accounts to low and u can even run them on stick! :p

Open the task manager and right click on the process -> set to low.

Many ppl turn up the process priority to high, but that only makes things worse. Set both accounts to low and u'll get alot better performance =)

/F.

Danamyr

Fledgling Freddie
This has got nothing to do with your hardware mate - you PC is fine.

The last patch introduced an 'feature' for people running 2 accounts on one PC. The symptoms are exactly as you describe, one account (generally the one running in the background) will periodically LD.

There's little you can do about it, but it is a factor of one client stealing a wholly disproportinate amount of system resources.

The next patch introduces 'client sleep' which is a vast improvement. Currently, 2 instances of DAoC on one PC use a fairly similar amount of system resources. When client sleep runs, it allows the background client to remain running, but consuming a lot less CPU and RAM.

I'd suggest you just stick with it for now.

If you really can't, then Google for 'Hare+CPU' and download the application. It's an intelligent system resource balancing application that will allow both clients an equal share of CPU and RAM. I have used it myself, and it does work!

HTH :)

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Brilliant!

Thanks for the great replies :)

I'll test out using low priority and that prog you mentioned.

Can't run SI on bot...want it on TOA half the time.

Cheers!

Tir

Fledgling Freddie
I run 2 accounts with very few problems, on a worse machine than yours, even with patch 1.69 - just got more memory a few days afterwards which sorted out the fact my bot refused to stay stuck in this version.

I don't know whether you do this, but I have 2 installations, so my bot account has crap old trees, old terrain etc, when the main account looks shiny. I sometimes lag a bit, but have not encountered the horrible LD problems some have.

Dunno if it makes any difference, but might be worth a shot if nothing else works. :)

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
/bump

that Hare tool works perfectly, thanks alot :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom