Tv

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
Right, my present TV just died on me.

Had a towel over it and a few minutes ago it just died. And now won't turn back on.

I need a new TV. Pref around the 200 quid mark. Nothing fancy or completely pointless. It just has to show the picture the right way round and the sound has to sound vaguely right.

Cheers.

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
Im not exactly sure what you can get for 200 quid but my mate recently got a lovely 32" sony trinitron widescreen thingy from an ex rental place for dead cheap, its a lovely set.. I got a 28" philips one from a similar shop and it only cost me £100...might be worth a look? hope that helps :)

GDW

Fledgling Freddie
You cant beat a good old fashioned radiator for drying out your towels. TVs just dont work so well.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Is it completely, totally dead, or are there signs of life as you press the power switch?

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
The button goes in goes click. And nothing happens.

It all died in a small *psst* noise and pictured died :( Mid way into BOB as well.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Ok this is really obvious, but have you checked the mains fuse in the plug? I'm sure you have, so take the back off the TV (leave it unplugged for a couple of hours first for the caps to discharge), and see if there is a fuse on the power supply. It should be right next to where the blue/brown power cables connect to the PCB.

If that fuse is ok, then its probably cheaper not to repair it, unfortunately. If the fuse has blown, the type of fuse will be printed around the metal ends of the body.

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
Fuse is fine.

And i am gonna pass on opening it up. As 1) i really cannot be arsed 2) I like life and 3) excuse for a new tele.

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
I had a similar problem with my monitor once (window open+rain), but I was able to see, but the screen was messed up (the width was smaller than what it supposed to be). My guess was that due to high humidity the capacitors weren't working properly, allthough I think that having no screen means something is broken (or a fuse needs to be replaced). However might be worth checking wether the TV works in the morning or it is still dead.

L_Plates

Fledgling Freddie
Just got a bush 28" widescreen for 240 from littlewoods if that helps

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Can get some great buys for tvs on ebay - if you're patient. I got meself a fantastic 28" widescreen with all the goodies for a mere 150 squid. Woot.

Damini

Part of the furniture
Safeways frequently do deals on Widescreen televisions, and also home theatre systems to go with it for equally low prices. It's not brand names, but if you're looking for lowest cost there's the place to look.

Otherwise, www.unbeatable.co.uk do some good offers, or at least did way back when me and Kenny got our beefy 32" widescreen telly.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Deadmanwalking said:
Had a towel over it and a few minutes ago it just died. And now won't turn back on.
Are you German?

granny

Fledgling Freddie
If the telly's really dead dead then the cathode ray tubes make a superb noise when you drop them down an open lift shaft.

Well, more when they reach the bottom as opposed to when you drop them to be honest...

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
ORRRR, whack the screen with a hammer, thats really funny.......not for you though but make sure you have lots of friends watching.

ManDevil

One of Freddy's beloved
I've got a 28 inch Thompson ;)

£250 Widescreen Nicam Virtual Dolby etc. Pretty good for the money. 'Comet'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom