Advice TV providers - how do you do it?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Yeh sorry it's easier, I take them to France to play there. I could never quite cope with DVD copying. Internet is crap there, have tried to watch things on line but it's hopeless.

I have my head in my hands here. Even if online is garbage, VHS? Even DVD is shockingly old school. What's wrong with an SD card?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
My wife got the arse on because I was going to throw out a load of videos, most of Vic and Bob's old stuff, bottom etc.

We haven't owned a video player in about 10 years...

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Stick it on a memory stick. Dont need to burn it onto dvd these days . I dont have a dvd or blu ray attached to my tv any more. Apart from the ps4. But its not used for playing tv programs.

What tv do u have in france?

My aunt and uncle still record things on tv to their vhs which then then watch back on a flat screen. Lol

Must look awful

sayward

Resident Freddy
Stick it on a memory stick. Dont need to burn it onto dvd these days . I dont have a dvd or blu ray attached to my tv any more. Apart from the ps4. But its not used for playing tv programs.

What tv do u have in france?

My aunt and uncle still record things on tv to their vhs which then then watch back on a flat screen. Lol

Must look awful
Samsung. Just it works for me.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
So a flat screen? Some of them let you plug thumb drives staight in to play files.

So much better and faster than vhs.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Every time you step inside a supermarket, the products you're likely to buy are only on those shelves because of advertising; the pact between manufacturer and retailer is that products are supported by advertising, otherwise they won't get stocked. So even if you're all "ads have no impact on me, blah, blah", yes they do, because as an individual choices about the products you get are being made elsewhere on the basis of ad budgets.
I never said I could elimanate it's effects - but I can not be directly influenced by it.

In the supermarket we buy vegetables and occasionally some meat. (And fizzy water for the missus). Nothing else*. And I've never seen an advert saying "eat leeks, they're ace" or "carrots ftw!" or "if you don't eat swede you need your swede looking at".

I buy very very little. But yes, everyone is affected by advertising. Some more than others tho.

*occasionally we buy oils & mustard, and very rarely ice cream. but other than that, vegetables (and shitroll) is what the supermarket is for. They could shrink it down to a single isle and I'd be happy about that :)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I never said I could elimanate it's effects - but I can not be directly influenced by it.

In the supermarket we buy vegetables and occasionally some meat. (And fizzy water for the missus). Nothing else*. And I've never seen an advert saying "eat leeks, they're ace" or "carrots ftw!" or "if you don't eat swede you need your swede looking at".

I buy very very little. But yes, everyone is affected by advertising. Some more than others tho.

*occasionally we buy oils & mustard, and very rarely ice cream. but other than that, vegetables (and shitroll) is what the supermarket is for. They could shrink it down to a single isle and I'd be happy about that :)
You never eat baked beans? Toast?

georgie

FH is my second home
Or clean anything? The toilet, yourself, your house?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Or clean anything? The toilet, yourself, your house?
You're being silly now, I even mentioned shitroll, so add washing up liquid/toothpaste to that. But none of those purchasing habits are influenced directly by advertising. I wouldn't even know if they still advertise that shit. Do they? If they do it's so 1980's...

Often tho, I'll buy that crap in bulk if my mate's going to Costco. Who gives a fuck what you get eh?

You never eat baked beans? Toast?
Don't eat much bread. Most of the bread you buy is chock full of shite and preservatives anyway. If we do get it it tends to be a wholemeal full of seeds and grains from an artisan producer. Get through half, slice and freeze the rest for when it's needed (otherwise it won't last). Very rarely eat baked beans on toast - I tend to eat a lot of eggs, which I get from a mate who has chickens of his own (that are properly "free range" as they run around all day on his allotment). A dozen a week does me.

We never ever buy pre-made meals or pre-made part meals (like oven chips). Fresh produce, home made food all the way. It's convenient because if we do make a big batch we can freeze stuff, so the microwave still gets use.

All the rest of the shit they sell in supermarkets is for pesants. I'm really happy to be a food snob. :)

Edit:
I know I'm going to get ridiculed for this but:
Or clean anything....yourself
Gave up all detergent / soap use on myself a couple of years ago. Best. Decision. Ever.

I used to suffer with really dry skin on my face quite badly and a fair bit of dandruff. Had to wash and moisturise on a very regular pattern or it'd be bad. Now wash daily with water only (flannel to scrape any mud/dead skin off). Skin is perfect. No moisturising, no dandruff, no chemicals of any kind (shampoo / soap and moisturisers are a wadge of cash that goes on beer instead).

Smell less too. I think half of any body odour is your skin's reaction to the shit you put on it. And I was always paranoid about BO. Not because I smelled bad (I've always been scrupulously clean) - just was. (Turns out my sister's a cleanliness OCD type - so I can see why now).

Hair is clean, body isn't greasy, don't smell. Who'd have thunk that humans could live fine this way, y'know, the way we evolved to?! :)

Last edited:

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
You know that for the last few monthsthere has been kandatory keeping birds under cover and not allowed free range cause of bird flu. That includes pet birds and small numbers of chickens :).

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
You're being silly now, I even mentioned shitroll, so add washing up liquid/toothpaste to that. But none of those purchasing habits are influenced directly by advertising. I wouldn't even know if they still advertise that shit. Do they? If they do it's so 1980's...

Often tho, I'll buy that crap in bulk if my mate's going to Costco. Who gives a fuck what you get eh?

Don't eat much bread. Most of the bread you buy is chock full of shite and preservatives anyway. If we do get it it tends to be a wholemeal full of seeds and grains from an artisan producer. Get through half, slice and freeze the rest for when it's needed (otherwise it won't last). Very rarely eat baked beans on toast - I tend to eat a lot of eggs, which I get from a mate who has chickens of his own (that are properly "free range" as they run around all day on his allotment). A dozen a week does me.

We never ever buy pre-made meals or pre-made part meals (like oven chips). Fresh produce, home made food all the way. It's convenient because if we do make a big batch we can freeze stuff, so the microwave still gets use.

All the rest of the shit they sell in supermarkets is for pesants. I'm really happy to be a food snob. :)

Edit:
I know I'm going to get ridiculed for this but:

Gave up all detergent / soap use on myself a couple of years ago. Best. Decision. Ever.

I used to suffer with really dry skin on my face quite badly and a fair bit of dandruff. Had to wash and moisturise on a very regular pattern or it'd be bad. Now wash daily with water only (flannel to scrape any mud/dead skin off). Skin is perfect. No moisturising, no dandruff, no chemicals of any kind (shampoo / soap and moisturisers are a wadge of cash that goes on beer instead).

Smell less too. I think half of any body odour is your skin's reaction to the shit you put on it. And I was always paranoid about BO. Not because I smelled bad (I've always been scrupulously clean) - just was. (Turns out my sister's a cleanliness OCD type - so I can see why now).

Hair is clean, body isn't greasy, don't smell. Who'd have thunk that humans could live fine this way, y'know, the way we evolved to?! :)
I have really dry hands..so bad it makes me drop smooth things, have to have a silicone cover on my phone and vaseline intensive care everywhere I go.
If I use soap on my hands, have to moisturise quick or end up itching like mad.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
My wife got the arse on because I was going to throw out a load of videos, most of Vic and Bob's old stuff, bottom etc.

We haven't owned a video player in about 10 years...
I have the same issue, we have a box full of VHS cassettes, we still do have her old VHS/DVD player but it's not connected and is just collecting dust in a closet.

As for TV we have Comcast basic cable. I like to be able to pick up new shows on TV, watch the news or just have it on in the background. The craziness of commercials in the US makes it a real pain to watch any movies, especially new ones. 110 minute long movie, three hour timeslot... that's 40 minutes of commercials...
My options to Comcast in my area is... No TV at all.

And my internet is too crap to support streaming services.

:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom