TV TV Licence

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
[For uni]

I'm not taking a TV with me, because I'm not paying a TV licence fee to watch TV for 3-4 hours a week - pointless.

I've read the stuff on it, but I can't work out if it means I have to pay licence fee if I watch iPlayer/4OD etc, because I thought foreigners could use it now anyway?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
You need a license for iPlayer.

You don't need a license for anything non-Beeb.

Athan

Resident Freddy
http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/playing_tv_progs/tvlicence

You do not need a television licence to catch-up on television programmes in BBC iPlayer, only when you watch or record at the same time (or virtually the same time) as it is being broadcast or otherwise distributed to the public. In BBC iPlayer, this is through the Watch Live simulcast option.
Anyone in the UK watching or recording television as it's being broadcast or simulcast on any device - including mobiles, laptops and PCs - must, by law, be covered by a valid TV licence.
A 'live' TV programme is a programme, which is watched or recorded at the same time (or virtually the same time) as it is being broadcast or otherwise distributed to members of the public. As a general rule, if a person is watching a programme on a computer or other device at the same time as it is being shown on TV then the programme is 'live'. This is sometimes known as simulcasting.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I thought it was only live broadcasts?

edit, beat me to it :)

- English -

Resident Freddy
Who cares, they send you 10 letters notifying you need a TV licence, then 5 final warning letters by which time you have moved out your uni house.

Gwadien

But what if I use a Laptop say, brought from home, which is therefore covered by that license?

Because I was reading that if it's battery powered you can get away with it (legally) - IE your phone, but if using Wi-Fi, perhaps not?

Who cares, they send you 10 letters notifying you need a TV licence, then 5 final warning letters by which time you have moved out your uni house.
'cos I'm gonna be in student accommodation - ie I'll get a direct bollocking, rather than letters :p

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You need a licence to watch or record any live broadcast, no matter what channel it's on, in the UK.

However, you do not need a licence to watch programmes on iPlayer, provided they're not being broadcast live. So if you want to watch Eastenders from Monday, you're fine.

And the TV licence people have no power of entry to your accommodation - none.

Gwadien

You need a licence to watch or record any live broadcast, no matter what channel it's on, in the UK.

However, you do not need a licence to watch programmes on iPlayer, provided they're not being broadcast live. So if you want to watch Eastenders from Monday, you're fine.

And the TV licence people have no power of entry to your accommodation - none.
I'm upset you assumed I watch Eastenders. QQ

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I bet your more of an Emerdale man.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
TV licence in DK £20,- pr. month - even if you only own a mobile
them smart, call it Media licence... :/

I have stopped the tv license for my house. I realized I hardly watched any live tv as I have my computer rigged up so that it is connected to the tv and I was using this to watch films and so on. I read up on it and decided to stop paying for the license and get a refund - which I got. Apparently they send someone around to check but I have no qualms about this as I don't watch any live tv ever. I find I pay more attention to the news now because I read up on it. It is an experiment really just to see if I can do without it for a long period of time. Not sure I can yet but I will probably stick it out as it makes no sense to me to have to pay it in the first place. Read up on it here:

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/what-if-a-tv-licence-is-not-needed-top12/

I watch BBC iPlayer a little and loads of films but I sense at this point in time that I will be making more use of my time and taking up a worthwhile hobby (s) soon. I do already have quite a few along with my website work but there are times when I have time on my hands and twiddling my thumbs a bit. Not good as it can lead to me messing about like posting on forums where I shouldn't and so on.

Chilly

Balls of steel
This is only going to get more common, I wonder how the BBC will cope in, say, 50 years when the licence fee has dried up?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The only good thing about the BBC is I-player and cheap to make documentaries. I could live without the organisation tbh.

ileks

Part of the furniture
Our kitchen used to get spammed with TV license letters all the time in first year. They try to scare you into buying one with all sorts of shit (this is your final final final warning!) even if you clearly don't have a TV.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Don't worry about it, unless they actually catch you watching live TV then they can't do shit. I think during my four years of student housing, we paid for one years worth of TV because the guy saw my housemate watching tv through the curtains.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Don't worry about it, unless they actually catch you watching live TV then they can't do shit. I think during my four years of student housing, we paid for one years worth of TV because the guy saw my housemate watching tv through the curtains.

He really spied through the curtains?

Who gets such a job eh? Ain't exactly going to impress the girlies is it. 'What do you do for a living then?'. 'Oh I am a TV license enforcer'. Bet he sure pulls with that line.

I suppose a job is a job at the end of the day. 'Desperate times calls for desperate measures'.

Oops I answered my own question.

Last edited:

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
TV licence in DK £20,- pr. month - even if you only own a mobile
them smart, call it Media licence... :/

Yeah they're trying the same shit here in Sweden now to. Basically i need a TV license just because i have fucking internet as SVT decided in their infinite wisdom to make they live shows available UNRESTRICTED on the internet.

So i pretty much have to cancel my internet and get rid of my cell phone to not pay a license. -.-

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom