TV Advice

D

dysfunction

Originally posted by nath
Perhaps Stu has more stuff to back his claim up, who knows. I just thought "prove it" was a little annoying so turned the tables and asked you to disprove it, which you obviously cannot do.

I dont disgree with you that Sony is a good make. All I'm saying its just as good as all the other well Known Brands

Well I found his statement annoying as its is just that a statement, which may not be factual in any way at all

....it is probably just his opinion stated in such a way that sounds as though its a fact.

Of course I cant disprove it....I dont have any product testing reports at hand. He can probably prove that statement as much as I can disprove it.

W

whipped

Just checked, whipped.

Sony KV-28LS60U

Win.

Can't find anywhere that sells that one. Does look perfect for what I need though and much cheaper than the £899 one Ii saw yesterday. I'll have enough left over for a new set of speakers.

N

nath

I'm not sure what the 'U' at the end signifies, but I suggest you trundle down to your nearest SonyStore/John Lewis with that and ask if they have it. You should be able to get it for around the 550-600 mark now.

Good luck, and I hope it brings you many a year of happy vegitating.

W

whipped

Found it without the U for £519 here. I'll pop down the the Sony center today at lunch and see if they can tell me what the extra U means. It may stand for universal (NTSC compatible), if so I'll buy it from them.

N

nath

That may well be a U too. I couldn't find the manual, but I don't recall there being a U on the front of that. It was just KV20LS60.

Looking through the specs of that link, I'm 98% certain it's exactly the same as my TV. And I seriously wouldn't worry so much about NTSC, there's no way it won't support it.

Better check though, do what I did, bring a couple of fantastic looking dvds to the sony store and ask for a demo. If you have something like Toy Story/Final Fantasy, it's worth bringing them as they were copied from computer to DVD, not from a film reel or anything. Also, get something with lots of colours and scenery, Star Wars maybe. I brought the thin red line, looked fantastic.

W

wolfeeh

don't get a 32" TV

for a maximum budget of £600 there is no decent 32 inch tv you could buy... you're talking £900 for good 32's, £1200-1700 for stunning 32's.

I'm actually looking out for a tv too at the moment, i had a thread going a few weeks back ... it got pre-empted by dell doing a stunning P4-3000 offer, that i HAD to buy, so the tv hasn't been bought yet...

have a look at a couple of good hifi/av magazines for some decent reviews... in particular "what hifi sound and vision"...

the one i had my eye on was a JVC AV28T25K, high street price is 600, net price is £422.99 inc. delivery and vat... i've had a look at it on the street and it's superb... flat face, 100hz, 3 scart, 2 of rgb iirc, supports NTSC, palplus, etc... i THINK it will even do PAL progressive scan. picture quality to my very discerning eye is right up there with the Sony's, if not exceeding them... it's a sad fact, but sony are starting to be overtaken in the tv world lately... they seem to be concentrating on making pretty chassis' and ignoring tube developments - Toshiba's Picture Frame 2 tube (note the 2, not picture frame 1) for example is easily the most superior crt i have EVER seen, knocks any sony even up to £3000, into a cocked had.

also 28" tv wise, you might want to look at the toshiba 28ZD26

a nice 100hz flat face model again, similar scart sockets and what have you. doesn't do pal-progressive though. bummer. but hey. £550 online

N

nath

Is pal progressive becoming a major feature now? Up untill recently, the *only* crt to do progressive scan was a Toshiba 32" jobby. Also, are pal dvd's starting to support it?

P

Panda On Smack

Originally posted by stu
Bang & Olufsen are fucking shit.

I got a B&O TV

They are far from shit, mines about 13 years old and still looks the part and has the best remote ever in the world.

Obviously new ones are silly money but if you can get a decent 2nd hand (like me) then you are sorted.

D

dysfunction

Re: don't get a 32" TV

Originally posted by wolfeeh
for a maximum budget of £600 there is no decent 32 inch tv you could buy...

What crap!

The 32" TV I bought got very good reviews from Which Magazine as well as a number of consumer review sites on the net.

And I am extremely happy with it and I am definitely not sorry I bought it.

I am also pleased I didnt get a 28" screen.

N

nath

You could get an *ok* 32" for 600. But it would be far from great. My dad bought a 32" panasonic for 900, and it's pretty damn good, but it's not the best. When I looked around for teles, the 600 quid 32" were all really rather crap. Sure, fine for watching terrestial, but if you want something quality, you're gunna need to go down to 28".

As for the reviews, it may well be a great tv - for what it is. A low end budget 32". I'm sure that's what all the reviews were based on. No way would it compare to something more expensive.

W

whipped

Ok, Sony rep just told me the KV-28LS60 is not NTSC playback compatible. Some web sites say it is, some say it's not. I really don't want my DVDs in B&W, can anyone find any concrete proof.

N

nath

Grrarghh. I don't know what the hell they mean.

Like I said, 50-60% of the stuff I watch on my tv is NTSC, no problems at all. I very much doubt the U bit has anything to do with it. I would suggest getting to a store (maybe even with your own dvd player) to test it out. Perhaps call first to let them know you're coming.

N

nath

Fs whipped, don't stray on me now. Stick with this sony, it's like the best buy I've made (along with my monitor audio surround set up, sub, sr5300 amp and tosh dvd 520e) :D

It really is the macdaddy!

W

whipped

It was the £468 price tag that caught my eye :)

Plus, this one I can guarrentee is NTSC compatible.

W

whipped

I've been down the shop and they told me it didn't support NTSC. Fuck it, i'll phone sony.

N

nath

Oh that wasn't sony you spoke to? Man, must be chatting shit then :/

W

whipped

Ok just phoned Sony and the women said it is NTSC playback compatible through my video? Guess this means it's ok. The U on the end means it doesn't come with a stand, S means it does.

edit : Going to bite the bullet. £520 from here. Not sure on the company though. Any dealt with them before?

N

nath

Strange, mine came with a stand.

Anyhoo, I guess she means compatible through Scart/Svid, but maybe not via rf. Who knows.

As for that website, not sure. It is worthwhile checking out a sony shop though. They may be able to get near to that price, and they give a free 5 year warranty. John Lewis are worth a look for the same reason.

D

dysfunction

You could get an *ok* 32" for 600. But it would be far from great. My dad bought a 32" panasonic for 900, and it's pretty damn good, but it's not the best. When I looked around for teles, the 600 quid 32" were all really rather crap. Sure, fine for watching terrestial, but if you want something quality, you're gunna need to go down to 28".

As for the reviews, it may well be a great tv - for what it is. A low end budget 32". I'm sure that's what all the reviews were based on. No way would it compare to something more expensive.

Yes I bought my 32" TV so I could watch digital TV and DVD's with poor picture quality...

:rolleyes:

N

nath

If you think it'll compare to a £900 32" tube for DVD playback then double :rolleyes: to you.

D

dysfunction

If you think it'll compare to a £900 32" tube for DVD playback then double :rolleyes: to you.

That would go for the same as comparing a £400 28" and a £600 28"

So a triple :rolleyes: to you!

N

nath

Evidently we were comparing a £420 tv with a £520 tv.

And I imagine they're pretty similar, but I think the sony will be slightly better. So what's your point?

D

dysfunction

Evidently we were comparing a £420 tv with a £520 tv.

And I imagine they're pretty similar, but I think the sony will be slightly better. So what's your point?

There is no point...its just a bunch of stuff that happened.

N

nath

Well alright then.

Whipped, let me know how you get on with the tele :D

W

whipped

ROFL @ Sony shop

Only the display model left. Were trying to get me to pay £669 for it and wanted and exta £30 for delivery :(

Think I may U-Turn and go with the Panasonic. I'll have enough left over then for some extra toys.

N

nath

£669? lol.

>6 months ago I payed 650, with 5 years warranty. And not an ex display.

Having said that I a) picked it up and b) haggled.

I don't think you'll have a problem with the panasonic, but all I can say is that I checked out all the tvs of the same price range as the sony, and the sony was the best over the lot. Still, you'll probably be happy with the panasonic too..

W

whipped

All done, cheers for the help guys, especially nath.

Went for the panasonic in the end. Had a bit left over so I picked up a new set of speakers, some new speaker wire and a cheap DTS/DD amp from Richer sounds.

Now I can move the old telly and entertainment unit upstairs and hook up my old speakers with the new amp.

Now I just have to wait for it all to arrive :(

Oh, boy. Steel Battallion is going to look sweet on it ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom