Tunnel Vision

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Last night I experimented with the NVA Tunnel.

On la Drang Valley I had moderate success by first placing the Tunnel a little distance from the open landing point (which starts as US), the battles were often a Gunship settling down to retake the flag followed by a few NVA tunnelers capping it once he'd pissed off.

On Operation Hastings it got placed amongst the NVA pathways in the hills roughly midway between the three central flags, from here any of them could be recaptured almost instantly, the US never discovered them.

On Khe Sahn it was first next to the northern US airbase and then when the US took the eastern base, up near there, however it was discovered and destroyed and I never found it again, no idea if it respawned.

On la Drang Valley again, but this time right next to the northern US airbase, although it was never taken it caused enough disturbance to keep the Choppers out of commission. Unfortunately it was too far north to be noticed by most NVA players ! My contribution was a nasty little sniper who caught many passengers just before dust off :)

Extol your own Tunnel Adventures here !

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
I don't really use tunnels, most of the time I just wait for someone else to put one in a decent place and then take full advantage of it once it's there. :D

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Clown said:
What tunnels? :(

If you play on thr NVA side, often at the start of the game you'll find a second spawn point close to one of the others. If you spawn there you will find yourself in front of a small square "pit" with a Shovel next to it, this is the graphical representation of an NVA Tunnel.

If you are one of the "Engineer" classes, normally the ones with the MAT-49 submachinegun, you can pick up this Shovel in the same way you would exchange class loadouts with a dead soldier (default is "G" key I think), you then get an extra slot with the Shovel in it.

You can travel somewhere, by land, sea or air, and select the Shovel, use it ("fire" button) and it recreates the extra spawn point dynamically at that spot, anywhere on the map. Your team mates can now use this as a new spawn point.

The Tunnel can be moved around throughout the game many times, but it can also be destroyed (unlikely right now as most US are M60/LAW whores and dont have enough firepower to do it), I have no idea if it respawns or if it does, where it comes back.

You can see how powerful it can become, sneaking the Tunnel to right outside the enemy airbase can facilitate a takeover by spawning lots of soldiers right nearby.

The US have a similar mobile spawn point called "the Crate", its a big box that can be airlifted. Of course its a bit more obvious than the Tunnel and you can easy see the helo carrying it around.

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
I think the tunnel spawn point spawns only when a certain flag is taken. If the Yanks have it, then it wont spawn (if previously destroyed), you get the flag back and the tunnel will respawn.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Actually I remember one of my first games on la Drang Valley the Crate had been moved right down the soutern end and solders kept spawning from it, I was constantly spawning a RPD/Grenade class and going and destroying it but it kept coming back in the same place.

I would suspect this also happens with the Tunnel, it comes back at the last place it was positioned.

Also, the Tunnel does not dissappear with its flag, I know that for certain, I don't think it is associated with any flag at all.

Another thing to note is that the US can pick up a dead NVA Engineer class and take the Tunnel for themselves, although they can't use it they can either keep it to stop it respawning or place it right far out of the map.

Paradroid

Fledgling Freddie
I noticed the NVA tunnel respawns unless the US control that area, I've no idea where the NVA tunnels are on the maps but I've played with it on Fall of Lang Vei and it does respawn at the same location everytime (in the most Southerly NVA base with the helos)...I was able to place it in the Western US base (fun)... I also managed to destroy it by hitting it with a few nades....
:p

ESD

Fledgling Freddie
xane said:
If you play on thr NVA side, often at the start of the game you'll find a second spawn point close to one of the others. If you spawn there you will find yourself in front of a small square "pit" with a Shovel next to it, this is the graphical representation of an NVA Tunnel.

If you are one of the "Engineer" classes, normally the ones with the MAT-49 submachinegun, you can pick up this Shovel in the same way you would exchange class loadouts with a dead soldier (default is "G" key I think), you then get an extra slot with the Shovel in it.

You can travel somewhere, by land, sea or air, and select the Shovel, use it ("fire" button) and it recreates the extra spawn point dynamically at that spot, anywhere on the map. Your team mates can now use this as a new spawn point.

The Tunnel can be moved around throughout the game many times, but it can also be destroyed (unlikely right now as most US are M60/LAW whores and dont have enough firepower to do it), I have no idea if it respawns or if it does, where it comes back.

You can see how powerful it can become, sneaking the Tunnel to right outside the enemy airbase can facilitate a takeover by spawning lots of soldiers right nearby.

The US have a similar mobile spawn point called "the Crate", its a big box that can be airlifted. Of course its a bit more obvious than the Tunnel and you can easy see the helo carrying it around.

Ah that Explains how U Use the damn Things HAve been wondering >:)

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
ESD said:
Ah that Explains how U Use the damn Things HAve been wondering >:)

Crap... they had to tell YOU didn't they... life's gonna be hell next session :p

DanZman

Fledgling Freddie
Certainly is gona be hell, 'Jup hunting season' has re-opened.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
DanZman said:
Certainly is gona be hell, 'Jup hunting season' has re-opened.

!!!

But Dan!!! Every day is Jup hunting day for you!!! :eek2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom