TSM Backup Problem

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Chaps.

Working with a Win2k3 infrastructure trying to backup files using TSM.

The TSM clients aren't backing up files/folders with a path depth greater than 255-odd characters (and there's a suspicion that NAV won't scan files with longer paths than that aswell).

What I'm after is:

a) A tool I can run on the DFSroot that will analayse and tell me how many files/folders have a path depth greater than or equal to 255 characters.

b) Any advice from anyone who's come across the same type of problem in a large corporate environment.

It's also affecting the replication of offline files and does seem to have it's root in Windoze itself (even in 2k3).

Anyone?!

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
what version mate? we had a prob with v4.* clients backing up dirs more than three layers deep iirc. now running 5.2 and all is cool. that's on unix mind.

oblimov

Luver of Buckfast
aye 5.2 is probs ur best bet if u can get an upgrade

we ran 4 something here before on ur unix boxes and it seemed to be a wee bit unstable with the backing up of our major systems something to do with it couldnt back up our tables or something due to some hug referential stuff?

TdC

oblimov said:
aye 5.2 is probs ur best bet if u can get an upgrade

we ran 4 something here before on ur unix boxes and it seemed to be a wee bit unstable with the backing up of our major systems something to do with it couldnt back up our tables or something due to some hug referential stuff?

you use TDP with TSM for that? we use that for our oracle dbs and it seems to work a treat.

Mellow

Loyal Freddie
You should set your replication times and backup jobs to run at different or more staggered times if they are conflicting. Also out of office hours is the obvious thing too.

What is TSM anyway?

TdC

Tivoli Storage Manager. or something. TDP is Tivoli Data Protection, think of it as a TSM for databases, where you can back up the tables while the DB is up iirc.

you don't have to stagger times client side, as the tsm server tells it's clients when and how to backup. it's a pretty cool beast tbh.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Cheers for the heads up chaps.

Unfortunatley its not just down to TSM issues that I'm investigating this. There's a few things with issues that a few of the ops teams have identified and it's fallen to me to find out what the extent of the potential problems are....

Got a tool that'll be a bit of a ballache scanning from the dfsroots but it's a start :)

Ta anyway chaps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom