Tricky situation

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
Recently finished uni and so I am trying to get a job off the back of my degree. Also only recently just managed to get any old job working for Lidl. Problem now is, how do I manage to attend interviews while Im working? I quite like this job and it definatly beats being on the dole, so simply quitting just to attend interviews doesnt sound feesible to me. I also dont think I will get days off asking a week before I need them.

3-4 relevant jobs have recently sprung up all at once with all the interviews being held in september. Typical as since january there has been 3-4 relevant jobs full stop.

On the other hand, I could probably do with the face to face public working experience and these jobs advertise for 1 position "qualified/unqualified". I may end up getting short listed with people more experienced and therfore have no chance of getting the job (has happened every other time so far). Sop while there is jobs, it may not even be worth going for them.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
decide where your priorities lay ... take a sickie or two maybe a days vacation ... doctors appointment etcetc

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Just need to A; adjust work times to fit interviews. B; adjust interview times to fit work times.

Or you can just say at work that you're going to an interview, i doubt it's grounds for firing you.

tris-

Ibn the first 3 months of my work with them I am on probation though. If i fail the appraisal after the first month Im gone. if they dont liek me after 3 months for any reason im gone. I cant just say im going for an interview and not come in when im supposed to. Not sure i can re arrange interviews either as the adverts have the dates of when they will be held!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Ibn the first 3 months of my work with them I am on probation though. If i fail the appraisal after the first month Im gone. if they dont liek me after 3 months for any reason im gone. I cant just say im going for an interview and not come in when im supposed to. Not sure i can re arrange interviews either as the adverts have the dates of when they will be held!

Hmm. Then i think you'll just have to see what job it is, count out the possibilities(which vary i know) and decide if it's worth the risk to go for it.

Or you can get a more steady position at Lidl and then start looking for another job.

Afterall, now you have a paycheck, worst case is that you're out of a job again.

tris-

Being out of a job is the ultimate worst case though. I dont think i could face being unemployed again any time soon.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Are the 3-4 jobs better?

What do you reckon is your chances of failing all interviews?

Things worth asking.

You could just stay at Lidl until you've got enough saved to take a three month job hunt spree.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ask the people that are advertising the job if you can make arrangements to attend on X day when you are not working or if they would consider giving you a telephone interview.

tris-

Are the 3-4 jobs better?

What do you reckon is your chances of failing all interviews?

Things worth asking.

You could just stay at Lidl until you've got enough saved to take a three month job hunt spree.

All the jobs are 'better'. Its like comparing working on a checkout to being a police officer (thats example, im not sure what my intended profession is called where you are).

Ask the people that are advertising the job if you can make arrangements to attend on X day when you are not working or if they would consider giving you a telephone interview.

They put the interview date on the advert, but i suppose it wouldnt hurt to ask if it came to it.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Mate get the interview dates, and ask for the days off, say they are dentist appointments, or appointments at hospital to get somethign checked out that you have been waiting for, if you volunteer to make up the time on weekends or do the extra hours no the end of other shifts.

They will appreciate the effor tyou are putting in as opposed to you just wanting time off.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy

If you know when the dates for the interviews are now surely you can tell your current employer you won't be able to make those days now. You might not get those interviews but then you will just have a day off.

If you are a good worker then Lidl shouldn't get rid of you after 3 months because you had to take a day of which you knew about in advance. They have to let all their proper employees do that anyway. If they get rid of you they were almost certainly going to get rid of you anyway because they don't want any extra permanant staff.

Look at it this way, the may still fire you after 3 months even if you have been the perfect worker (because they don't need any more staff and its free to fire you) and if you haven't been to any other job interviews you will have no chance of having another job.

tris-

They definatly need the staff as they arer opening a new store, and hired us to work this new store when it opens. They only have the right amount of people working for them to keep costs down.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
tris- first step is to talk to you line manager. Explain that while you are enjoying working for lidl, you do not want to limit your options and want to at least give these interviews a chance. Try and come to some compromise over your shifts. They should be fairly understanding. I would never, and all the fellow managers I have ever worked with felt the same, stop someone that had the opportunity to progress past a retail job.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Then you've worked with some fkin nice people Chet.

Tris have you tried shift swapping? As long as hours are covered fully & it is 'okied' with the manager, I can't see there being a problem?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I agree with Ch3t. I think the boss at Lidl probably know you don't intend to stay there for the rest of your life.

Marc

FH is my second home
You will probably find that any prospective employer will be sympathetic to your current situation and will organise an interview that fits around your time table. Unless of course you work from 8am until 9pm every day of the week, in which case you are fucked!

I have been to many an interview where they came in at weekends or stayed late, purely for my benefit.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
might be repeating what someone already said but cba reading whole thread so:

Tbh Tris you are a top notch uni graduate, lidl know you're not going to be staying there long term just have a word with your manager and co-workers and find out if its possible for you to swap shifts as and when interviews crop up. This may result in you getting some shitty shifts but at least you'll be able to go if your manager is a reasonable sort (if not then the worst they can say is no, can't fire you for not committing to stay till you die).

From past xp I find that they appreciate the honesty and will try and accommodate you if they can (obviously they aint running a charity so you wont have it all your own way but still..)

tris-

I would stay there a good while if I got upto some management capacity :)

Ive also got 5 years before degree is no longer 'good' with the trading standards institute so i guess i have a number of options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom