Tribes Vengeance

Cask

Fledgling Freddie
Nice guide chief. I suck majorly at that game :(

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Cool, I'll put that next to my UC T2 guide, that i lived of for so long, In my links :)

Requ!em

Fledgling Freddie
Cask, 007 thanks for your positive comments, much appreciated =)

So what do you think of the game? Judging by feedback on other forums there are a lot of mixed options about Tribes Vengeance:

Maradon
Well, let's see;

All of the old, smooth physics is gone. Momentum seems non-existant, no more skimming a disc across the surface of the water, grenades and other projectiles fire in an unchanging parabola. "Skiing" is less like sliding around and more like running downhill.

They completely removed motion sensors, deployable sensors, cameras, remote turret control, sensor jamming, satchel packs, wall-mountable turrets, and mines have been nerfed down to gigantic, painfully obvious lumps that wouldn't surprise a toddler. The overall effect is that base establishment and defense has been almost completely removed, along with the role of "engineer" role that was uniquely identifying of Tribes. They also removed the cloak pack and ELF gun and replaced the shocklance with a crappy knife, which elminiates the "Infiltrator" role as well. Then they removed the missile launcher which, combined with the lack of an ELF gun, elminiates the "Base defender" role too. In fact, all that's really left is the "Soldier" role, making the game just like every other mindless twitch shooter out there.

You understand now why they call it "Tribes: Vengance" and not "Tribes 3"? Because it's really in no way a tribes game when you remove nearly everything that makes Tribes unique.

They totally removed every indespensible trait of Tribes except jetpacks. What's left really is essentially a watered down reskinning of UT2K4.

Ark
T:V is a hell of a lot closer to the original Tribes then Tribes 2 was that's for sure.

T2 is certainly NOT the yardstick to be measured by, it was a clunky game with clunky gameplay, an overabundance of deployable everything, vehicles that were overpowered and broken, and weapons like the ELF and Missile Launcher that requires little or no skill to use.

Granted the SL took skill to use, but a one-shot kill uberweapon is not most people's idea of a good time, which is why the Irrational people took it out among other reasons.

This game is going back to the basics, you don't need a crapperload of deployables and uber miniturrets to do your D for you, do it your own damned self for once. Or go play Renegheydes.

This is not the original Tribes, it isn't the junkass frankenstein that Dave G. foisted on us, but it's a hell of lot more to what I consider to be a Tribes game than T2 was.

-xDauntless[REV]
1) Skiing is the same as always, it's just tougher now due to map design; there are less viable ski routes than there were before and much more obstacles on the terrain. Personally I think this adds a skill factor to the game as players will have to more carefully time their drops and jumps to maximize speed and preserve momentum.

2) I don't see how the removal and replacement of a lot of the old equipment "eliminates" certain roles. You're jumping to conclusions here, bud. There are still turrets and other deployables, and there will always be infrastructure (gens, invos, sensors, item stations, turrets, etc) that will need repairs and maintenance. While farming and base defense are different now, they are still viable and IMPORTANT roles.

3) The ELF and the shocklance needed to be removed. In high level competitive play both of these weapons made defense too easy. Players that mastered the shocklance could stop HO's too easily and the ELF made capping a nightmare for flag runners. The result was a lot of low scoring games between teams, particularly in Tribes 2 base. As for the cloaking pack, who really cares? Hardly anyone used it in serious play because it was easy to detect and kill cloaked players. It was completely unnecessary. Yeah, newbies will have one less toy to fiddle with, but whatever. Not many people are going to cry over it.

4) So all that's left is the "soldier" class? Grow a brain dude. There are still LD's, versatiles (mids or whatever you want to call them), vehicle jockeys (fighterpods will likely be the next shrike once all the balancing is done), HD's, HoF's, cappers, HO's, farmers, etc, etc, etc. I dunno about you, but I think that T:V has pretty much every MAJOR class that T1/T2 had. Hmmmm....

To sum this all up, you obviously don't know crap about how Tribes is really played, hence your inability to distinguish between the superficial and the core aspects of a Tribes game. Yes, the weapons and equipment have changed, but T:V is Tribes. You need to spend more time playing before you post such stupidity again. Learn the game, dude.

Bob007

Prince Among Men
First impressions, I was a bit mixed as well, It felt ok, But nothing great, Some of the Vehics am not sure about, But being beta, Plenty of time to fix them. Can't fly upside down as well :p After a few days Am getting use to it again.

After being out of tribes 2 for about 3 years, Its kinda hard to pick up on the little things again, Sking is totaly unforgiving, Loadouts need tweaking, and i need to learn what everything does.

But i would say if it carries on devoloping as t2 did, I can see this being 1 of the best team based FPS out there. Has everything and a whole lot more.

Back to finding routes now, Keep hitting a match in the grass and losing 20% health :p

Few of the Maps have bases that are a bit open for my liking, Will pull peeps towards camping rear of base to collect points (thinking of pubbies) bit much like v-pad sniping was in T2, If there open, they should have a FF protection much like err.... Quagmire ? (can't remember map) in T2 did.

Much looking forward to release and some clan Action, Need to find 1 first tho, My last 1 isn't moving to T:V :(

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Tribes Vengance rawks.

I played it pretty much most of saturday and sunday. I never played tribes 2. In fact I only played Tribes 1 on and off for a few months and that was YEARS ago.

TV is just fun. It's a very good team game. Nearly anything you do that might be seen as selfish in another game, seems to benefit the team in some other way.

Like setting down a repair pack and a bunch of turrets near the flag. Yes this gets you quite a few incidental kills but it also means there's a repair pack nearby for the defenders of the flag.

Jumping in the nearest buggy and zooming off trying to run people over has benefits too such as providing a spawn point for your team members. Using your repair pack to regain health also fixes your nearby team mates.

The flying around and skiing makes for some fun moments too and it's very satisfying when you get someone with a midair shot and watch them fly.

Getting blown up as you're exiting your damaged vehicle is fun too. "I CAN SEE MY HOUSE FROM HERE!!!"

It's just a damn fun game. I'll definitely be buying it when it's released. Fun fun fun.

Requ!em

Fledgling Freddie
I sometimes miss the 'complexity' that was Tribes2, however I've not had any of the long standoffs and slow gameplay that sometimes plagued Tribes2.

Tribes Vengeance is a superbly balanced and fast paced game =)

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Aye, I kind of agree(agree as in its early and not had the pleasure of playing/seeing any clan games) the roles seem a little less defined. The tools of defence have been stripped down to very basics, Good thing? I dunno, time will tell. Tho i do miss the size of Tribes 2 maps, I don't miss the long stand offs 1 bit.

Grapple still buggin me tho, Never used 1 before (none quaker) so its a strange and unforgiving tool for me still :p But i believe with time its gonna be the must have item along with the spinfuse for any light be it D or attack.

Vehic's am avioding as much as pos atm, Never liked em much in T2, Just shriek for base to base for flag grabs, So havn't tested em much as such. What bit i have seen/tried, they don't have a feel of speed T2 one's had for me. Can't see them being the must have machine for a capper to jump from that the shriek was. Saying that, Its not T2 its T:V :)

Tonight Team Sportcast Network shoutcasting IDK? v dof, Should be fun to listen into and hope for some movies after :)

http://www.tsncentral.com/

Aada

Part of the furniture
This game is really cool you have to have alot of practice to master this baby. some of the kills you get are really good especially when u swoop down and disk someone in the head.. real fun 9/10 for me

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Haven't been able to play TV yet, but I loved T2 it paved the way for mass battlefield type games but T2 will always be the best. Used to love being a huge armoured up guy and dropping out the sky from the flying apc and smashing everyone to bits with the big guns, with my two mates.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Played the demo a fair bit. Comparing to T2 and Tribes

Pros:
  • Very Fast Paced
  • Easy to pickup
  • Easy on the eye
  • Nice sound
  • No overly-long standoffs and not much turtling
  • Individual skill still counts more than in most games and doesn't adversely affect teamplay if you glory it now and again :)

Cons:
  • Physics seems simplistic - weapons follow simple parabolic arcs etc..
  • Vehicles seem to suck the big one for me
  • No real learning curve
  • Maps too small
  • I like the odd standoff now and again :)

I dunno. Are there many people playing it? If there's loads online I may just purchase (it's a bargain 17.99 on Play.com!)

Yaka

Part of the furniture
how close to the first tribes game is this?

i totaly missed afew things from the first game in tribes 2, like proper disc jumping , mine discing and proper skiing.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yaka said:
how close to the first tribes game is this?

i totaly missed afew things from the first game in tribes 2, like proper disc jumping , mine discing and proper skiing.

Disc jumping is in (although a large health hit), skiing is too damn easy (I liked the T1 and T2 skiing as it required a little skill).

Not really tried mine disking - it was the single thing I hated about tribes and it stopped me playing...

Siven

Fledgling Freddie
Mine disking is out.

Speaking as a T1 "Vet" i honestly dotn miss it. It was needed in T1 yes, but it was over powered. In T:V your grenades are powerful, so you can Gren-disc instead.

I honestly havent missed mine-disking at all.

Oh, and T:V is a lot more similar to T1 than T2. thank god :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Can't believe it. Bought the game, played the first level.

CRASH TO DESKTOP - GENERAL PROTECTION FAULT!!!

Fuck. I haven't had this since Tribes 2. And it's even different developers! :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom