Tree-pocalypse!!!

rynnor

Rockhound
Odd one this - local woodland has had massive incidence of trees at all stages of maturity toppling over - it started just as the weather warmed up in March'ish but is on-going with new ones toppling every week.

The trees arent dead - today I examined an oak that was in full leaf despite being flat on the ground but chunks of the roots seem to have been dead for a long time?

Its affecting a wide range of species including fir trees - I presume its some type of root attacking fungus but its doing a lot of damage there.

Then I went to the woods in North London and they were in an even worse state - there were stretches with practically no trees standing straight - they were all leaning at some angle or had already toppled.

I'm suprised it hasnt become the latest media scare tbh :)

Sad though but presumably they will develop resistance eventually?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Until a falling tree attacks a child in a house there will be no tree coverage in the meeja.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I would have thought so but with things like oaks that take so long to grow, sometimes they don't have time to develop an resistance. Look at the Elms.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You secret tree-pusher rynnor. Stop trying to cover your tracks with an ill-advised post on a message board.

You're just anti arborial-culture you are. :p

;)

taB

Part of the furniture
I've got a chainsaw if you want to finish them off.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I blame teedles. They're probably all dutch elms.. :eek:

Nate

FH is my second home
Oh my god no!!!!!!! THE TREES ARE DYING!!!! Run to the hills!!! But there's no cover there now since there isn't any trees left!....ok Run to the Coal Mines!!!!

rynnor

Rockhound
You secret tree-pusher rynnor. Stop trying to cover your tracks with an ill-advised post on a message board.

You're just anti arborial-culture you are. :p

;)

Heh - I actually did suspect a human agency at the start but theres just too many on one hand and on the other by examining the roots you could tell that many of them had been dead for a long time before they fell.

In fact thinking about it I think its actually the new foliage thats pulling them down - the weight of new leaves plus more drag from prevailing winds must be what sends em over?

rynnor

Rockhound
Oh my god no!!!!!!! THE TREES ARE DYING!!!! Run to the hills!!! But there's no cover there now since there isn't any trees left!....ok Run to the Coal Mines!!!!

Its 2012 man!!!! THE AZTECHS WERE RIGHT!!!!!111!!

:p

Jeros

Part of the furniture
The Mail: TREE HOLOCAUST, IS YOUR FAMILY NEXT?

The Sun: MASS IMMIGRATION CAUSES LOSS OF TREES!

The Times: ECONOMY TROUBLES COST TREES DEAR

The Independent: MYSTERY ILLNESS KILLS OFF TREES

The FT: SO HOW CAN WE CAUSE A SCARE AND MAKE MONEY OF THIS ONE?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
and some sort of tax and a bunch of quangos

Oh wait, that was the previous administrations answer to everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom