transfering numbers from one network to another

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
i have decided i am gonna get a contract phone. i asked in the shop about transfering my current number, they said i need the PAC code. ok i thought fair enough. then she says if you transfer the number, to other people its still like phoning Virgin (current provider), not O2 (shop i went to). so people would not get the benefits for phoning the same network etc.i thought maybe she was liein for some reason.

so, does anyone know if this is true or complete crap?

phlash

Fledgling Freddie
It is true. The number is part of the original providers block allocation (which is how call routing is done), and they have to forward the call to your new provider, so the call charges are still the same as before.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Err ok?

I have transfered my number through 4 networks over the years and have never been told this, nor have my friends been charged incorrectly. I know this because I have transfered several times to be on the same network as others to benefit from the call charges.

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
I believe this only applies if you're going from a pay-as-you-go phone on the first network (Virgin) to a contract phone on the second (O2). I'm not entirely sure why, but it's apparently true - my sister went from an Orange contract to an O2 contract, and now I get to call her on my free minutes :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Easiest way to find out is to get it in writing. That way, if you later find out you've been overcharged, you can easily claim.

With contract phones if you change provider, you then become subject to their terms and conditions. I don't know about PAYG phones.

If its going to create problems, then just get yourself a new number. You may lose contact with a few people, but if they're not important enough for you to inform of the change, then who gives a crap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom