transfer to US please

old.windforce

Part of the furniture
With Camlann at 30-35 people prime time and 250-300 on Prydwen / Excalibur combined it might be nice to offer people a transfer to US to have some English speaking people to play with.

I know it is "impossible" but thats what was said about start stat respec as well. A big portion of English speaking Euro players is on US anyway so why not make an effort to make those (at least 1, namely myself) happy

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
With Camlann at 30-35 people prime time and 250-300 on Prydwen / Excalibur combined it might be nice to offer people a transfer to US to have some English speaking people to play with.

I know it is "impossible" but thats what was said about start stat respec as well. A big portion of English speaking Euro players is on US anyway so why not make an effort to make those (at least 1, namely myself) happy

because of $$$

GOA won't put in work to loose money.

I'd be happy if we only got the option to get a transfer within europe. Which would require someone at GOA actually doing something. So that's out of the line as well.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
If I could generally move all my characters over to the US, I think I'd play one more time tbh. But since I only want to PvP, and Camlann is effectivly dead.. It won't happen.

Wild

One of Freddy's beloved
id reopen witout a doubt if i could move ... and id pay decent cash for it too tbh ...

i wonder when someone will deceide ... ok pop is to low we are going to be closing the servers.. i guess when that happens they might offer a US transfer .. by then WAR will be out and no1 will be playing anyhoo :( :(:(:(

Malogrin

Loyal Freddie
it might be nice to offer people a transfer to US to have some English speaking people to play with.

Why u dont just reroll usa servers ? Afraid to lose your fotm char?

Believe me , plenty of noobs there , to get u RR7 really fast...

LoL for hoping something that will never come true :touch:

Leahc

Fledgling Freddie
because of $$$

GOA won't put in work to loose money.

I'd be happy if we only got the option to get a transfer within europe. Which would require someone at GOA actually doing something. So that's out of the line as well.

Well Mythic could pay $$$ for the account transfers, because it is paying customers they get. Both GOA and Mythic would be stupid not to do it while someone still pay for playing on Duvet.

Imo:
Transfer within Europe = No
Cluster RvR zones only = Yes
Account transfer to US = Yes

/hug
Leahc

Overdriven

Some of us have been playing for a lot longer than you, and have some characters we don't want to get rid of, thanks. It's not to do with FoTM, it's to do with the memories behind characters.

I'd love nothing more than to play my shaman in a RvR group with my old EU guild on a 5000 pop server. Would bring back some memories.

Maybe for you it's FoTMness, but not for us older players.

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
Just remember the current DAoC situation if you ever consider picking up WAR.

Make sure to get the american version of WAR. In fact, make sure never to get a box with the letters GoA on it.

Castus

Can't get enough of FH
didn`t they once have a login survey asking if you`d pay for achar trans service? I def would pay to move mine!

Scrinthe

Loyal Freddie
Can someone explain why it is not just a matter of

1/ Open new US account
2/ Download US version of game and all patches
3/ Move account folder from GOA server to Mythic
4/ Move Player Folder to US server of choice
5/ Pay Mythic
6/ Play the damned game on populated server

Leahc

Fledgling Freddie

1/ Open new US account
2/ Download US version of game and all patches
5/ Pay Mythic
6/ Play the damned game on populated server

I dont think there is a thing called a "player folder", each char might need some kind of SQL-like script to get the data extracted from GOA's database :)

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
well, then it's :

1) send database to Mythic
2) Mythics puts up a new server with database
3) cluster with populated US servers!

Overdriven

15,000 Archived characters, have a folder which would contain each player information would cause major problems, so they use a bespoke piece of software for their database (or a totally optimised MySQL) - Folder with each information would cause a serious deadlock for servers that had 3000 players on it at a time.

I dont think there is a thing called a "player folder", each char might need some kind of SQL-like script to get the data extracted from GOA's database :)

The process wouldn't be that hard honestly. There are a few things they'd need to deal with when transferring over though, which I can see being fairly complicated.

- Unique keys for each player, player equipment, player housing, player guilds would need to be changed (for EU chars)
- Player names, guild names, house locations, account names. (Obvious reasons why)
- Also, I don't think they use SQL. I think they're using something bespoke, but I'm not sure.

Process can be done, they've got DBAs who can do it. It's just talking to the US side about it.

well, then it's :

1) send database to Mythic
2) Mythics puts up a new server with database
3) cluster with populated US servers!

Not everyone wants to RvR. :)

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
It's not interesting for us what kind of software they run or the technical details of moving the Dyvet character base to US.

The fact is, it can be done if they want to. There are all kinds of reasons why GoA wouldn't want to though, and all these reasons are echonomical in nature.

Yelling at GoA, telling them it's a grand idea will help nothing. Yelling at Mythic, might help though. Afterall, they have the final word on it.

Thadius

Part of the furniture

Whoodoo has been on US servers for a while now :p

Overdriven

It's not interesting for us what kind of software they run or the technical details of moving the Dyvet character base to US.

The fact is, it can be done if they want to. There are all kinds of reasons why GoA wouldn't want to though, and all these reasons are echonomical in nature.

I wasn't responding to you, asshat.

Malogrin

Loyal Freddie
Some of us have been playing for a lot longer than you, and have some characters we don't want to get rid of, thanks. It's not to do with FoTM, it's to do with the memories behind characters.

Do u think i dont love my characters in got in eu servers? And btw does love is counted for u with years of playing?

Maybe for you it's FoTMness, but not for us older players.

Then the only way i see for u mr oldskool , is to stay on a server with 350 ppl prime time.

But no. You are afraid of rerolling , dont wanna start with some golds , and lvl 1 again without friends to pl you.
You will stop being number 1 in rps shaman (is love counted with rp numbers?) , and that makes u scared.

Overdriven

But no. You are afraid of rerolling , dont wanna start with some golds , and lvl 1 again without friends to pl you.
You will stop being number 1 in rps shaman (is love counted with rp numbers?) , and that makes u scared.

Are you that thick? The reason us "Oldskool" players don't really want to re-roll is for the same reasons you're saying reroll. We've done the leveling, we've had the great memories. It's not all about RPs you prat.

kivik

Part of the furniture
To avoid criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)

:mad:

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
15,000 Archived characters, have a folder which would contain each player information would cause major problems, so they use a bespoke piece of software for their database (or a totally optimised MySQL) - Folder with each information would cause a serious deadlock for servers that had 3000 players on it at a time.

The process wouldn't be that hard honestly. There are a few things they'd need to deal with when transferring over though, which I can see being fairly complicated.

- Unique keys for each player, player equipment, player housing, player guilds would need to be changed (for EU chars)
- Player names, guild names, house locations, account names. (Obvious reasons why)
- Also, I don't think they use SQL. I think they're using something bespoke, but I'm not sure.

Process can be done, they've got DBAs who can do it. It's just talking to the US side about it.

I would be fairly surprised if it wouldn't be some SQL server, remember both MS SQL Server, DB2, Oracle uses SQL, MySQL and posgresql are free, simple and weak alternatives. I am quite sure that most of the other mentioned products can handle the database they need well, and since the database might be smaller than ones used in banks, I think they might use some cheaper alternatives (Oracle is very expensive, MS SQL is very affordable).

The unique index stuff, etc is easy to handle, and the transfer wouldn't be that hard if we look at only this thing.

And for GOA the transfer option might be a good source of income, since renewing these accounts, and paying for transfer is a good money, and some guilds, etc. would stay. So for english language servers, the transfer might mean extra income. BUT(!) GOA specific content, changes to existing content is a problem. Since it means people earned their powers on different terms, allowing a trasfer to US servers might be unfair. If they consider elements in community as source for decline of these servers, and transfer would make even more fragmented community with even bigger problems, it wouldn't worth the effort.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Are you that thick? The reason us "Oldskool" players don't really want to re-roll is for the same reasons you're saying reroll. We've done the leveling, we've had the great memories. It's not all about RPs you prat.

Agreed

Anyway, the US servers are no great differance from the Eu ones. The only thing is, more people play. Its still the old, stale game it was 5 years ago.

I should know, got 6 level 50s on Hib Classic, another 3 on Mid classic.

Overdriven

Agreed

Anyway, the US servers are no great differance from the Eu ones. The only thing is, more people play. Its still the old, stale game it was 5 years ago.

I should know, got 6 level 50s on Hib Classic, another 3 on Mid classic.

6-10 50s on Prydwen (5 of them leveled 1-50, oldschool. 2 with bots, some PLd)
2-3 50s on Camlann, 1 PLd, 1 to 50 and one done by a friend.
Couple of 1-30s on Classic

I LOVED playing my shaman in PvE, only reason I rolled one because I saw a shaman do a single dot on a Knight in DF and I fell in love with the animation. Still makes me want to play them now.

Best memory I ever had in DAoC was when I stayed up for like 3 days solid in Malmo with Funkybunny trying to get my BD to 50 ^_^ Loved it. So worth the time up. ^_^

I would be fairly surprised if it wouldn't be some SQL server, remember both MS SQL Server, DB2, Oracle uses SQL, MySQL and posgresql are free, simple and weak alternatives. I am quite sure that most of the other mentioned products can handle the database they need well, and since the database might be smaller than ones used in banks, I think they might use some cheaper alternatives (Oracle is very expensive, MS SQL is very affordable).

The unique index stuff, etc is easy to handle, and the transfer wouldn't be that hard if we look at only this thing.

I'm not totally sure about what they'd do, I mean; MS/MySQL/DB2/Oracle are great (If fully optimised) but I'm thinking about access time for some of the bigger tables (mobs) wouldn't function properly under the standard database types. - Indexing I've got nothing to say, as you're right (Considering both EU and US at one point use the exact same table structure)

They should just do it.

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
I'm not totally sure about what they'd do, I mean; MS/MySQL/DB2/Oracle are great (If fully optimised) but I'm thinking about access time for some of the bigger tables (mobs) wouldn't function properly under the standard database types. - Indexing I've got nothing to say, as you're right (Considering both EU and US at one point use the exact same table structure)

Hey, perhaps you weren't adressing me, but Im adressing you.

But please do keep on entertaining us with your outstanding knowledge of computers and the underlying technologies. I find it ever so humorous when people like you try to guess at how Mythic have designed the backend of the game.

Perhaps you could elaborate a bit? Give us some links to where you found the info on these "bigger tables" you fear would be hard to index? Oh, and I am very impressed with your vast knowledge of databases and their independent best performance situations. You are saying it wouldn't function properly to index bigger tables in these standard, industry leading database types. Could you give us alternatives to these relational databases? Perhaps share your indepth knowledge of the Camelot databases to give a better design, which would function in a proper way when trying to index it?

I await with excitement to see you spread some light on these critical questions. Questions which answers would be the difference between finding a solution for the subject of this thread. Answers which will make the developers at Mythic slap their forehead and ask themself why on earth they didn't ask this oracle (pun intended) called Overdriven whom obviously knows everything about all kinds of stuff.

Alternatively, if you feel a bit lazy and "can't be arsed" to answer, you might just stick on subject instead of trying to look clever by slinging a few technical terms here and there in an unimpressive attempt to look smart.

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
dont worry :D just talkt with roaken! they are looking into a solution for the problem! but he cant comment on it :p

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
Do u think i dont love my characters in got in eu servers? And btw does love is counted for u with years of playing?

Then the only way i see for u mr oldskool , is to stay on a server with 350 ppl prime time.

bullshit tbh, i dont have time to reroll again an get 50, full template , lvling bb anymore :( so im kinda stuck here on dyvet or avalon where i got chars with templates an ml's

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
bullshit tbh, i dont have time to reroll again an get 50, full template , lvling bb anymore :( so im kinda stuck here on dyvet or avalon where i got chars with templates an ml's

Excactly!

Not to mention... it's boring to redo these things. It's not like it's fun leveling and templating, and why do it again when you already done the treadmill? :)

Overdriven

H
But please do keep on entertaining us with your outstanding knowledge of computers and the underlying technologies. I find it ever so humorous when people like you try to guess at how Mythic have designed the backend of the game.

Perhaps you could elaborate a bit? Give us some links to where you found the info on these "bigger tables" you fear would be hard to index? Oh, and I am very impressed with your vast knowledge of databases and their independent best performance situations. You are saying it wouldn't function properly to index bigger tables in these standard, industry leading database types. Could you give us alternatives to these relational databases? Perhaps share your indepth knowledge of the Camelot databases to give a better design, which would function in a proper way when trying to index it?

I await with excitement to see you spread some light on these critical questions. Questions which answers would be the difference between finding a solution for the subject of this thread. Answers which will make the developers at Mythic slap their forehead and ask themself why on earth they didn't ask this oracle (pun intended) called Overdriven whom obviously knows everything about all kinds of stuff.

Alternatively, if you feel a bit lazy and "can't be arsed" to answer, you might just stick on subject instead of trying to look clever by slinging a few technical terms here and there in an unimpressive attempt to look smart.

Check PMs :) Stuff I can't say on here.

EDIT: Keep it in PMs by the way. Think I've explained myself enough through it.

old.windforce

Part of the furniture

got templated chars on Ector and Mordred. And US players are nice people but not so good players.

And yes i would like to have my Camlann cleric on a US TOA cluster :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom