Tower or Heater shield?

S

Sinsor

whats the difference between a rower and heater shield guys? and whats best?

S

SilverHood

looks different..... speed, endurance cost and damage of using shield moves I tihnk

N

Nala Lionne

I THINK this is right ....

With a small shield you can block one opponent at a time.
With a medium you can block two.
With a large you can block three.

Me finks :)

Then again it could be complete rubbish, but I certainly remember being told that.

V

Valdamar

What's the diff between Heater & Kite shields?

I remember reading somewhere that Tower (large) shields block 3 opponents. So I guess Round (small) shields blocking 1, and Kite/Heater (medium) shields blocking 2 opponents makes sense.

So what's the difference between Kite and Heater shields - is it just the shape? Why choose one over the other?

Seems a bit odd that shields have no additional info ingame - surely they should get a spd/dps for shield styles /shrug

N

Nala Lionne

Ahar ... I thought heater shields were small ... oops :D

D

Danya

Heater shields are large (not medium) and the only difference between them and tower sheilds is the dps/spd for styles.

B

Bedroc the Hero

These are the different kind of shields:

Round Shield Small Defends 1 attacker 2.8 Atk Speed Damage Rank 4th (last)

Kite Shield Med Defends 2 attackers 4.3 Atk Speed Damage Rank 2nd

Tower Shield Large Defends 3 attackers 4.5 Atk Speed Damage Rank 1st (best)

Heater Shield Large Defends 3 attackers 3.8 Atk Speed Damage Rank 3rd

What you really need is two shields. You shall invest in the best heater shield you can find. You’ll be using this one most of the time. When fighting in groups it will defend you, and the person you are guarding, from three attackers at once, and it has a nice attack speed ( more is slower ). Attack speed is important when you use your shield especially for the stun attacks when you want to incapacitate the enemy. A tower shield is to slow for this purpose so its not worth to take it even if it does more damage (remember, your main task is not to deal damage but to play defence). This is also the shield to use when you go RvR as there you have to defend as many attackers as possible.

A very good round shield is important when you are fighting only one mob and you don’t have to defend people. I.e when you are going solo or when at higher lvls your group has crowd control so you only have to fight one mob at the time. The higher speed lets you use your shield more effectively in this case.

Take a look at my hero guide for a longer discussion about this.

S

Sarnat

Heather and kite shields are medium in Midgard. Heather is large in hibernia and albion.

V

Valdamar

Thane - kite or heater?

Thanks Sarnat - I thought I was going mad ;) because I know my thane has equipped a heater shield before. Thanes are only restricted from using large shields (warrior-only, in Midgard), but can use all medium/small shields.

Anyway, rephrasing my question for Midgard players: whats the pros and cons between using a Kite or Heater shield for a Thane? What are the circumstances where one shield would be better than the other?

M

Murcalumis

Although a large shield may be better in PvE, in RvR you'll block as often as.. something that dosen't block alot at all. And face it, if you've got more than one person on you, you're screwed anyway unless you've got lots of friends with you, in which case you'll zerg them and a block once every few hundred styles won't make a difference at all.

But anyway, to my point, because I do have one. If you use a small shield for RvR (considering you are shield specced and have slam) the endurance cost for slam is reduced rather significantly, I'm told as it swings much quicker, yet the stun duration is the same. So it might pay to use that if you don't like how much endurance slame takes up. Something to think about, anyway.

Oh, and I haven't tested this myself, but I'm pretty sure it's the case.

O

old.Hendrick

Never understimate a shield in RvR. I recently fought a level 50 warrior and after I had run out of endurance, he whipped out his shield and blocked/parried like crazy.

S

speshneeds

nope shields with high skill are awesome, even on a dex gimped troll... made a balls up in gorge last night and managed to pull 2 patrols together (oops). Me and a 50 troll warrior sorted them out 'just'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom