Rant Touch controls and wijjywoos.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Why the living f*ck are these gaining so much ground?

I mean wigglywaggly wij controls and touch controls on apps, especially gaming apps.

We've spent ages on perfecting the mouse+KB combo, the controllers on consoles and they're more perfect outside getting mindcontrol into the mix. On the phones even, the numpad and rocker have worked on everything from platforming to quiz games, now it's touch this and suck that to press 5. This allowed the game-devs to concentrate more on depth, story, graphics, gameplay and other needed elements. No more worrying about controls, they were pretty much universal. A to jump, B to kick ass.

Now we've got a new generation of touchyfeely apps and wigglywaggly crap that kills all the development and basically starts over. It will take a good 10 years to perfect these new tools and they gain ground every day.

Now developers are looking into new and innovative ways to use "Touch This" controls and new "amazing" waggly ways to improve your gaming, while leaving ACTUAL innovation and gaming advancements in the past.

It's like they odn't need to put in effort to create an innovative or exciting title, with next gen graphics and depth, because they can put a ball on the screen and ask the player to hump it. And the player, with glee in his eyes, does just that, not noticing that all this kiddie casual bullcrap is zombifying the gaming nation.

Is it just a false fear, or should i actually be worried that the future of gaming is waving your arms like an idiot, or dryhumping your screen to get a reaction from your avatar?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I am not worried, its a load of bollocks anyway and doesn't work at all for the majority of games, we will always have some sort of mouse/keyboard or game pad option for the games we play. Who cares if Mario shelf stacker party etc requires a stupid control mechanism.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
That's exactly the worry Raven, we NOW have options, but as the touchwigglywee controls gain ground, sell more(due to 6 year olds and other non-gamer people buying them for FUN!) and show up in the charts as "top selling products", the producers and money men will make just those, top sellers.

It could be related to the death of point&click adventure games.

We all loved them, they were fun, they had story, they had entertainment and we thought they would stay around. Then came doom and gave point&click a lead-enema.

Not saying doom was bad, or that games took a wrong turn there, but if the humpwag games gain similar ground, they might kill a good chunk of the other gaming industry.

Who knows, it might cause independent and more thought out PC/console titles to pop out to combat the crap the wagglypoos send into the market, but the other scenario is worrying as a dimple on your manparts.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I am sure it is :p

Don't be so sure, that was about the market being killed by wii creating sales towards casual bull and more about the producers looking at figures instead of quality, this is more about the developers themselves going into the dark side and leaving innovation of games at the door to invent a wagglywoo mrk two.

It's like talking about Lidl and another generic brand store really :p

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
tbh I actually thought it was a bump :p then I saw only one reply ;)

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
No I actually read the post, I must of just got the same vibe.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
No I actually read the post, I must of just got the same vibe.

Well it is a rant of the same genre, so i'm not blaming you or anything and there are enough similarities, perhaps it's my fault, could've pointed out more clearly that it's the same issue, different side.

Oh well, all is cool :p

Bahumat

FH is my second home
My friends managed to play a game of Pro Evo Soccer using the Guitar and Drums from those rock games.

Zero Punctuation makes alot of good points on how good the Wii remote could be...but ultimately the games companies fail.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Why the living f*ck are these gaining so much ground?

I mean wigglywaggly wij controls and touch controls on apps, especially gaming apps.

We've spent ages on perfecting the mouse+KB combo, the controllers on consoles and they're more perfect outside getting mindcontrol into the mix. On the phones even, the numpad and rocker have worked on everything from platforming to quiz games, now it's touch this and suck that to press 5. This allowed the game-devs to concentrate more on depth, story, graphics, gameplay and other needed elements. No more worrying about controls, they were pretty much universal. A to jump, B to kick ass.

Now we've got a new generation of touchyfeely apps and wigglywaggly crap that kills all the development and basically starts over. It will take a good 10 years to perfect these new tools and they gain ground every day.

Now developers are looking into new and innovative ways to use "Touch This" controls and new "amazing" waggly ways to improve your gaming, while leaving ACTUAL innovation and gaming advancements in the past.

It's like they odn't need to put in effort to create an innovative or exciting title, with next gen graphics and depth, because they can put a ball on the screen and ask the player to hump it. And the player, with glee in his eyes, does just that, not noticing that all this kiddie casual bullcrap is zombifying the gaming nation.

Is it just a false fear, or should i actually be worried that the future of gaming is waving your arms like an idiot, or dryhumping your screen to get a reaction from your avatar?

If we focus only on pc gaming, i believe there is no need to worry at all because there are still some developer / companies that do not want to f*ck their gamer base over w/o a condom. If we talk touchscreens for PC, only way you are going to need one of those is if you are blind :(

Consoles on the other hand, f*ck knows what will happen. May be you are right Toht, that developers have lost the way and can't see the forest for the trees.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Then again to be fair to the wijjywooshies and touchmebaby controls; the developers seem to have lost their way in other aspects too :p

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Yeah, they just need to apply the touchy/swinging controller around elements right so it becomes useful, rather than applying it to each and every game just because they feel they can as a gimmick. There are actually some Wii games that pulls it off great.

Dahakon

Fledgling Freddie
Zero Punctuation makes alot of good points on how good the Wii remote could be...but ultimately the games companies fail.

He also says that without feedback, the whole wii-waggle thing just completely destroys any immersion you might have in the game, which I agree with him about.

Personally I don't get what's wrong with just pressing buttons, I actually enjoy it (but then I might be a bit weird), and after a long day, when you want to unwind with a game, the last thing you want to do is jump around your room waving your arms like someone trying to fly.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Zelda: Twilight princess, Cursed Mountain, Umbrella Chronicles (after setting up the sensitivity)

Haven't played the others, but Umbrella Chronicles? "Light gun" game without 1:1 aiming? Ridiculous. You just posted a great example of how not to do it.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Toh dude, allow me to say that you sound like

cantankerous_old_fart.jpg

an old cranky fart, mumbling and grumbling about how life was much better in the good 'ole days :p

fl3a

Can't get enough of FH
i dont think that the future in gaming is going to be ultra sensitive 'wave your arms like a moron' gaming, the future is in 'context sensitive' controls. already we are in the time of auto-reloading guns in rail shooters (actually you choose where you move, except you only have one path of where to go) with one 'interact' button that calls forth predetermined events. and why do we have that? because console controllers have limited controls. and why do we care about them? because, who in their right mind develops a game for the pc these days? consoles are a much more lucrative market, and if you get the time you port it over. and console gamers are a different breed of people in comparison to pc gamers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom