Top of the food chain

Mey

Part of the furniture
Technically speaking it is impossible to know the max speed of any animal, it's not like it realises it is being measured. How do you know when it runs at "max speed" that it can't go alittle bit faster :p

megadave

I am a FH squatter
when it chases it's prey it'll be running max speed for maximum catching potential!

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
Technically speaking it is impossible to know the max speed of any animal, it's not like it realises it is being measured. How do you know when it runs at "max speed" that it can't go alittle bit faster :p
same goes for men i guess. its impossible to be certain that humans arent straining themselves to their fullest!

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
when it chases it's prey it'll be running max speed for maximum catching potential!

Some may run faster, some slower. Also they might be holding back at times as well. (You can call me Mr Logic)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Usain Bolt (sp.) has a lot more to come out of him (so Laddey tells me)

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
That sentence sounded 100% genuine Lamp; until you said Laddey. Now my mind is full of sexual meanderings between two guys.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
impossible to tell, still many mayn species the world hasn't seen from the deepest parts of the ocean we don't have access to yet :) scientists reckon there be squids down there like you see in the movies (thats right the ones the size of cruise liners) no proof yet ofcourse.

If however based on that there is things down there "that" size its hard to say, i'd say a giant squid if so tho.

Marc

FH is my second home
How is it impossible to tell the top speed of a cheetah?? Do you not think that people do experiments in the wild and shit. People have studied animals for hundreds of years. With the advancements in tecnology they would use stuff to measure how fast they are in the wild and 70mph is probably the fastest they have measured one.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Absolutely. Its perfectly possible to measure the animal's top speed. Why? Because its been done. Many times. They've known that a Cheetah can sprint at 70mph for over 30 years. Its not exactly rocket science. Speed = Distance / Time.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Absolutely. Its perfectly possible to measure the animal's top speed. Why? Because its been done. Many times. They've known that a Cheetah can sprint at 70mph for over 30 years. Its not exactly rocket science. Speed = Distance / Time.

But have they put a cheetah on a running machine in a cage, lit a fire in one end and watch how fast it'll run before it burns?

Survival goes over hunger and when in survival mode, animals like humans have "extra power".

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
The Cheetah will need its max power speed for catching its food - you know those super fast antelopes that can themselves sprint very fast. They (the antelopes) are running for their survival, but the Cheetah is faster. I'm sure the Cheetah isn't the top of the food chain, but there aren't that many creatures that can out run it.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The Cheetah will need its max power speed for catching its food - you know those super fast antelopes that can themselves sprint very fast. They (the antelopes) are running for their survival, but the Cheetah is faster. I'm sure the Cheetah isn't the top of the food chain, but there aren't that many creatures that can out run it.

Yes the cheetah can run faster ad the antelopes max speed is measured, but the max potential of the cheetah would only be measured if the cheetah "ran for it's life". You know?

Calo

Part of the furniture
The cheeta can only hold that topspeed for a few seconds

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
How would you test that, Toto ? You could watch a bunch (pride?) of cheetahs for a year and you might only see them sprint fast when catching food. You may never ever see them put in a situation where they're are running for their lives. You have to put a limitation and at some point draw the line after x number of sprints, and say, ok I reckon I've got enough evidence (averaged out) to say that this animal can run at this speed.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
How would you test that, Toto ? You could watch a bunch (pride?) of cheetahs for a year and you might only see them sprint fast when catching food. You may never ever see them put in a situation where they're are running for their lives. You have to put a limitation and at some point draw the line after x number of sprints, and say, ok I reckon I've got enough evidence (averaged out) to say that this animal can run at this speed.

Like i said, running mat, fire on one end, surefire "run for life" situation.

I know it's not realistic, but to say "their max speed is this", when it's not been extremely tested, is only a assumption.

All i was saying.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I do take your point. The very fact that its unrealistic means that its not going to be possible / feasible / legal / ethical to put that animal under certain conditions so that you can test if it can run faster. Its not a machine. We're going to have to agree to disagree.

Marc

FH is my second home
Yes the cheetah can run faster ad the antelopes max speed is measured, but the max potential of the cheetah would only be measured if the cheetah "ran for it's life". You know?

As we all know you like to belittle others for not backing up their claims with evidence, prove to us that a cheetah will run faster when running for its life, rather than running for meat. To all intent and purposes its the same thing, it needs to eat in order to survive.

Enticing the animal with meat is how all the experiments are done.

Until you can back up your claims with evidence, I will take the scientists studies, that a cheatah can reach a top speed of 70mph as gospel and as Calo says, that it can only maintain that speed for a short while.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Aye, the current max speed of a cheetah is known, but the limits of a cheetah are not.

Kind of like with humans, why would we break the running records all the time otherwise.

As we all know you like to belittle others for not backing up their claims with evidence,

Actually that's Bugz, not me.

Christ almighty get your facts straight before trying to flame.

Zenith

Part of the furniture
In terms of naturalscience, you can safely say they have tested the cheetah's max speed. They have run tests, measured probably thousands of cheetah's running etc. The max speed measured is the cheetah's maxspeed until proven otherwise. They can not be 100% sure though, atleast not philosopical speaking, since its only empirical proven, and such is only a "most probable" truth ( sorry, but I dont know the english term for it ) and not a "complete truth".

If you have to go into detail that is :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
What kind of philosophic bullshit is that? :) Are you saying because of evolution we can't know the potential max speed of an animal?

Kind of like we don't know the max speed of a human.

Always can be a faster cheetah and i'm guessing the 70 speed is a "average" top speed, not the "ultimate top speed".

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Did you guys know that a duckcat can consume 20x it's own body weight in less than 4.3 seconds and that it can't actually fly, due to the lack of wings?

Bet you didn't knew that Laddey?

Helme

Resident Freddy

if I rememeber correctly cheetahs are actually constantly at the starvation point, because their great bursts of speed are a hit and miss, if they dont catch anything they are pretty much fucked because they cant replenish the energy lost, and the attempt after will be a far worse one as far as speed goes.

so you could say at they are at their max potentional.

also that extra energy you are talking about is called adrenaline :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom