Too much information

A

Alrindel

I was just looking at the web site of DAoC Italy, and their version of the Herald/Chronicles - and it's kind of scary how much information they have decided to make available on their site, right down to the individual player records.

Been ganked by Anfytex MiniNukkeR? Wonder how he's specced?
http://www.daoc.it/araldo/char.php?server_id=1&char_num=52250
49 mana, 19 light, 1 void - 112 dex, 119 int: maximum mana nuker, no wonder. Looks like he just started RvR last week after getting to level 43 or so. Not very rich, though, only 359g in his purse.

You can see not only spec and bonuses, you can see the spells and styles they have, their realm abilities... the only thing they don't show is /played time. EDIT: they do, I just don't speak Italian very well :p

I don't know about you, but I think they've gone a little too far. I wouldn't be very happy having all that on GOA's web site, and I think I remember reading that Mythic had rejected the idea of individual XML stat pages for players over privacy concerns. Hopefully those Italian players have some way to turn it off and make their characters anonymous, if they choose.

O

old.giriam

I really like it, though i agree that it should most definitely be something you have to opt in on, or atleast be able to opt out of.

G

W

Whoodoo_RD

Yeah, lil too much info there IMO. Some things should be left a mystery to the genreal populus.

I like the graphs tho, would be nice to see things like RP curve, leveling curve, time played etc.

Showing your specs should be optional tho.

V

Vorcyn

It is a bit much imo, but just so your know, he doesn't have 359 gold, thats his played time, so hes played 359 hours :eek:

A

Alrindel

Arf, that's even worse. And here I was thinking, "at least they aren't publishing /played time..."

O

old.chesnor

hehe. I didn't have much problem with /played time published. But how much gold you've got OMG NO!!!! Imagine the begging then...."gold plz"..."no, go away"...."but youv'e got 876g, I just logged and looked....gold plz"

eek.

O

old.Atrox

to much =/
whats next ? Quote of the day ? radom /tell's made by the player
complete list of his friends list and ignore list ?
I really hope GOA wont get any ideas from Italy :(

A

Alrindel

Complete contents of your inventory and vault. WHO STOLE THAT DROP? :flame:

O

old.windforce

395 h = about 15 days. not bad for level 49

O

old.Arnor

damn, that wouldve been KICKASS!

but then again im a exhibishionist of some sort :>

edit: we could even see how n000000b karam is :D

M

Melodic

I think being able to check out played time and how you're specced is a great idea. That way you can see how the best rvr players are specced without 1000 noobs sending them tells. and yes I know it's the player behind the spec points that makes the difference but how you're specced is a good basis.

I do agree showing how much gold you have is a HUGELY bad idea.

D

deadparrot

They missed off the credit card number and home address :(

X

Xavier

as far as I'm concerned it's a massive breach of privacy, how would you feel if your bank started publishing your particulars?

I know that's a harsh example but unless a player specifically goes into their account pages and ticks boxes on a character basis - show this one, that one, but not this one then they're spoiling the game...

get killed by a high level rvr? wanna know his weaknesses? who needs gameplay and tactics when you can look it up?

we pay for these accounts, thus the information they contain and the characters we create are ours to do with as we like, inside the CoC - publicising everything down to the tiniest details of our accounts without prior consent is totally unfair - and in places like the UK probably breaches the DPA.

E

Eleasias

I wouldnt be too happy about that either :/ Hope they just concentrate on patching and PvP server and dont do any crazy stuff like that .. (with played time reaching 80 days ;>)

O

old.chesnor

I doubt very much if data pertinent to a fictitious character in a computer game would come under the Data Protection Act. Only data which is pertinent to a living individual is covered by the act. The data you entered at subscription (address, DoB, sex etc..) is covered. The age, height, sex, etc.. of your dwarf computer character sadly isn't.

B

Blood

I really like it, though i agree that it should most definitely be something you have to opt in on, or atleast be able to opt out of.

I really like the graphs showing the characters leveling and RP earning.. would love to compare mine with Jupitus :)

Im all for displaying as much information on the website as possible, as long as it's opt in.

M

Murcalumis

Here you are saying how much of a breach of privacy this is, and then you pin-point one guy, and discuss everything about him, even whether you think the playtime he has is good for his level on a public forum for even more people to see! Doi! :m00:

O

old.Xarr

I think it's great. Don't mind showing other people my char info ;)

O

old.LandShark

Originally posted by old.chesnor
I doubt very much if data pertinent to a fictitious character in a computer game would come under the Data Protection Act. Only data which is pertinent to a living individual is covered by the act. The data you entered at subscription (address, DoB, sex etc..) is covered. The age, height, sex, etc.. of your dwarf computer character sadly isn't.

even if it was, their characters belong to the italian GOA-equivalent, not to the players themselves. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom