TOA is a load of ..

Javlar

Fledgling Freddie
BULLSHIT.

Yes.

That's exactly what it is.

I really liked daoc before. RVR-daoc that is. When SI arrived it was a big change cause you got SC and Alchemy which imo was a good change. No more annoying PVE unless you wanted to. And if you wanted to you could get some better equipment. But still no equipment that granted you superiority in any way.

Now with fucking TOA you HAVE TO PVE or you will suck in RVR.

There is a reason daoc has a good player-base and thats cause most people play daoc for rvr. Mythic can suck my balls. If i wanted PVE i would have bought Everquest.

:puke: Trials of Atlantis

For the first time ever i'm actually thinking about quitting daoc for real.

acei

Fledgling Freddie
Personally i like ToA ALOT the new items are great, new artifacts great, ML encounters also great... but then, i'm a PvE nut :). RvR is no good, and alot of the playerbase doesn't play for the joy of teleporting to Emain every 15mins so you can get zerged to death then repeat. ToA brings ALOT of new challenges for the PvE nuts like me including new mob AI etc. This is a great add-on imo!

Frontiers expansion looks promising for the RvR nuts :)

Fedaykin

Fledgling Freddie
i like it :)

and i never used to pve at all

starting to like it a bit now

Ghostly

Fledgling Freddie
Javlar said:
There is a reason daoc has a good player-base and thats cause most people play daoc for rvr.

Think you might be wrong there

Iceflower

Fledgling Freddie
>Now with fucking TOA you HAVE TO PVE or you will suck in RVR.

The only must that exists is the one you have let grow in your mind. The game dont force you to do anything. Go play as you like. As long as you play in groups there will always be a few with those artifacts you dont want to work for that evens out the FG vs FG battles. Though the FGvsFG concept will probably be history when the Frontiers arrives after the summer.

Teh FnoRd

Fledgling Freddie
Javlar said:
Might aswell do. Nobody likes a whiner anyways! :p

Cheese?

To bad, you wont get any! :p

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Javlar said:
BULLSHIT.

Yes.

I really liked daoc before. RVR-daoc that is. When SI arrived it was a big change cause you got SC and Alchemy which imo was a good change. No more annoying PVE unless you wanted to. And if you wanted to you could get some better equipment. But still no equipment that granted you superiority in any way.

There is a reason daoc has a good player-base and thats cause most people play daoc for rvr. Mythic can suck my balls. If i wanted PVE i would have bought Everquest.

When are people going to understand that daoc isnt just an rvr game if it was everyone would be insta 50 and be able to pick up the armour they need in floating boxes dotted around te place. pve is a large part of daoc and a lot of us actually enjoy it. At the end of the day if you dont like uit Hit Delete Y E S, uninstal then you will have nothing to moan about :)

Dorin

Fledgling Freddie
Raven said:
When are people going to understand that daoc isnt just an rvr game if it was everyone would be insta 50 and be able to pick up the armour they need in floating boxes dotted around te place. pve is a large part of daoc and a lot of us actually enjoy it. At the end of the day if you dont like uit Hit Delete Y E S, uninstal then you will have nothing to moan about :)

they wont understand couse its called addiction... one of my friend had the same with playing CS, he was always pissed - shouted rl etc when he managed to die... Told him to quit it and do something else instead of CS if he doesnt enjoy it etc, but he didnt listen till he got bored with the game for real. Ppl keep moaning whining but they hit the DAOC shortcut on desktop and log on day by day, wont change much tbh.

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
The shiney new graphics engine and the ability to dive underwater had me sold on ToA all of 10mins after i'd installed/activated it - anything after that has been a bonus.

Javlar said:

You had to PvE anyway, I think what you mean is you have to PvE if you want to be one of the best... interesting concept that, putting effort into somthing to be the best at it instead of just getting it handed to you as was the case with SC&Alch...

...but I suppose thats what differences in opinions are all about.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Archeon said:
The shiney new graphics engine and the ability to dive underwater had me sold on ToA all of 10mins after i'd installed/activated it - anything after that has been a bonus.

Same here. I spent 2 hours after the pub last night swimming round in the ocean watching the little sharkies and octopi playing. Until they noticed me. I just wented to play!

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
yaruar said:
Same here. I spent 2 hours after the pub last night swimming round in the ocean watching the little sharkies and octopi playing. Until they noticed me. I just wented to play!

octopi are too cool :)

If you can manage it - get to stygia haven and head nw into the desert - see if you can find the pyramid or the necropolis - droolworthy.

Covenant

Can't get enough of FH
Flimgoblin said:

If you can manage it - get to stygia haven and head nw into the desert - see if you can find the pyramid or the necropolis - droolworthy.

Never figured out what was needed to get into the Pyramid - presumably a set Master Level.

But yes, it's definitely droolworthy. Haven't seen the Necropolis yet though.

judas

One of Freddy's beloved
now you have to play daoc 24/7 to have a chanse getting all artifacts and mls :\
thats time i dont have :/

Light

Loyal Freddie
I've never really like pve much but i think some of the quests and encounters are cool and we are having fun in guild grps etc

only thing that is annoying is the incredibly long spawn times on some of the artifact mobs, must have tried almost 10 last night and not a single mob was there - fekin server reset twice i think must reset the mobs timers .. really fkn annoying especially after camping a mob for hours watching it gradually respawn then bang, server reset and it starts from scratch :(

other thing is been levelling an artficat and fuk meee its gonna take a shed load of normal boring mob bashing, bit lame tbh :(

and you guys who have gone rushing out to do ML's - why didn't u leave that, get and activate artifacts then do ML's - this would kill 2 birds with one stone ie level artfiacts so its usefull and do ML's at the same time :confused:

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
When you first bought DAoC, what did you imagine, permanent RvR, 24/7 PvE or a good mix of both?

For most the latter is the answer, the PvE elements like UO and EQ, the PvP of CS and UT with adventure to boot.

This game has always been about providing a balanced experience of all those genres, with community spirit added for extra bonus. Theres something for everyone out there, if you dont like PvE, then dont, if you want both, great, its all what you make it, and thats one thing only you can decide.

If you fing PvE so boring, then quit, its an essentail part to the game, else Mythic would have called this "CS in third personish wiv trolls n stuff".

For us who leveled the old fashioned way, that means us pre-PLers, PvE became part of the routine, we were chuffed to bits to "ding" and gain experience and that new spell or weapon style we so longed for. Half the time we didnt give a rats arse about how good our weapons were, we got used to dying and knew our limits, but we had fun.

My advice, cancel auto renew and find a game more suited to wtfpwnd style you seem to want.

Asty

Fledgling Freddie
Javlar said:
BULLSHIT.

Yes.

Thats like.. my thoughts exactly, only keep playing in hope of good rvr again in the future.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Flimgoblin said:

I was swimming round an ocean last night and found a giant shipwreck it rocked. I was dissapointed i couldn't swim inside it though :(

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
judas said:
now you have to play daoc 24/7 to have a chanse getting all artifacts and mls :\
thats time i dont have :/

Not really, I did steps 1-7 of ml 1 in two 3 hour sessions in the evening and during that time did a number of them 2 or 3 times to help other people out. I suspect as a casual gamer 1ml a week is relatively easy to do.
I need to put together a few groups to go artifact hunting in the next couple of months, but TBH it's going to be easier getting them than it was to get TG objects for the non focus farmers. Leveling them will take time, but such is life.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
old.Whoodoo said:
When you first bought DAoC, what did you imagine, permanent RvR, 24/7 PvE or a good mix of both?

For most the latter is the answer, the PvE elements like UO and EQ, the PvP of CS and UT with adventure to boot.

This game has always been about providing a balanced experience of all those genres, with community spirit added for extra bonus. Theres something for everyone out there, if you dont like PvE, then dont, if you want both, great, its all what you make it, and thats one thing only you can decide.

If you fing PvE so boring, then quit, its an essentail part to the game, else Mythic would have called this "CS in third personish wiv trolls n stuff".

For us who leveled the old fashioned way, that means us pre-PLers, PvE became part of the routine, we were chuffed to bits to "ding" and gain experience and that new spell or weapon style we so longed for. Half the time we didnt give a rats arse about how good our weapons were, we got used to dying and knew our limits, but we had fun.

My advice, cancel auto renew and find a game more suited to wtfpwnd style you seem to want.

Well said, I've said this before but not quite so succinctly. The thing I love about DAoC is that there is pretty much something for everyone. There is lots of PvE content now, lots of characters to play with, there is RvR at all levels from bg's to full scale war and small skirmish group v group if you want. Sure there are balance issues with classes which is unfortunately a reality in all online RPG's but in terms of content and gameplay I've yet to see anything which comes close to Dark Ages in terms of variety and content.

And when it comes down to RvR I don't think master levels and artifacs are going to make all that huge a difference to day to day RvR. The FOTM /macro assist gank groups will still own on the battlefield whether other people are ML10 with uber artifacts anyway. The new content will add some bells and whistles, but noone is going to last more than 3 seconds against assisting savages or PBAOE boxes.

Kelio

Fledgling Freddie
Tbh i think the artifacts will be as easy as getting an oilrag...
1group of mates camping the spawn and get like 100 artifacts just to sell them at insane prices to those few of us that cant play 24/7 and each time we go look for the artifact find that the mob has been killed and you have to wait another 3 hrs(which often means try again tomorrow after work).
why not do like this: get the item you want and move on to next one, so the rest of us can get it also.

Oh and about the topic, i find ToA fun as i now have more PvE to do :D
cant wait untill i get my necro to 50 so i can kill mobs fast (not the 30mins each mob as a pally :S)

Alithiel

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
I was wandering around Stygia and the Land of Atum last night doing the Parade for a Paladin (Ebon Hide Bracer) quest... I was amazed at the variety of new monsters and other special effects!

I thoroughly recommend you take a Minstrel or some other form of speed with you if you do this quest, though. While it was easy to solo as an RR10 Merc, there was quite a bit of running back and forth... and a lot of sprinting from hordes of crazed monsters. I was chased by crazed lions, giant scorpions and snakes, narrowly avoided a whole tribe of wandering Mau nomads, and was occasionally suprised by a sandstorm that appeared out of nowhere! It was a lot of fun... ;)

Moo

Fledgling Freddie
i like toa pve because it's not anything like pve in the xp grind

in xp grind it's horrible because you kill the same mobs over and over and over and over and over .....

with toa you do encounters - it's much more fun than just killing for the exp grind.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Alithiel said:
I was wandering around Stygia and the Land of Atum last night doing the Parade for a Paladin (Ebon Hide Bracer) quest... I was amazed at the variety of new monsters and other special effects!

I thoroughly recommend you take a Minstrel or some other form of speed with you if you do this quest, though. While it was easy to solo as an RR10 Merc, there was quite a bit of running back and forth... and a lot of sprinting from hordes of crazed monsters. I was chased by crazed lions, giant scorpions and snakes, narrowly avoided a whole tribe of wandering Mau nomads, and was occasionally suprised by a sandstorm that appeared out of nowhere! It was a lot of fun... ;)

THe one thing I've really enjoyed about TOA so far is that for the first time in a while I've felt the feelings I had when I first started playing which got me hooked. The joys of finding new and exciting places, the fun of not know what was round the corner or which mobs I can take easily and which I have to run like a bat out of hell from. Even the sheer variety of the mobs, like the undersea mobs which are essentially player class based. Been great fun taking on bonedancer mobs under the sea!

Ashgen

One of Freddy's beloved
Well ...

old.Whoodoo said:

A good balanced view and somewhat mirrors my own.

I too have issues over ToA. It isn’t the game itself however, it’s how the power level/power gamers are playing it.

For me ToA was an opportunity to play some PvE again, to do a bit of adventuring with some mates and gain a few master levels, and level an artefact or two along the way.

However, at the moment all I seem to see is people becoming very selfish and obsessive as they strife to become elite once again. Once that type of person has started to get to master levels where they feel they “own” in RvR once again then ToA may be left to us who actually like some PvE and try and play the game in the balanced way I feel it was planned.

All we need now are guilds who embrace the PvE potential of ToA and actually plan raids for the adventure and not the personal gain.

I know that I will be left behind as the power gamers drive on to regain their elite standing in the game. That is not for me personally, and I just pray that there are enough people left in the game who have the same philosophy to allow the groups to be formed which are required to gain master levels.

Otherwise ToA will be deserted in 4 months time, as SI is, except for power level spots, and the original player base will have moved on to games such as Darkfall or Dark and Light . There are also other games on the horizon too.

The best scenario will be the rise of the true PvE and RvR guild again, the worse scenario will be that realms will be protected by a few hardened souls exclaiming how wonderful they are to people who are either not listening or have moved on to different games.

The reality will be some where in between I feel.

I wonder what I will be doing in 4 months time.

Incidentally I criticise no-one, I believe in live and let live and we all thankfully have the freedom to do as we like.

Regards

Ash

Skaven

One of Freddy's beloved
Nice post ash.

Most of us in our guild are waiting for each other, so we're all on the same ML's. We usually plan a raid and get the whole ML done in one day if possible or next day if it overlaps.

Kelan

Fledgling Freddie
Well i kinda like toa and the exploring bit again,yea bit slow as a solo Bd but still kinda fun.And ive died to sooo many mobs i just past the point of caring,so what i normally do now is start the evening off with a solo gold farming session and after i got enough gold to cover ress/con charges just go off and explore some.Not in the water tho i find this to be a bit of a chore tbh, but on land some of the mobs/places u see are fun and seeing 30 setian mobs charging after your ass from thier town/fort thingy actually made me laugh again something that was quite adsent from daoc.

Do some of the quests if u finding getting groups for the ML thingys getting u down is what i say,some nice items and u get to explore this Massive add-on they have given us.

So what if we dont all get ML 10 and all the artifacts there is.I for one dont care i play this game for fun and always have,let all the leet children have thier ML so they can cream when they ppl they kill in rvr, its just a case of /release always has been and always will be.

York

Fledgling Freddie
Javlar said:

God Damn it! I always wondered why my lvl 1 fighter was getting killed alot in RvR , i forgot to PvE .. damn!!!

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Here is what i think the main difference between TOA and good old PvE is... quite simply pick up groups are already a lot harder to find in TOA - e.g you get 7-8 steps of a ML done , then group disbands... can take ages to find a group doing the parts needed for yourself especially for a non-hardcore gamer like myself - already been 4 days looking for a group to help get through ML at night - and I am resigned to either doing ML's solely at a weekend in more popular hours or trying to jump a ML group just starting and hoping that the ones i need get picked up along the way , whereas pre TOA if i needed exp I had 2 choices - 1 go wander spots where you knew that groups may be camping , or solo and thats the main problem for someone like myself at the moment , solo is pretty much out of the picture for ML's which is fine but if you play unsociable hours it pretty much negates the whole of the ML system unless you are very very lucky. TOA dictates the way it is played far more than SI did or the original DAOC which is the problem i think some have with it .
Dont get me wrong i'm not whining about it (yet) but it has changed the whole way the game is played for someone like myself - the more fortunate gamers obviously will reap the rewards whereas before I could still solo my way slowly through the levels or search for items , that has now changed , which in turn has the knock on effect to RvR which is going to be even harder to compete in now unless i choose to change my job , ditch my woman and seriously dedicate myself to some serious TOA gaming at better populated server times.

Dafft

One of Freddy's beloved
Aye ToA does kinda suck, but I admit you get some great items from it

although I do wish they would boost the proc on my bow from -%5 thrust to like -20% all melee resists.... Now that would really please me :wij:

Javlar

Fledgling Freddie
Well ok. I think i went a bit berzerk yesterday. Late night rant if you will.

I managed to make a good template for my warden so now im a bit more content.

Now just give me my artifacts, ml10 and let me go back to precious emain again kkthx.

York said:
God Damn it! I always wondered why my lvl 1 fighter was getting killed alot in RvR , i forgot to PvE .. damn!!!

As i see it (ok flame me again pve-masturs) leveling 1-50 is the learning phase. You learn your class and get the items and cash you need. For what you might ask. For RVR. 1-50 is just annoying rr1-10 is teh funneh. I'd choose getting zerged ten times out of ten rather than PVE in some normal (non-fins, non-malmo) way. IMO thats just pure shit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom