Rant To err and away

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Recently, I made a trip to Limerick. It was all part of my homage to my father and my grandfather who so kindly left me what some would call 'the bastard tax'.

Now, I've spent it wisely or so some would say, and the rest is locked away in some tight arsed Jewish community doing wonders for some local community we've never heard of.

Not that there's anything wrong with the Jews, nor do I have any levels of malevolence towards them. But there's something about money that makes us all unite in a way that brings religion and politics to a more feasible conversation to talk about.

Limerick was a nice place to go and see. Albeit it wasn't my intention to see the place the saga that followed made it all the more an acceptable face of what was to come.

After leaving Liverpool and going on a short 35 minute flight, I was soon in Shannon about to embrace my heritage from which my grandfather's father had brought about my inception.
My intention was to find a good old church of any affiliation and go pray for my recently deceased in a place known as Tarbett.

In this day and age, you would think that public services, given the price of oil and those people funneling their nasal passages with cokenoze from the profits, you would think that they would run just about normally in Ireland or anywhere else for that matter, just about normally.

However, despite the wonders of the worldwide web and it's misinformation - Things were bound to go wrong.

The site itself gave only an inkling of an idea where the hell the hotel i had booked was, indeed, gave no indication of where it was at all. But like any typical tourist, I didn't let that deter me from my short trip

Upon arriving at the airport, full of gusto and zeal. I was confronted by a coach driver asking me for six euros to get to Limerick. Now where the hell was Tarbett from Shannon?

Hmm, ok it's in Kerry and there's a connecting bus to go to my hotel on the way he assured me favourably. How that was to be proved wrong - Buses in Ireland run like grandfather clocks, if they aren't repaired or paid for correctly, you might see one going to the destination you want in about two weeks if you are lucky.

So after being given the information from the local Bus station in Limerick that there wasn't going to be a bus to where my hotel was for at least two weeks. I turned away and began to smile.

This was like the old days i thought. Only ten years ago I would have been considered a pikey, selling the big issue, traveling nowhere and anywhere just to get blindly drunk in search of something and yet nothing.

Like any good Scouser, I made amends fairly quickly with my downturn of fortune and got on with the task at hand. Now, I am not skint but I had a certain amount of cash for those two days and it was about to be gratefully eaten up by the euro and the expensive outlook of the cities grandiose outlook on it's own wealth and fortune.

So I made do with what I had. The next flight was in the morning and in all essence I should in fact make amends with what I had originally come here for and see Limerick as Shannon had about as much to offer as Deebs banning me for no reason and then sending me an email saying it was a joke and that in fact the world is actually mad in that his forum is the sanest place on the planet.

Limerick itself is a nice city. You can get around it in about 3 hours at no push. Ok you won't see around the art galleries that are there, but why swap cheese and wine when you can get so much more from the churches and monuments in the area.

Afterall, Ireland has always been known for its somewhat secular but diverse religious politics and piety.

All the churches where rather grandiose and somewhat like castles than actual places of worship. So it was no surpise to me when I arrived at King John's castle and found that the version of restoration had in fact meant they put a glass dome in the centre of it and then charged you for the privilege of looking out on the river Shannon and some inner something that made my intestines look like the castle was some sort of 'dime' bar.

So after 3 hours of looking around the city and finding a couple of bars along the way. Generally, Limerick is a nice place.

In fact it has alot of culture and vibrance about it. Not to mention the mass of bars it has to offer.

It's just a pity that there's a public service that's about as useful as a blunt pencil - else I would not have to had relied on the generosity of a nice female taxi driver taking me back to the airport for less than the price of the bus and having to stay in the airport and really testing my patience of 12 hours to get back home.

All in all, a good day was had - because I made the best of what was given and I did say prayer for my family too. So despite the setbacks it was still worth it :)

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
so, wheres the rant?

sounds like an interesting trip :) nice to see people take what given.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
From 1 to 10, 10 being the most sarcastic, I'd pitch it at around the 212 mark

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
so, wheres the rant?

sounds like an interesting trip :) nice to see people take what given.

The rant was about the poor public services in Ireland and the whole piece was set with irony and slight sarcasm :p

Binky the Bomb

Fledgling Freddie
Lived in the ROI for 3 years before signing up here (When I first played DAoC), and the bus service is bloody appalling. Was it Kavanah's or Bus Eiran (bus arse, or the 'Dick Turpin Express'), that you used? If you got the information off of one service, they wouldn't tell you about the other one.

As long as you enjoyed the trip, then I wouldn't worry to much about on seeing much of Limerick. Unless you had a car, you'd not see a lot of it anyway, all the interesting shit is to the east and west of the city.

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Lived in the ROI for 3 years before signing up here (When I first played DAoC), and the bus service is bloody appalling. Was it Kavanah's or Bus Eiran (bus arse, or the 'Dick Turpin Express'), that you used? If you got the information off of one service, they wouldn't tell you about the other one.

As long as you enjoyed the trip, then I wouldn't worry to much about on seeing much of Limerick. Unless you had a car, you'd not see a lot of it anyway, all the interesting shit is to the east and west of the city.

I liked King's island personally, it's sort of confusing when you see 3 rivers merge into on at that point on the urban terrain. :)

Binky the Bomb

Fledgling Freddie
Aye, just seems strange to me that locals look at it with such disinterest.
Which is a shame cos just upstream from the north river is Annacotty, its got a nice restaurant and a resident kingfisher as the salmon ladder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom