Time to buy a PC, but buy now or wait?

M

moomin

My aging PII350 is no longer as they say, 1337. I need a new machine, I have the pennies which I've been saving. But I've hit a dilema

In septemeber the athlon 64 is out, also the new ATi cards will be out. This means

Athlon XP prices will lower
Current ATi card prices will lower

In fact if you could post links to good offers on syste,s(no I don't want to build my own for a couple of reasons), then that'd be nice.

I'm looking for 18" LCD, 512mb, 3000 + speed CPU, audigy/nvidia sound, decent 3d card (i.e. ATi 9600), multi burner DVD, and sata HD would be sweet

S

Summo

The Hardware Forum is your greatest friend. You'll get proper, useful replies in there.

Please repost in there and lock this thread.

The General Forum is a Self-Clear Area.

E

ECA

I would say wait, simply because after HL2 is out you'll know what spec you need to run it properly :-]

H

Happy Go Lucky

I'd say you need £500 (not inc. monitor) for a good PC, and you can expect to double that if you want a good pre-built from a reputable supplier.

I like the look of ALIENWARE PC's , if only I could afford it.

M

Maljonic

There'll always be something new coming out in a few months, buy it now! You can upgrade the graphics card in September if you think you need to...

D

dysfunction

Exactly.

If you keep saying should I wait until x then when x comes other things on the horizon will look even better so you delay until then etc etc etc...

You'll end up never buying!!

M

moomin

well I'm gonna buy defintely august/september as I need my comp for uni project (3D terrain but I wanna try pixel shaders out, for water etc). I was just expecting a big price cut in athlon XPs comming up but athlon 64 maybe a super CPU or maybe not much better than XP. I can't decide really.

D

dysfunction

Just buy the highest spec you can afford

...I'm sure the Athlon 64 will be better than the XP...

S

Scooba Da Bass

I'm sure the Athlon XP will be incredibly pointless unless you run a server for at least another year or two.

P

Panda On Smack

your sig just reminded me, I bought 'Usual Suspects' special edition thing

neato

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom