Ti4400 and system lockups

S

Summo

Been running my brand new Ti4400 for a few hours now and have been experiencing frequent system lockups in GTA3. :(

After a bit of investimigating (rearranging IRQs and the like, VIA drivers etc) I think its because now that I'm running GTA3 at higher resolutions (with 4x anti-aliasing :D) my CPU is running that much hotter. BIOS temp read 57C after a reboot :eek6: and the idle temperature hovers around 50C anyway. System temp is around 25C so case airflow seems to be okay.

So... I shall continue to hunt for other causes but in the meantime I don't see any harm in getting some proper cooling in there, and wondered what you lovely peeps recommended these days in terms of heatsink, fan and thermal paste. CPU is Socket A, Athlon at 900MHz (not overclocked).

Yay, you!

W

Will

I have one of these...

zalman.jpg

Got it from here. Looks pretty, is very quiet (compared to the rest of my fans), and was a bugger to fit.:D

S

Summo

Oooh! Swanky! And I could keep my bees in it.

Thanks, Itchy. I may well get one o' them.

W

Will

What I really want is one of these...
22.jpg

Available from here and nowhere else in the UK.

S

Summo

Hmm... bit pricey, though. :/
We are proud to be the only US & UK distributor of the Silverado. Our intention is to offer our customers an unrivalled service.
Well that's not going to be hard, is it? :)

W

Will

Well, that's the price for a heatsink with 50 grams of solid silver.

E

Embattle

Prefer copper plus I don't tend to see why the CPU would be much hotter than before the Ti4400 since while you've increased the effects you've got a better gfx card.

S

Summo

I was trying not to think of that. :( I thought the increased res would put more of a strain on the CPU. It's been idle for 30 minutes or so and still registers at 55C. I'm praying that the 4400 isn't faulty as its from the forbidden supplier and I have it on good authority that my chances of getting a replacement are slim to nil. :(

Cooling! The solution must and shall be cooling! :/

E

Embattle

PAL8045 is still one of the best HSF solutions on the market although remember that price doesn't include fan and you have to remove your motherboard to fit the HSF on.

E

Embattle

Originally posted by SomeGuy
I was trying not to think of that. :( I thought the increased res would put more of a strain on the CPU. It's been idle for 30 minutes or so and still registers at 55C. I'm praying that the 4400 isn't faulty as its from the forbidden supplier and I have it on good authority that my chances of getting a replacement are slim to nil. :(

Cooling! The solution must and shall be cooling! :/

I guess the GFX could be generating extra heat that has caused the CPU temp to rise a bit. What happens if you leave the side of you case off?

S

Summo

Hmm... don't fancy removing the MB, tbh. If there's another fan that does the job just as well and doesn't need me to dismantle my PC then I'll go with that.

The note on that page says the PAL8942 requires the MB to be removed first, but doesn't say the same for the 8045. I'm confused.

And the side of the case is off. Both sides. :/

E

Embattle

Originally posted by SomeGuy
Hmm... don't fancy removing the MB, tbh. If there's another fan that does the job just as well and doesn't need me to dismantle my PC then I'll go with that.

The note on that page says the PAL8942 requires the MB to be removed first, but doesn't say the same for the 8045. I'm confused.

And the side of the case is off. Both sides. :/

It uses mounting holes which are located around the ZIF socket....thus 4 nylon nuts have to be tighten from the under side of the Mobo.

X

xane

Check your PSU outputs, the increased processing may be putting a strain on some of them, specifically the +5V line, most motherboards will freeze or cutout if they go too low or too high.

I discovered the standing +5V line on my PSU was at 4.8V, so any load, even like running an AV scan that rattles the disks, will eventually cause it to pop out.

What PSU rating you got, and what make, Enermax are notorious for having a bad +5V line.

S

Summo

Originally posted by camazotz
Check your PSU outputs, the increased processing may be putting a strain on some of them, specifically the +5V line, most motherboards will freeze or cutout if they go too low or too high.

I discovered the standing +5V line on my PSU was at 4.8V, so any load, even like running an AV scan that rattles the disks, will eventually cause it to pop out.

What PSU rating you got, and what make, Enermax are notorious for having a bad +5V line.

Ooh dear. This is all strange and frightening. :( My PSU is 350 watt. Ample powerage but I have no idea about voltage and stuff. How do I found out what the 'standing +5V line on my PSU' is? Is it adjustable if it's wrong? Ooh dear. :(

I'll check what I can when I get home.

E

Embattle

If you go into the BIOS the figures are listed in the Health/Monitoring section or you can use the monitoring software that normally comes with most mobos.

S

Summo

Top banana! I'll have a wee look.

Could this whole problem be this infinite loop thing I've heard about (in that other tread :p)? Certainly has all the signs...

E

Embattle

It could be that...then again there is little difference between that and a number of problems comps can get.

T

throdgrain

Whats all this about then ? As I said in the other thread, my pc seems to be running at 55 deg (at least,thats one of the readings :) ) and is fine. And the p3 I have read 75 deg most of the time, yet still works perfectly after 18 months use.
As some of you may know, I work in the motorcycle industry. We often get peeps coming back saying their bike is running hot, the gauge is reading this when it should be reading that. So long sa the fan aint coming on its never a problem.
In fact, the most common thing at fault is the gauge itself :)

S

Summo

Dammit! Then why is my PC locking up since the Ti4400 has been installed? :(

Cama - power readings as follows:

Meridian ATX 2.01 (300W max, not 350W as I previously stated)
Vcore 1.77V
3.3V - 3.36V
5V - 4.90V
12V - 11.82V

Should these readings be spot on or is some discrepency acceptible? Am I able to 'tweak' this without frying myself?

T

throdgrain

Thats kind of what I was suggesting summo, that either the heat change is not the problem at all, or at worst maybe that its a symptom rather than the cause.
Does it lock up on other games by the way? Or is it just on GTA3?

S

Summo

Locked up on Operation Flashpoint as well. Now going through various BIOS settings one-by-one. :(

E

Embattle

What is the current Voltage setting for AGP in your BIOS?

U

Ukle

Another sufferer cured

I was having this when i originally built my system, system locking up all the time at random moments. Upgraded the PSU and problems resolved although not fully. I still have crashes but blue screen crashes related to ACPI which appear to be caused by the pile of s*it that is my Soundblaster Audigy, but none of the faults appear to be caused by the TI4400.

I was running with a 300 watt supply and changed to a 425 watt.

1234Taz

If its a gainward GF4 Ti4400 and you got it from Overclockers.co.uk take it out your PC and send it back. I had to send two back becuasse they have had a bad batch of cards with faulty video memory and they stoped selling them now till gainward fix the problem. Both cards I got had real bad lockup problems, if not ignore me :D

P

PR.

See!! Should of got a 4600 :p

Nah, I know how you feel my old GF3 constantly locked up both of my machine so I sent it back to Novatech, now 2months later they are sending it back to me telling me it definately works fine, they can't get me a replacement because Elsa are dead and they have no equivalent models :(

Hopefully the problems I was having were down to my SCSI card, as my boss at work had a similar problem with his GF2mx when he had a SCSI card installed, you got one Summo?

Hope you get well soon

edit/ how the hell can the temp be 55c with the sides of the case off??

My P4 idles @ 38c with the case closed and the thick accoustic padding installed. I got one of those Zalman Flower Pentium IV CNPS6500-ALCU 'silent' CPU Coolers they are much quieter than the stock fan

S

Summo

Well, running AGP at 2x rather than 4x has resulted in a top stability. Sorted the problem, though at obvious loss of speed and quality. :(

At least I have something to go on, now.

Embeh - Not sure how to check the voltage of the AGP slot. I'll check again in the BIOS.

I didn't get this from overclockers.co.uk, and I suspect the card is fine. As I say, runs fine at 2x.

My impossible quest continues...

Users who are viewing this thread