Those who don't learn from History...

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
I thought GAME was out of monies? They closed down fairly quickly after setting up shop here in Denmark.. Just enough time for me to buy a fucked GamePad, which didn't work. At the time I contemplated whether they opened up in Denmark just to take my money and then fuck off again as soon as they saw the greens. Now I see how they are being spent. Might as well have opened up the window and thrown that money on the street

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Nah Game were no fan of the Green. They wanted to make this place some kind of ghastly purple and grey affair.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Nah Game were no fan of the Green. They wanted to make this place some kind of ghastly purple and grey affair.

The fucking hoops I jumped through to keep some green on the site, and for the record green is a terrible colour from a usability pov.

Back on topic, I hope Multiplay actually get their 20m; they've run their business pretty astutely over the last 10-12 years and I'd hate see them get burned if and when GAME goes tits (again)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Moribund.

There. It's been said.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
I must not know my history, why is this bad and/or funny?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Well...GAME... not sure anyone takes them seriously any more. Digital media on a physical item, very 2002. Buying some half arsed esports thing isn't going to help.

And FH history.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
I think the end of the article points out the current situation GAME are in. PC is dominated by Steam, and anything sold in a box is competing against Amazon and all the other online retailers.

I'm not sure how I feel about this though. Multiplay is a sustainable business(?), but does it really have much of an eSports or competitive gaming presence outside of the i-series events? I guess there's still plenty of opportunity for growth - look at ESL running larger events with an insane number of people watching online also.

Just as long as they don't turn it into something unsustainable.

DaGaffer

I think the end of the article points out the current situation GAME are in. PC is dominated by Steam, and anything sold in a box is competing against Amazon and all the other online retailers.

The same situation they knew was going to happen, oh, fourteen years ago when they bought a certain green gaming service? And they also knew when GAME was resurrected from the ashes four years ago.

I'm not sure how I feel about this though. Multiplay is a sustainable business(?), but does it really have much of an eSports or competitive gaming presence outside of the i-series events? I guess there's still plenty of opportunity for growth - look at ESL running larger events with an insane number of people watching online also.

Just as long as they don't turn it into something unsustainable.

Multiplay won't save them. Its too late (also all that stuff about running events in the larger stores; no chance, did the maths years ago, and it won't have got better - GAME had a great in-store gaming service in Spain, but they killed it, and it only worked in Spain because rents are way cheaper than the UK). Its too late to leverage their assets into a Steam competitor, its too late to turn themselves into a pure ecommerce business.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Meh, more esports or a failed venture. First option is better for gaming, but will live without it just fine.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Back on topic, I hope Multiplay actually get their 20m; they've run their business pretty astutely over the last 10-12 years and I'd hate see them get burned if and when GAME goes tits (again)
In all honesty, this. I hope they took everything in cash. Met a rake of the Multiplay guys way back when I was doing GamesDomain stuff and they were all thoroughly decent sorts.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
There is no facepalm meme which can adequately express what needs to be said here.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I think the owners of Game'll be making a pretty penny either way. Phoenix companies...

DaGaffer

In all honesty, this. I hope they took everything in cash. Met a rake of the Multiplay guys way back when I was doing GamesDomain stuff and they were all thoroughly decent sorts.

They're getting 12m up front, and the rest in stock. I'm guessing the 12m is after an earn out period (could be as little as six months or as much as 3 years). So basically the calculation they've made at Game "is will this put more than 12m on the share price?" Given how suggestible analysts are, it might just work. What it is not, is any kind of strategic play to transform the company. I just flat out don't believe that.

I think the owners of Game'll be making a pretty penny either way. Phoenix companies...

This. They're just keeping the show on the road until they can cash out or sell on.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I don't know why they bother to speculate. Everyone knows they will be bust again shortly. We know it, they know it. The single reason it didn't happen shortly after they rose from the ashes was because new hardware was released, now that teat has dried up, they are fucked again.

They are a strikingly irrelevant company that still thinks it is the year 2000. When was the last time anyone bought a game, from game?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Everyone knows they will be bust again shortly. We know it, they know it.
And that's the business plan.

When it goes bust, you get to sack all the staff you don't like and re-hire the ones you do on completely new terms and re-buy all the company assets at about 1% of the original cost.

So free money. Big house.

My brother in law (high level commercial lawyer) once pointed at all the houses in his very nice-to-do area and said that at least half of the people who own them run phoenix companies.

Crime pays. Especially when the government won't describe it as a crime.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I don't know why they bother to speculate. Everyone knows they will be bust again shortly. We know it, they know it. The single reason it didn't happen shortly after they rose from the ashes was because new hardware was released, now that teat has dried up, they are fucked again.

They are a strikingly irrelevant company that still thinks it is the year 2000. When was the last time anyone bought a game, from game?
Only go in there to see if the second hand games are worth it. Tbh I get my ps4 games from the supermarket if I want them cause they give nectar points hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom