Thinking of returning

A

Alustriel

Hello guys,
After a very long break from DAOC I am thinking of returning my only choice to make right now is whether I play on american server as I did before or come join my fellow Euros. Has anyone here played on both that can give me an insight as to what main differences,advantages and which you preferred over all.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
american servers get the latest stuff sooner... we're about 2-3 months behind on the patches/expansions.

US gets new toys sooner, however they get new bugs sooner too - less polished versions (see ToA for example - we got version 1.67 straight off which was pretty stable, 1.66 was a patch a day). If there's major bugs we get the fixed versions usually. (minor bugs/things that take longer to fix we have to wait for of course)

More downtime from patches and the like in the US:
EU servers tend to go down for the main patch then once or twice before the next one - usually in EU mornings.
US servers usually have two or three fix patches in the week or two after a major patch (or for a month after in the case of ToA) however they tend to patch afternoon->evening UK time.

There are more english servers on the US to make characters on - only Excalibur and Prydwen here (and PvP camlann) unless you want to try a foreign language version (which can be fun). Most casual players only seem to only play the one server/realm as a "main" realm and maybe have a set of alts on another server so I'm not sure it's that big a deal. Personally, I rarely ever play my hib alts on prydwen.

There is no European Co-op server so if you want an all three realms on the same side with no RvR server you'll have to go to the US.

Anything else I've forgotten?

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Oh yeah... raids and stuff:

If you're in UK time (or european timezones) it'll be quieter on the US servers for raids and RvR - some servers are busier than others in EU timezones but they will be quieter than the GOA servers.

This could be a good thing (if you like your RvR quiet) but for things like Master Levels and other epic raids you'll find it hard to catch them unless you can stay up till 4am.

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
I love not getting all the bugs, I know one or two have been in the players favour but on the whole it's far better. It's also nice to know "what to expect" so you can prepare yourself, get that item that's about to get improved etc :)

Tilda

Overall UK is better, if you PM me your email address i'll send you a link for a 15 day free trial!

Syri

FH is my second home
Flimgoblin said:
Oh yeah... raids and stuff:

If you're in UK time (or european timezones) it'll be quieter on the US servers for raids and RvR - some servers are busier than others in EU timezones but they will be quieter than the GOA servers.

This could be a good thing (if you like your RvR quiet) but for things like Master Levels and other epic raids you'll find it hard to catch them unless you can stay up till 4am.
actually, i'd have to disagree with that. at peak times, both merlin and lancelot have regularly got more online than excalibur. sometimes more than excal and pryd combined. it's only the smaller servers that may be lower, though these are now clustered, so even those might be decent.

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
The raids are generally planned for US evening though just as we have them UK evening 90% of the time, so you'd have to stay up pretty late to get to them.

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
Most common thing I hear about euro players playing on american servers is the time zone issue. :p

I don't really see the delay in patching that much of a concern tbh, patience. ;)

jimmyh

Fledgling Freddie
Well i'm playing the US 14 day trial and i logon to Merlin which has the highest population...and when i go on in the evening in the uk..there are still 1300-1500 people on at that time...way more than the UK server has.

Altho i only play on that server is because the trial uses the new catacombs engine....and the control method is a little better not to mention it has a tutorial.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
yeah we get that in a month or two over here :)

free catacombs engine + tutorial just came out over there.

jimmyh

Fledgling Freddie
So does the catacombs release box in europe have the new engine?

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
jimmyh said:
So does the catacombs release box in europe have the new engine?

yep, also grants access to the extra 2 char slots, new classes, instanced dungeons/tasks and new zones.

it's the "freebie catacombs graphics engine" that everyone gets in 1.75 :) (at least I expect GOA will follow suit - I imagine 1.75 is required on the servers for people to have catacombs graphics on SI accounts though).

i.e. if you have an SI only account you can get nice graphics but can't go into the catacombs areas, enter task dungeons or the likes.

jimmyh

Fledgling Freddie
Well today i have ordered the complete game with all expansions for almost £25....play.com :)

Where can we find out what they plan to add to the game?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom