thinking of coming back UK or US

payne

Fledgling Freddie
Hi I am thinking of coming back to DAOC after a year plus break as money for expansions not a huge issue what is a better option after looking at he population on the uk servers would going to US servers be a better option i know time zone thing is a pain but as i ahve no language skills apart from english i think going to larger populated US servers may be a better option as i want to play classic sever

eble@work

Fledgling Freddie
payne said:
Hi I am thinking of coming back to DAOC after a year plus break as money for expansions not a huge issue what is a better option after looking at he population on the uk servers would going to US servers be a better option i know time zone thing is a pain but as i ahve no language skills apart from english i think going to larger populated US servers may be a better option as i want to play classic sever

In all honesty mate your better riding out the end of this game on a US server, the population on English Euro cluster is low and is causing all manner of problems.

Quite a few people have left Euro to goto US servers perhaps someone else might be able to advise which server cluster to join, but from what I heard they have no issues with people being offline as we do.

Good luck :)

Eble

payne

Fledgling Freddie
after reading a few pages of posts on here it sounds US may be a far better option :-( which is a shame. so could anyone tell me if i do go US whats good server to go to that has a high pop of europeans on >

Laddey

FH is my second home
payne said:
after reading a few pages of posts on here it sounds US may be a far better option :-( which is a shame. so could anyone tell me if i do go US whats good server to go to that has a high pop of europeans on >

Gareth is the Classic Server, theres a cluster but cant remember all servers.

Theres a nice guild of EU time-zone people on Merlin, another cluster cant remember the servers. Celtic Llaw, dunno if they're open for recruitment but you can always ask!

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Laddey said:
Gareth is the Classic Server, theres a cluster but cant remember all servers.

Theres a nice guild of EU time-zone people on Merlin, another cluster cant remember the servers. Celtic Llaw, dunno if they're open for recruitment but you can always ask!

Gareth, Lamorak & Ector.

Known as the Bossiney Cluster :)

Jox

Fledgling Freddie

The best would probably be Defias Brotherhood... by far.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
UK server pop will probably stay low till LoTM comes out, when it'll go back up a bit.

Contrary to what some of the people who've gone to the US servers might post the Excal/Prydwen cluster is still actually switched on with quite a few people playing on it.

Numbers aren't what they were of course and you might prefer a higher pop US cluster of clusters.

Means starting again from scratch of course, plus slightly higher ping on average* because of the longer routes to the servers. It's not a big deal but it is noticeable occasionally. Timezone differences might annoy you too but the US server pops have a flatter curve - european ones are concentrated in GMT/CET, US is spread over a few timezones + the EU/international players.

* if you want to whinge about OT, for one that's not on average and for two it's not been a problem for at least a year if not longer.

Bikkus

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
plus slightly higher ping on average* because of the longer routes to the servers. It's not a big deal but it is noticeable occasionally.

For me personally there is no major lag issues for me on the US servers. In actual fact I seem to lag far more often on the Euro servers, but as i said thats just my experience.

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
US or one of the non english servers are the only real choice. The english GOA servers are well past there best.

payne

Fledgling Freddie
looking at the US doac site i would have to pay to download darkness rising and catacombs as it claims it will only ship epic pack to the states :-( or is it just better to go to US amzon and buy the epic pack and get it shipped over ?

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
basically, start a trialacc, upgrade it to all expansions for 30 dollars and you got all you need. You can do all this online and you can download it all aswell.

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
why not try out both servers and decide most of the negative posts about the UK servers are from people who no longer play here.

Sollac

Fledgling Freddie
I agree with the above poster.

most negative is from people who dont care about the server.

the RVR on the eu server has been superb recently, im a casual player and enjoy all aspects of the game and find that its really good atm......Im not an rp horney leet player ..but even i can make 30-100k in a week which suits me fine.

dead.....no way, better .....yes as all the nasty/leet people have left.

would say thou the only issue we have is population shift to the realm that has the most relics.

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
The UK cluster is not inactive. If you are into bridge action and sieges there seems to be plenty of activity. In game it looks like there is a lot less conflict and people appear to be much happier since recent events. The population is relatively stable at around 700 on an average night dipping to 600 on Thursdays.

If you want some full group RvR (8vs8)apparently that has now more or less gone although there seem to be some attempts underway to try and kickstart that. We will see how it goes for those people over the next week or so.

If you want solo action as always that seems to be a mixed bag. But then it is an MMO-rpg and so that will always be the case from what I can see.

So the server has decent action more or less of one variety. We also know that you can get sieges at 6 am but they don't seem to tell you when thats ghoing to happen sadly. ;)

As for Sollac posts like his (the usual anti leet bullshit without any real argument) remain one of the major reasons why many decent people who have active EU accounts will remain unwilling to return.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Bikkus said:
For me personally there is no major lag issues for me on the US servers. In actual fact I seem to lag far more often on the Euro servers, but as i said thats just my experience.

I've had more dodgy router problems over my time playing on the euro servers but I've played far more on excal than on any US server in my 5 years playing so wouldn't have noticed them.

However, when everything is running fine the average ping to the US servers will be slightly higher for me (from Edinburgh) than to the european servers - it's noticeable as a slight increase in ghosting - e.g. trying to do ML 1.1 for my heretic back in catacombs beta I kept pulling Aithos along with Sunkaio due to lag ghosting, never had that on the european servers apart from the time when OT was being cack..

It's not a huge thing by any means but it is there.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Sharkith said:
As for Sollac posts like his (the usual anti leet bullshit without any real argument) remain one of the major reasons why many decent people who have active EU accounts will remain unwilling to return.

He said "all the nasty/leet people left" not "all the people who left are nasty/leet"

He's wrong of course there's plenty of nasty people left ;)

But on your objection to his comment: if the cap fits....

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
I should add that you can check out all your options here without going to the US by going to the other servers section.

A lot of us are on Avalon at the moment where the action is apparently solid 24/7 and where you can have 8vs8, 1 vs 1, and zergtastivc sessions.

In Mid Avalon NFD and other have formed an alliance in there there is a Guild called the Green Room where we have an open invite policy - i.e. turn up and ask for an invite and you will be in an English speaking alliance fairly quickly. Things are just getting going these days but it is all very positive and your more than welcome. :)

Sharkith

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Flimgoblin said:
He said "all the nasty/leet people left" not "all the people who left are nasty/leet"

He's wrong of course there's plenty of nasty people left ;)

But on your objection to his comment: if the cap fits....

yeah gotcha :)

TBH for me all this angst is at last going away.

Ideally the best outcome here would be to feel welcome and encouraged to play in all servers. A lot of the peeps who moved do go back there fairly regularly. Anyway time to stop taking stuff personally. ;)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Sharkith - come play Dyvet ;)

Incidentally if the reports about zergy/lagginess are to be believed it'll be a dream to play the labyrinth on Dyvet compared to a more populous server.

Sollac

Fledgling Freddie
Sharkith said:
The UK cluster is not inactive. If you are into bridge action and sieges there seems to be plenty of activity. In game it looks like there is a lot less conflict and people appear to be much happier since recent events. The population is relatively stable at around 700 on an average night dipping to 600 on Thursdays.

If you want some full group RvR (8vs8)apparently that has now more or less gone although there seem to be some attempts underway to try and kickstart that. We will see how it goes for those people over the next week or so.

If you want solo action as always that seems to be a mixed bag. But then it is an MMO-rpg and so that will always be the case from what I can see.

So the server has decent action more or less of one variety. We also know that you can get sieges at 6 am but they don't seem to tell you when thats ghoing to happen sadly. ;)

As for Sollac posts like his (the usual anti leet bullshit without any real argument) remain one of the major reasons why many decent people who have active EU accounts will remain unwilling to return.[/QUOTE]

bridge camp's are crap i agree, but can be fun but not all the time.

sieges !! part of the game so may as well enjoy it.

As for my posts, perhaps read it properly to understand.....you said it your self since most of the 8v8 bunch have left the server seems more stable, happier and a lot less conflict..............

the proof of the pudding was in the eating of it.

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
Sollac said:
bridge camp's are crap i agree, but can be fun but not all the time.

sieges !! part of the game so may as well enjoy it.

As for my posts, perhaps read it properly to understand.....you said it your self since most of the 8v8 bunch have left the server seems more stable, happier and a lot less conflict..............

the proof of the pudding was in the eating of it.

I have camped bridges, zerged, sieged, soloed and played 8 vs 8. Its all good in its own way Sollac and I have loved all of it at some time or other.

I did not say that since most 8vs8 people left the server it got better. However I had a feeling you were saying that - now you have just clarified this I can see my suspicions were right.

Now if your the one eating the pudding and you want to prove that it is a nice pudding you probably ought to try to make it sound nice because your posts are a bad advertisement for the state of the server. You obviously don't care that the people looking for 8 vs 8 action on your server think it sucks like a big hairy donkeys ass. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom