Thinking about moving to the EU server

Tarang

Fledgling Freddie
Hello everyone, I am new player here. At the moment, I have the US copy of the game, bought over the internet. The problem is, I live in Sweden. 8 Hours ahead of most US players. So my problem is, when I am on primetime, most people are asleep or at work over there. So I am thinking of moving over to the EU servers just so I can play with people on normal hours. It sometimes happens to lag behind abit because of the distance betwean my computer and the server too. The problem I see with this is the EU servers is 6 months behind with patches. The expansions all arrive in the US before it hits the european market. And the fact that I have to grind my characters up to lvl 50 again.

So what do you people see as plusses or minus with this idea? Any suggestions?

I was thinking about Glastonbury since I want a classic server, but what is the current population there? Hibernia has the most players, or is it Midgard or Albion? The reason I am wondering is I don't want to play Hibernia, but Albion or Midgard is fine. Played Midgard alot, but never Albion but it would be fun to try out new things. Only problem then is it would take alot of time to learn everything about the new classes and stuff.

Thanks for the help in advance!

xxManiacxx

Can't get enough of FH
Always funny to see this imigrants transfering to EU after Mythic has done a major banning spree

Tilda

Glastonbury is a good server, and people are still leveling up, so you'll be fine for leveling.
Mid is the most populated probably followed closley by hib, alb are a bit behind so i'd go with them.
If you post what classes you enjoy playing we can probably advise you as to what classes in alb you'd enjoy.

Regarding the patches, its probably a benefit imo as you know whats comming and can prepare for it, in addition, we get it without all the post-patch day bugs that all the US people find.

Secondly, in the EU bug abuse/radar is far far less common than the US, so the playing field is fairer.

Tilda

Tarang

Fledgling Freddie
xxManiacxx said:
Always funny to see this imigrants transfering to EU after Mythic has done a major banning spree

You could always contact me on the Gareth server, name is Tarang in midgard. Sometimes on as Londall but that rarely happens. Or you could contact anyone in Dark Rage and ask them about me.

Zdeath said:
Welcome to EU servers. Get my pm?

Yes, I got your pm, and I have sent one back to! :)

Tilda said:
Glastonbury is a good server, and people are still leveling up, so you'll be fine for leveling.
Mid is the most populated probably followed closley by hib, alb are a bit behind so i'd go with them.
If you post what classes you enjoy playing we can probably advise you as to what classes in alb you'd enjoy.

Regarding the patches, its probably a benefit imo as you know whats comming and can prepare for it, in addition, we get it without all the post-patch day bugs that all the US people find.

Secondly, in the EU bug abuse/radar is far far less common than the US, so the playing field is fairer.

Tilda

I enjoy most classes in their own way, played a caster, a stealther and a tank so far, all of the was fun! So I am pretty much open to everything. What I need most info on though is Albion since I have never played them. Thanks for the help anyway!

exponentiaL

Fledgling Freddie
All I can add on the others that have posted here about what you should play;

You seem to me like a player that isn't all about just leveling a char to 50 solo, not meeting any new players ( You hardly know anyone here I assume. ) so therefor I'd make a groupfriendly character. Most classes that get groups rather easy are quite often also used in RvR groups, so that's a pro.

I'd say you should take a class with lots of Utility. Utility makes you last longer when having the moments of being bored or whatsoever. For example, a Wizard has little utility, so having to bolt/bolt/dd-spam every mob you fight might not be your thing.

-- assuming you'll be going to Albion;

Heretic
Sorc
Cleric ( has lots to do but might often be a bit boring in PvE due the spam of heals constantly, I sure enjoyed mine back in the days though. :) )
Theurgist
Cabalist
Minstrel ( Two+ years ago when I played they were still quite welcome in groups, don't know how it is going with Mincers these days but sure have quite a lot of utility. Especially when you're the main cc'er. )

Can't think of any other classes that I found a good esset to a group/had lots of utility as a class. :)

Hope it makes you pick sooner so you can go out there and start having fun! :)

Tarang

Fledgling Freddie
exponentiaL said:
All I can add on the others that have posted here about what you should play;

You seem to me like a player that isn't all about just leveling a char to 50 solo, not meeting any new players ( You hardly know anyone here I assume. ) so therefor I'd make a groupfriendly character. Most classes that get groups rather easy are quite often also used in RvR groups, so that's a pro.

I'd say you should take a class with lots of Utility. Utility makes you last longer when having the moments of being bored or whatsoever. For example, a Wizard has little utility, so having to bolt/bolt/dd-spam every mob you fight might not be your thing.

-- assuming you'll be going to Albion;

Heretic
Sorc
Cleric ( has lots to do but might often be a bit boring in PvE due the spam of heals constantly, I sure enjoyed mine back in the days though. :) )
Theurgist
Cabalist
Minstrel ( Two+ years ago when I played they were still quite welcome in groups, don't know how it is going with Mincers these days but sure have quite a lot of utility. Especially when you're the main cc'er. )

Can't think of any other classes that I found a good esset to a group/had lots of utility as a class. :)

Hope it makes you pick sooner so you can go out there and start having fun! :)

Well, on Glasonbury I think I will be going Albion. I like to test out new stuff and since I like to be the underdog also, I figured, why not. And you are absolutely right, I hate going solo. So a groupfriendly character isn't such a bad idea. I will probably test out some different characters to start with, and then going for the one I like the most. I will have that list in the back of my head when choosing tough.

Anyone knows if the EU servers lag more than the US?

Thanks for the help guys, and/or girls :)

Everz

FH is my second home
It probably the same lag on EU as US, anyways, welcome.

Tarang

Fledgling Freddie
Sounds great, will be joining some of you tomorrow I guess :D See you all out there!

Any more suggestions on a class that would fit me or a guide on how to play Albion or something like that? Cause I will feel really lost not being in Vikingland.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
downside: we get the new shinies about 3 months after the US.

upside: the new shinies tend to be a bit less buggy by the time we get them (as they've been tested on live for a few weeks before the US sends it here)

other upside is more people are on/raids are organised for your timezone.

Lejemorder

Fledgling Freddie
Eversmallx said:
It probably the same lag on EU as US, anyways, welcome.

not really, i rarelly feel lag on US server unless its 100 people in the same zone, where on EU server you could lag by just stadning in the alone in the whole zone.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Lejemorder said:
not really, i rarelly feel lag on US server unless its 100 people in the same zone, where on EU server you could lag by just stadning in the alone in the whole zone.

Servers are fine, its the worthless french internet backbone (and occasionally some other country) that causes trouble 99 out of a 100 times when we lag.

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH
I play both and I only enjoy US more cause if my sweet guild over there.

RvR on US vs EU (according to me)
US rvr is laid back, its hardcore part died ages ago
EU guilds are very competitive. forget running a half bad pug and get away with more than 5K rps during a night(if you dont zerg and add that is)
US servers might aswell put radar as a tool since so many uses it anyway
EU dont have that high radar pop, it doenst seem like it to me nevertheless

US servers has across the world pop servers are really never"down" cause of the off and on hours between people.
EU people thinks freddys is the god of all forums and hate vn
US spams vnboards and make EU players belive thats how the people are ingame xD

It seems hard to join a somewhat good rvr guild on EU if you dont know people here or are very good and easy to get to know new people.

In my conclusion
EU if you desperately need the swedish hours(Im swedish myself and know what off peak rvr is over there)
US if you want anything else, its just better in all ways. THAT again in my own conclusion

Belief_!

Banned
Chimaira said:

EU guilds are very competitive. forget running a half bad pug and get away with more than 5K rps during a night(if you dont zerg and add that is)

US servers has across the world pop servers are really never"down" cause of the off and on hours between people.

It seems hard to join a somewhat good rvr guild on EU if you dont know people here or are very good and easy to get to know new people.

In my conclusion
EU if you desperately need the swedish hours(Im swedish myself and know what off peak rvr is over there)
US if you want anything else, its just better in all ways. THAT again in my own conclusion

having no competition is good? hah

Tarang

Fledgling Freddie
Chimaira said:

In my conclusion

So at what times are you on anyway? Cause I am having some trouble finding the good primetime hours for the US servers.

So many people think there is a difference in lag then?

Nomans Land

One of Freddy's beloved
Chimaira said:

In my conclusion

So playing on servers with more Radar is fun? :x

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
I agree to that it used to be alot more on US, tho atm there is hardly any radar on US after the latest ban's

Libertine

One of Freddy's beloved
UK player here playing on the US servers, one of the reasons i stopped playing EU is GOA and the appauling lag that comes with thier service. Every month or two you are guarenteed massive lag spikes for days to weeks which ruin the game.

Then you also factor in no in game support, any problems you have to send a message via rightnever, and the Excal/Prydwen cluster has a low population due to GOA's extremely poor marketing of the game over the years.

Then you have the billing issues with GOA some of which are highlighted on this first page. Overall the US service is much higher.

Having the patches straight away is much better imho, warlocks get a nice nerf this patch, EU has 3 or so more months of them.

I am on the Kilbury cluster where 40% of the bannings happened and it was funny reading the whines from radar users how they lost their accounts, but the rvr now is far better, no more 8 mans beeling for you and hitting you from the side or behind every fight. I'm not sure if GOA are using the technology yet.

But there is always rvr on the kilbury cluster, no matter what time you play.

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
GOA ban many cheaters/radar abusers on the servers, the community just doesn't get a list of names.

Nomans Land

One of Freddy's beloved
Libertine said:
Having the patches straight away is much better imho, warlocks get a nice nerf this patch, EU has 3 or so more months of them.

You do have to remember that EU servers having been like 3months behind since day one which only means that if you moved from EU to US then you can going to be behind* even more so.

* There is no exact defination of behind in this game as there is so much to do, so many lvl 50s you can make, so many RPs. But if you had been on that server when it started you would have done more than you have now.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Libertine said:

We've only had warlocks for 12 months they've been around for 15 on the US servers - so 15 months of overpowered warlocks on both.

Also given the upcoming nerfs I'm sure some warlocks will give up now - so for the next 3 months we'll have less warlocks than ther were on the US servers.

Not to mention we never got 1.66 on the EU servers - we started ToA on 1.67 which was about 50% of the bugs removed (there were a LOT of bugs in 1.66 ;))

being at the bleeding edge isn't always good. 1.81 for example - people found out only a short time ahead that artis would become worthless - if you'd gone out and bought a GoV a day before the 1.81 notes hit pendragon you'd be a bit miffed. Over here there's 3 months warning and paying for a GoV 3 months before it would have been free isn't quite as bad.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
also america does not get server corruption like we do :) how can you say no to that!

nah just messing with ya, to be fair your gonna lose some nice things from the USA server but look at it this way, your a swede and there are tons of you guys on excal/pryd so you can speak the native tongue :)

imo eu is better in the long run

popa

Fledgling Freddie
just stop spam about the lag that now is becouse alot of ppl download DR from goa site and not bittorent

Nomans Land

One of Freddy's beloved
popa said:
just stop spam about the lag that now is becouse alot of ppl download DR from goa site and not bittorent

Bullshit. Lag happens at alot of other times when there aint patching / downloading.

Tarang

Fledgling Freddie
Libertine said:

A far to big nerf if you ask me. About 50% of the spike DPS and around 30% sustained DPS is gone. A bit much, if you ask me.

I am getting the EU trial version and will check the lag and stuff before I decide, I think. Many people here seems to be of the idea that GOA is not very good at offering service, when Mythic is all about it. Guess GOA needs to shape up :twak:

Thanks for the help anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom