Thinking about buying WoW

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I've heard lots of talk that this WoW business is supposed to be good fun, and that its a good game.

So, in one paragraph, can anybody tell me whats good about it, and convince me to part with the readies? I just fancy playing something else tbh, getting a bit fed up of FPS games. What do you do?

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
I wouldn't ever recommend any MMORPG to anyone if they didn't already have people to play with. I'm also hesitant about recommending any MMORPG to somewhat normal people with somewhat interesting lives. That said, WoW is one of the less tedious MMORPGs to start out with, by virtue of its comparitively rapid progression, and if you haven't tried any of this genre you might as well give it a go. I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it quite a lot more while there was still an element of exploration and discovery.

Basically, the attraction of an MMORPG for me is the combination of persistence and scale. There is a world to explore, and it goes on existing while you're not there - it creates an immensely different atmosphere to that of a transient round-based FPS or whatever. The sense of progression is kind of secondary to these things, but is still fairly essential. Lastly, the social aspect is kind of a blessing and a curse. The game is more enjoyable if you play with people you enjoy chatting with, and is similarly less enjoyable if you wind up playing with a bunch of morons - as is frequently going to be the case, no matter what MMORPG you play.

So yeah, I basically play with a couple of my cynical friends purely so that I have someone I can make fun of virtually everyone else with.

Oh, one paragraph you said? Oh well.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Looking for something different?

Maybe something that won't consume your life and cost you a tenner a month for the privilege?

If you decide against WoW then think about Dawn of War and Winter Assault expansion. I know it's a RTS but there are quite a few of us playing it now. Check the RTS forums. I've not played MP yet but there is good promise of regular games with the FH regs.

It would be good to get more players. FH 8 player skirmishes. Rock!

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
WoW is a fairly good introduction to MMORPGs. It's worth playing for the first "free" month to satisfy your curiosity.

You can come into it with two mindsets:

#1 Casual: You're looking to fill in the odd evening, and you know you'll never commit your life to the game for a set of armour.

#2 Hardcore: Put your life on hold, you want to play 8 days a week, collect every highend item for your character over 8 months of obsessive farming/raiding. Killing the same monster for 10hours straight doesn't bore you.

You need to be clear on this before starting. You cannot experience the highend PvE/PvP without dedicating huge chunks of your life to stay in the game.

I've recently re-opened my account to start a new char. This time I'm going to stick to world PvP at lower levels. So I can login, have some fights and logout without wasting an entire evening! :D

leggy

Probably Scottish
Escape said:
#
You need to be clear on this before starting. You cannot experience the highend PvE/PvP without dedicating huge chunks of your life to stay in the game.

I'm very open minded about gaming as I spend a lot of time doing it. This however, I can't ever agree with.

I hate sounding like your mum but there really is so much more to life. Wasting years of your life fighting virtual monsters really isn't healthy.

Sorry to sound like a parent but I can't help but worry about things like this.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
ok fuck WoW then, I don't want to end up spending loads of time accumulating imaginary wealth. I'd rather have a laugh blowing someone skywards on DOD:S :)

I will check out that Warhaammer game Legster :)

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
WoW is an awesome game with the right group of people. Luckily we have that. We dont raid 8 days a week and we do experience high end content although slower than other guilds who raid.... We have a great laugh on TS and people either like us or they dont.. if they don't like our progress then they can go raid 8 days a week :)

It will only take over your reality if you let it....I don't think the majority of people in our guild do

For me the people and the achievement of taking a boss down for the first time keep me playing at the moment... (nothing like 40 people doing the right thing all at the same moment to achieve a common goal) TBC is out soon.

I don't think this game is for you Tom...it doesnt have the instant gratification you seem to require

leggy

Probably Scottish
My message was a little biased as I have never played the game. To be honest it looks great and I mean that. I have played MMOs in the past and while I love the community aspect of them, they just don't appeal to me on a gaming level. I'm definitely a bit of an action whore. Hence why I prefer short sp RPGs.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
battlegrounds fulfil my instant action urges leggy :)

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Battlegrounds are fun - at low level bit like Battlefield 2 in so much as respawn when you die and get stuck back into it straight away, and fights last 15-20mins a time. Ideal for casual gaming - though there is a queue system so you might wait 10-20 mins to get into one so its more like 45mins playtime. Actual levelling - I have stopped playing DAOC atm and am playing WoW and find the levelling fun even solo, some nice quests etc to keep me occupied. I am nowhere near a hardcore gamer in time spent on a PC per week etc but I am still enjoying dropping in and out of WoW whenever I get a spare hour here n there.

WiZe^

Can't get enough of FH
And now whit cross-realm pvp = almost insta pvp :) <3

Motowntheta

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
I've heard lots of talk that this WoW business is supposed to be good fun, and that its a good game.

So, in one paragraph, can anybody tell me whats good about it, and convince me to part with the readies? I just fancy playing something else tbh, getting a bit fed up of FPS games. What do you do?

I started playing over a month ago as some of our DDO members wanted a break and we had never played WOW. So far it's fun... lots of room for exploring :)

Tilda

Howdy all,

I have a sudden urge to play a dwarf!
Is there a buddy system or introduce a friend system atm?
I seem to remember I sold/gave away my account, this is apparently confirmed by the fact that it dosn't recognise any of my email addresses in the "I forgot my account name"

Additionally what server would I find Yoni, deebs, jup et al?

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
Selling your account is norty mmk ;)

Aye there's a guest pass system, though I suppose you'd have to convince someone to give you theirs or somesuch. Also seem to remember a free trial knocking about but not the foggiest about any details.

Oh, and you'll find us on Trollbane Alliance side :)

Tilda

FuzzyLogic said:
Selling your account is norty mmk ;)

Aye there's a guest pass system, though I suppose you'd have to convince someone to give you theirs or somesuch. Also seem to remember a free trial knocking about but not the foggiest about any details.

Oh, and you'll find us on Trollbane Alliance side :)

Thanks Spinky,
Is the guest pass different to the free trial? It looks like the trial is a 10 day play thing.

FuzzyLogic

I imagine they're largely the same, from the blurb

What is a trial account?

Trial accounts (also known as ‘Guest Passes’) are short term accounts usually for a period of 10 or 14 days, which allow new players to try out the game before deciding whether to purchase a full subscription. A trial account key is included with every full game pack purchased. Occasionally, certain magazines or websites might offer trial accounts as a promotion. As these types of accounts are provided purely as a demonstration of the game, certain features of the game are not available to trial account users. The limitations of a trial account include (but are not limited to):

- Not being able to speak on public channels such as General Chat.
- Not being able to receive in-game mail through the mailbox.
- Not being able to use the Auction House.
- Not able to trade items or gold with other players.
- Maximum character level of Level 20.
- Maximum amount of gold allowed of 10 Gold.

Trial accounts can be upgraded to full accounts through the Account Management page by purchasing a new set of game CDs. Once upgraded, all features of the full game become available. All characters created during the trial phase will be carried over to the full account on completion of the upgrade.

So there's a fair few restrictions but they're mostly for the regular players protection from the evil trialling newbies(tm) and should still give you a look into the game so you can see whether or not it's for you :)

ps, site linky for trial account: http://teaser.wow-europe.com/

Tilda

Tom, drop me a PM.
I'm going to get the trial going, if you want to duo some, without any hardcore grinding or stuff, I might be interested.
I dont have the time to play hardcore anymore, I just want someone who will stay the same level as me so we can level up together having fun.

WiZe^

Can't get enough of FH
And for the love of god dont roll a Paladin.... (biggest lamer class of them all, atleast in PvP -_-)

Midnightangel

Fledgling Freddie
Ive just started playing wow got it for £10 in hmv with a free month subscription, i like it (playing a druid) but dont think il play it as much as i did with daoc. Also bought guild wars to try out but thats still sat on my desk.

FuzzyLogic

It's a good game to dip in and out of, a friend of mine who was so verhemently against any kind of mmo bought this simply because it was a tenner in hmv and because he knows i've played it for roundabout 2 years now (if you include the various betas that is) and still play it now.

He really liked it, to the point that he's taken out a subscription for (ok that might not sound like much but he really hates the idea of paying monthly for games so this is a big thing) and plays it every other day. I just fret the day he reaches 60 :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom