Thinking about a TFT

B

Big G

All

Currently, I have an Iiyama Vision Master Pro 450 19" and i love it to pieces. The only problem: it's beige. The rest of my PC/Hifi/Home Cinema is black, so the CRT is due to be replaced with a black monitor. However, it seems a good time to jump to a black TFT for a few more bob.

I'm an avid gamer (CS, quake3, bit of UT2003) and DVD watcher, so low response times are a must. I've been looking at two flat panels:

Hitachi CML174SXWB 17"

and

Hercules ProphetView 920 Pro 17"

The Hitachi has a 16ms response, the Hercules has a 20ms response. The reviews of the Hercules say it's brilliant for gaming and that they can't really fault it at all for gaming/DVD watching. I'm struggling to find reviews of the Hitachi.

Can anyone recommend one over the other? or have personal experience of either of them?

Any advice welcome

G

C

.Cask

You're gonna spend £300+ for a smaller monitor with a crappier picture just so it won't clash with your other electronic devices? You're nuts :p

Can I have your old one?

B

Big G

Smaller?

Slightly

Crapper picture?

Well, i daresay the geometry is going to be a damn sight better than the CRT and much sharper too. I use an older flat panel at work and I find it much better than using a CRT.

Why not get matching colours if you have the cash. I wanted a black monitor, so I'm going to sell this 19" and use the money to put towards a new one.

And no, you can't have it (unless you have £150 spare).

G

J

jaba

exxie, what are the colours like on it? I read reviews that said if the response time was around 16ms it sacrificed colour depth for speed, this true?

E

exxxie

Colours are a lot better than my two previous CRT monitors, but the thing I still notice most tho is the clarity of image (at 1280 the native rez) and the great brightness with no reflection ever. Applies to all TFT with DVI-D tho I suppose.

X

Xavier

Gypsycurse has been doing a LOT of research into TFT screens lately, and concluded the NEC 1760X was pretty damn good for the money, we're planning to do a roundup soon, 6x17", 6x18" and 6x19"+ so if you need any comparitive stuff, watch this space...

Steve

D

darft_faul

I have the NEC 1760NX, and I would highly recommend it! Got it for around £360 from Dabs.com a few months ago.

Available in Black and 'Ivory' (somewhere between beige and white).

I'm actually still using the analogue cable it came with, which gives a perfectly good picture, and haven't even tried DVI connection yet.

The other good thing was no dead pixels - although is this still really a problem with TFTs?

M

ManDevil

Big G, you might also want to consider the Hyundai Q17, as that uses the same screen as the Hercules 920pro & comes with DVI and a USB hub for a lower price.

S

smurkin

I have the hitachi....its first class...really good...the only problem is, imho, you HAVE to run it in native resolution...so your video card must be able to play games at 1280x1024 (plus BF1942 wont play this resolution :( )

Now the Hercules....I read a really bad review on that one...iirc, they were moaning about the picture....im sorry I cant remember where I read it.

Dell have had really good reviews of their 19 inch gaming monitor over at Anandtech..expensive mind. here.

oh yeah....purty good reviews on the hitachi at anandtech from feb this year. here.

Unfortunately, prices have gone up recently :(

B

Big G

Originally posted by smurkin
your video card must be able to play games at 1280x1024

and:

Dell have had really good reviews of their 19 inch gaming monitor over at Anandtech..expensive mind.

Yeah, i play everything at 1280*1024. Additionally, that Dell looks lovely; although it must be a good ~£500+ which is kinda pricey.

G

M

ManDevil

Originally posted by smurkin
I have the hitachi....its first class...really good...the only problem is, imho, you HAVE to run it in native resolution...so your video card must be able to play games at 1280x1024 (plus BF1942 wont play this resolution :( )

You can make BF1942 run in 1280x1024. Edit the Video.com and Videodefault.con files, change the values to 1280 1024 manually, then make the files read only (right click - properties).

S

smurkin

Originally posted by ManDevil
You can make BF1942 run in 1280x1024. Edit the Video.com and Videodefault.con files, change the values to 1280 1024 manually, then make the files read only (right click - properties).

MD...that is freaking superb...nice tip :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom