There is NO realism...

S

Summo

Dammit, I hate it when reviewers go on about how realistic and how heavily dependant on team tactics RtCW is. It's based on the Quake 3 engine, ffs. It's a simple game you can dip into for a quick blast. Being a Medic or Engineer does not constitute strategy. If you want realism and team play, have a game of Operation Flashpoint.

/ end rant

W

Wij

I'm damn glad too. Realism is for ppl who can't hack grenade-rocket jumping :)

O

old.ZiEgE

You can see where the reviewers are comming from tho, the game is based on the q3 engine but it plays nothing like q3, its a thousand times more playable.
As for tactics well im sure when the full game is released tactics will feature heavily in comptetive and public games, the game itself i think is top notch apart from the gay flamethrowers.
After the bugs and flamethrowers are ironed out of the game then im sure it will be one of the best multiplayer games available.
Lets face it the compition aint what its all cracked up to be, quake3, well it sucks dicks, CS, if u can play this without all the cheats then it might just be a worthy contender, UT gimme a fucking break.

M

Moving Target

its not realistic in the end though is it? you can heal from like 1 health to max :rolleyes:

O

old.ZiEgE

Healing isnt a problem as finding a medic is hard enough then gettin him to pass u loads of health, the only thing i thought was wrong was the flamers, seem there gonna make flamers slow movin like rocket launcher guys, i say get rid of it all together:).

S

Summo

Quite right, MT. Any game that has a health bar is not about realism.

Now OpFlash... one good headshot and you're down. You might not even know who shot you. Leg wound? Then you're crawling, soldier? Minor arm injury? You can't shoot straight any more.

Doesn't play as well online, mind you. :(

M

Moving Target

only coz the netcode is shite and BW havent hosted any dedicated servers :upyours: :p /me runs

M

ManDevil

The single player game looks as though it might be quite good. Personaly l don't mind it not being realistic, there are plenty of mods out there that are if that's what you like. :rolleyes:

R

ReActor

Originally posted by SomeGuy
Quite right, MT. Any game that has a health bar is not about realism.

Now OpFlash... one good headshot and you're down. You might not even know who shot you. Leg wound? Then you're crawling, soldier? Minor arm injury? You can't shoot straight any more.

Doesn't play as well online, mind you. :(

Oh, boy oh boy, that sounds like lots of fun. Do I get to sit out for long periods of time, too? Watching habitual campers slowly shuffle up to each other was my favourite part of CS!

O

old.ignus

hard to camp on an open field, unless you got a tent.

C

caLLous

well, i just came out of a 50 player multi of the final of rtcw and i can say... WOW... it's farking amazing. and yes one good headshot takes you down and blah blah blah. this isn't a war sim. this is a great multi player game. and imo leaving the flame thrower in and making it as heavy as the minigun was a good idea. why take it out? to pamper to the needs of the ppl that can't hack playing with it in the game? gimme a break

O

old.Buzz

RTCW is way better than Quake 3, its not realistic, but it does require a lot of teamplay and a small amount of tactics. Its so very TFC though.

Judging by the MOHAA demo, it is likely that this is going to be more realistic(weapons and movement speed etc), if played with two teams rather than the demos DM.

S

ShockingAlberto

I love TFC, and i'm good at most mods on the HL engine, but whenever i play any Q games, i tend to suck.

Does it really play like Q3, or does it have the slower movingness of HL?

T

throdgrain

imo it is an absolutely awesome game best thing around atm.
yep it uses the q3 engine ,which is very familiar to me,but its nothing like as fast.best i could describe it would be a cross between hl type games and q3.i would recommend it to anyone!

M

Moving Target

Don't spend your money if you're gonna buy it. Buy MoH: Allied Assault instead

T

throdgrain

lol pimping a game thats not even come out yet nice one ;)

M

Moving Target

well the multiplayer rocks RtCW. RtCW feels like Q3 in disguise

T

throdgrain

well...thats what it is in a way innit? prolly why i like it :)

S

ShockingAlberto

I just realised if i got a part time job, i could afford broadband, and some comp upgrades, without giving up my net junkie lifestyle ;)

Deffinately getting it now :)

T

throdgrain

hehe i should have thought that was a bit obvious m8 :)

O

old.[MN]Scooter

Originally posted by SomeGuy
Dammit, I hate it when reviewers go on about how realistic and how heavily dependant on team tactics RtCW is. It's based on the Quake 3 engine, ffs. It's a simple game you can dip into for a quick blast. Being a Medic or Engineer does not constitute strategy. If you want realism and team play, have a game of Operation Flashpoint.

/ end rant

The quakeIII "Engine" refers to the rendering engine, and possibly some parts of the gameplay - but thats it. RTCW uses the graphics engine developed by id for Q3, in much the same way as HL used the Quake graphics engine (abeit heavily enhanced).

I think it's as realistic as I want it to be - theres plenty of other "Solder Sims" out there if thats what floats your boat. Its meant to be a parody of the Third Reich after all (even if it is less so than the original).

I agree with you about the classes - I think it's an attempt to get the short on brain to grasp the concept of a strategy by forcing it on them in terms of "if you give this guy some health - you will be rewarded with some points" rather than relying on the player to come to the conclusion that helping his team mates might actually be a sound plan. In many ways - thats the theme that runs through all of the recent (CS onwards) team games - the game enforces team play. Back in the day of team QW/Q2 you were free to just run about like a lamho FFA player - but the more intelligent teams formed a plan - and stuck to it. A surprising number of players cannot cope with this concept even now. Only the other day some loon was accusing us of "camping" on the submarine map (we were the defending team). Er... right on bud - we'll just run about in the open like idiots for you then yeah?

RTCW MP looks to me like CS with a bigger effects budget. Just wait a while - I can see de_dust being converted and a mod knocked up any week now :)

Scoot.

O

old.D0LLySh33p

Operation Flashpoint... DA BOMB.

RTCW... but the flamethrower don't look half good mamma.

O

old.Sarge

How real do you want it?
It would just get to a point where game players would die in droves, Saving Private Ryan style. The health isn't real, yeah but there is a higher level of realism that Q3 etc etc. I think they managed to get a nice level it really makes teams come together.

And hi all.

T

throdgrain

well i been playing it LOADS lately,and i agree its realistic enough.as far as the team play goes,youre right it not only enforces team play,but encourages it.to start of with i played as a soldier,but recently ive been playing as medic.when u revive someone u get a point,so youre happy and so are they!
as a medic ive been getting some nice scores in the 50's.i wonder why the liutenants dont hand out ammo like they should?thats the next role for me to try i think :)

Users who are viewing this thread