There are 3 Wizards in front.......

M

Madonion Slicer

......... of your group and you have one space left which do you take.

Earth, Ice, Fire

Reason i ask is come 1.62 i will have a chance to respec my lvl42 Earth Wizard if i choose too.

My wizard was orginally Fire spec til lvl35 but back when we had full respec Nov 02 i changed to Earth.

Enjoyed Earth spec doing pygmy groups but now no wants an earth wizard in xp groups.

So do i slog it out with an Earth Wizard and maybe reach 50 by Christmas, respec to Ice and reach 50 a week after 1.62 is released, or go to Fire and solo/group maybe get 50 in a month or so.

Any thoughts? what wizard do you look for when making a group either RVR or XP and why?

With the fixes to bolts will Fire Wizard be the way forward.

Thanks for reading.

M

medowind

well because bolts and alike also become partially block able with a shild thay will do the same damage they always have but possibly get a few more caster kills,

The earth wiz remains the same, gimped on the bolts though,

The ice wiz should get a pet sorc and do what the hibs do all the livelong day,

So prolly the tank :p

H

hercules-df

earth bolt is nice they have no dd tho can get in grps for cc of non casting mobs and the dot is always handy :) go ice if u want an easy ride to 50 tho, :)

S

skile

Hmm, not the expert on Wizzies in general.

But xp = Ice wizard, def.
Rvsr = I'd reckon Fire-wizard, if not in a RvsR-guild. Where u might get good use of the pbaoe :).

F

fii

earth wiz... picture this... emain, the sun is shining the air smells good but the mids are trying to spoil ur day by having 4 zerkers assisting each other on ur grps cleric... look at them all bunched together just gagging for a aoe root, cos they already purged out of mezz and killed ur sorc if u were lucky enuff to have one.

CC makes the opportunities in rvr... only earth wizzs get decent aoe CC so thats wot i'd be, plus theres the usefulness in keep take/defence situations or if there 6 chanters camping the amg :)

As far as bolts/dd's/dot's/whatever being gimped /assist main tank and no1s gonna notice u did 28 points of damage less than the fire wiz stood next to u :)

B

Brynn

Go for ice to get to 50 quicker then rustle up enough people to go on a Dragon raid :p Then get a respec stone and then the choice is what to spec for best effect in rvr :)

E

Edohadien

go.
Earth/ice

good spec around 35/41 somethin

G

Gordonax

Stay earth - gtaoe is essential for taking defended keeps.

X

Xethron

I think ultimatly the choice is yours and how you like to play your character. Wizards have been hurt the most by interrupts + SC and high grp resist buffs in current RvR: as we as a class have given up utility for more raw damage (the reality of this compared to other casters is I think the topic of another thread and the TL reports and not for here).

Here a little description of the specs with +/- from my point of view, if you don’t agree well tough ;-] I wrote this in a hurry over my lunch break to avoid doing more work… I just I hope it will help.

I am pyro-spec’d because I fell in love with the whole fire thing long ago and have not had the hart to re-spec otherwise, besides I like my wiz how he is I tried to maximise utily with my mini-ding points and think I did ok with 19E and 7I. I’ve played an ice-wiz for a few days but having never played an earth wiz points for that spec is just from what I can see on paper / extrapolated from own knowledge

Fire: 50F 19E 7I

Tools:
Primary
spec bolt / base bolt
spec DD
AoE DD
single base root
base damage adder (variable)

Secondary
L18 gtAoE
L7pbAoE
27s AoE root,
low level dot
low level AoE dd/snare
low level damage shield

+ Good ranged damage / spec DD
+ bolts, AoE nuke and low level gtAoE good for standoffs and keep sieges
+ gtAoE and pbAoE can be very useful if mastered to uncover inc stealthers on open ground too

- have to spec to 50 to complete spec line
- Heat debuff is on Sorcerer body line: few people spec this way so likelihood of cutting away those hard resists is low, 46mind 28body sorcs will have 15% and 40body 34mind will have 30% - I only know of 1 sorcerer who’s 50body20mind so the wizard has to dream of 50% debuffs
- fire DD effects are huge and may draw attention to you
- little CC utility other than single base line root and low level AoE root will not last long (if it holds) with high resists
- low level dot often resisted + low damage
- low AoE dd/snare often resisted + slow 4s cast time
- no insta debuffs or shouts to interrupt

Ice: 50I 20E or 48I 24E 6F
Tools:
Primary
pbAoE,
spec DD/snare,
AoE DD (w/ 5% cold debuff),
base ice DD
base bolt (fire/variable)
single base root
base damage adder (variable)

Secondary
L18 gtAoE
mid level earth bolt
mid level AoE DD/snare
mid level dot
low level damage shield

+ pbAoE / high damage in slam group or in keep sieges
+ w/ cleaver use of AoE can debuff 5% cold before attacks
+ ranged high damage DD snare – good for attacking inc tanks as they are slowed while running to you
+ bolts (though variable in damage), AoE nuke and low level gtAoE good for standoffs and keep sieges

- cold debuffs in sorcerer body line (see above)
- lower ranged damage output
- ranged AoE DD uses 5% mana pool each cast – quickly mounts up
- only Britons or Avalonians can be wizards – bigger target than pbAoE luri-bombs
- AoE DD/snare slow cast time /4s before dex & MoA (c.f. RM suppression equivalent is 3s before dex and MoA)
- little CC utility other than single base line root and low level AoE root will not last long (if it holds) with high resists

Earth: 48 Earth/23 Fire/9 Ice or 48 Earth/24 Ice/6 Fire
Tools:
Primary
spec bolt, base bolt (fire / variable),
spec dot,
AoE DD/snare,
gtAoE,
spec AoE root,
single base root,
base damage adder
spec damage shield

Secondary
Less variance on base fire DDs and base fire bolt, L7 pbAoE or
less variance on base ice nuke and mid level pbAoE and mid AoE dd with 5% cold debuff

+ gtAoE for keep sieges
+ spec AoE root to aid CC from grp purge
+ better damage adder than pyro or liqui wizards
+ spec damage shield
+ low level pbAoE to uncover stealthers

- <<<no single target spec DD>>> you have to rely on power hungry and moderately variable damage base DDs
- matter/heat or cold debuffs in sorc body line (see above)
- AoE DD/snare slow cast time see above
- no base dot like cabby to stack on spec dot (lower DPS)
- (if using fire base spells) fire DD effects are huge and may draw attention to you

--> Whatever way you spec make sure that you have the L18 gtAoE spell or better it’s usefulness in keep sieges makes it a worthy investment

M

Madonion Slicer

Great post Xethron.

By the looks of things i will be speccing ICE as it is pretty impossible to get a group as an Earth Wiz, and i sure as hell cant solo to 50.

Enjoyed FIRE spec from lvl5 - 35, only really changed to Earth after all the love the spec line got back last November, but again FIRE Wiz is always passed by when an ICE Wizard is in the room.

Guess i will spec ICE for the Xping to 50 then try to get my hands on a single line respec stone for SIDI or Dragon come the next patch.

Cheers for the comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom