Theological problem

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
No people kill, the Romans just stopped our generation killing aliens.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
But why do people kill?

Ah! There's a handy book that, if you follow it's teachings, you'll oppress pretty much everything: art, music, freedom of expression, freedom of sexuality and, quite perversely, freedom of religion.

Once people start believing in an illusory 'higher purpose' then killing 'evil' men becomes simply a matter of semantics over the definition of evil.

History shows us this. And not vaguely, it's pretty much the predominant thread through the ages...

rynnor

Rockhound
err would communism and nazism now be classed as religion?

Well Hitler was raised as a Catholic and was never kicked out so must be regarded as one throughout his life - where do you think his anti-semitic ideas came from?

Communism is better - its true that not every massacre was caused by religion but that it is implicated in a lot.

Colonialism was partly fueled by the wish to bring Christianity to the godless heathens etc. Oh and werent the Mongols Budhists.

Lets not forget the hundreds of years of war as Islam and Christianity clashed (and Islam and just about every other Religion as they pushed out into central europe and asia).

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Another chart, possibly the most interesting one so far:

2d81e05.jpg

Thread evolution - Chet wins.

old.Osy

You're just bitter cos i graded you low :p

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
I'm more curious why you didn't grade yourself the highest! :D

old.Osy

It would have been too obvious, clearly. Being second best is better than second to last.

Oops, did I say that out loud? :D

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
But why do people kill?

Ah! There's a handy book that, if you follow it's teachings, you'll oppress pretty much everything: art, music, freedom of expression, freedom of sexuality and, quite perversely, freedom of religion.

Once people start believing in an illusory 'higher purpose' then killing 'evil' men becomes simply a matter of semantics over the definition of evil.

History shows us this. And not vaguely, it's pretty much the predominant thread through the ages...

That handy book is the excuse, not the reason.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
And if they didn't have that religious book, they would find an another excuse.

Also if someone twists religion to meet their own ends, or provide reason for their actions, then how is the religion to blame?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Also if someone twists religion to meet their own ends, or provide reason for their actions, then how is the religion to blame?

I've seen that a lot. On the one hand I can see that it might not be fair to blame religion for the atrocities carried out in its name. However, if that's the case, is it fair to praise religion for the good works carried out in its name?

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Surely if religious texts bother you you should just send STOP to 85546?

Or am I missing something?

mr.Blacky

Can't get enough of FH
Well Hitler was raised as a Catholic and was never kicked out so must be regarded as one throughout his life - where do you think his anti-semitic ideas came from?

Communism is better - its true that not every massacre was caused by religion but that it is implicated in a lot.

Colonialism was partly fueled by the wish to bring Christianity to the godless heathens etc. Oh and werent the Mongols Budhists.

Lets not forget the hundreds of years of war as Islam and Christianity clashed (and Islam and just about every other Religion as they pushed out into central europe and asia).

hmm maybe you should look into stuff before you type nonsense. :p
The best answer might be: Regardless of what Hitler published, his actions put himself outside the Church, in a similar manner to the way an outspoken atheist would not really be an atheist if at the same time he regularly attended church, studied the Bible, and prayed the rosary.

Not my answer but still, as for anything else, he used religion like he used anti-semitism. The worst thing is that people fell for as some still do. I rather have a devout christiam, muslim, budhist or whatever next to me then any nazi.

No real answer for the comunists? except for religion is implicated. Well to me implication is not enough (crappy English I think? :( ) As religion is slowly declining world wide it will mean that other killings, where religion is not implicated, will rise. What is the turning point for you? When will religion no longer be the cause but rather an excuse for killing people according to you? is is absolutes or percentages? I think I am rather more closer to the truth in saying that religion is and was just an excuse to grab power or money.

As for your other points sorry cant be bothered at the moment.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Regardless of what Hitler published, his actions put himself outside the Church

That's fucking convenient.

Edit: As for communism being a religion. Aside from the laughable irony that commies didn't practice freedom of religion, if you're going to put economic systems alongside religion then capitalism fits the bill just as nicely.

rynnor

Rockhound
hmm maybe you should look into stuff before you type nonsense. :p

Not a good start - you must be a believer.

The best answer might be: Regardless of what Hitler published, his actions put himself outside the Church, in a similar manner to the way an outspoken atheist would not really be an atheist if at the same time he regularly attended church, studied the Bible, and prayed the rosary.

I think your missing the point that the western european tradition of anti-sematism comes from christianity - thats why Hitler would have been brought up to regard them badly thanks to his religion.

If I were to push the point one might wonder why the Catholic Church was so quiet when it knew the jews were being persecuted - hell they never even excommunicated Hitler so he was still one of them regardless of his actions - is it because they still held a grudge over Christs death?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom