Part of the furniture
:)

Attachments

• DSC_0054.JPG
    DSC_0054.JPG
    989.2 KB · Views: 51

Chilly

Balls of steel
worst thing to happen to my life by quite some margin. MMO's are the meth of the gaming world. Totally, utterly, shit.

Jeros

Part of the furniture
worst thing to happen to my life by quite some margin. MMO's are the meth of the gaming world. Totally, utterly, shit.

Had it not been for DAOC, I would still be in Australia now, married most probs.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Daoc was a great game tbh, it's not the games fault people have addictive tendancies and unlike more modern mmo's daoc didn't play on those addictions

gohan

FH is my second home
I Loved DAoC, didn't really get addicted as such just played as I had nothing else to do. Fortunately I don't have an addictive personality so I can just pick things up and put them down anytime. Unfortunately that also includes people, I just don't get attached to anything or anyone really.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Played it to death, but I was single in my own flat and it got played on boring weekdays and after nights out, so didn't cause any problems, maybe stopped me going out a few times nearing a level, but dinging 40 is probably as good as night out on the piss when you're doing it three times a week.

eksdee

FH is my second home
Blaming video games for being 'too adictive' is indicative only of a person's own lack of self-control. I played MMOs to death for years, and at the top end of whatever 'competition' there was to be had in each one, but it never stopped me having a social life or achieving my own personal goals. During the time I was playing MMOs I completed my GCSEs, A-levels and my degree. I now have a good job, live with my partner of seven years and still play video games a lot. Admittedly not MMOs and not as much as when I was younger, but that's more because gaming in general is at a low point than anything else.

Essentially, imo, if you got addicted to MMOs and you're blaming that for 'missing out' or generally not achieving the things you might have hoped for during that time you probably would have found something else to fill your time were it not MMOs and the outcome would have been more or less exactly the same.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I play plenty of MMOs, I have had at least one on the go for close to 15 years.

10th wedding anniversary in a weeks time. Decent job, happy enough.

MMOs don't kill people, people kill people.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
DAoC raped the Q3 community, I'll never forgive it for that. Lost so many good players to such a shit faggotry game.

Jeros

Part of the furniture
So all in all a good thing?

Half ;)

Turns out getting back to Australia may not be as hard as I thought, I could just finish my techie quals and get MS certified and go over as a network systems admin.

Rather be a programmer though....that said the sooner I get over the better, every 5 years you age it gets harder to get into the country.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Loved it when it first came out. A mate of mine convinced me to buy it. I remember playing it till 4am in the first week. We went down to Avalon Marsh and cos we were only single digit levels, we got pwnd by the mobs there. Remember seeing my first level 50 and it was like "whoa! awesome". It was great until SI came out, then it lost some of its appeal, and ToA killed it. Don't miss it at all now.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
When can we turn this into a General vs Daoc'ers thread? Or aren't we doing that anymore? :p

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
DAoC raped the Q3 community, I'll never forgive it for that. Lost so many good players to such a shit faggotry game.

For me, it was Asheron's Call that raped CS beta 6.

I nearly flunked uni so badly because I would play beta 6 until 5am most mornings. I'd sleep all day, skip uni, go out and get pissed then come home and eat chocolate and play CS with my 'online friends'.

The best and worst times of my life, I was such a dick.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
The ex got me into DAoC. Always been a gamer but never played anything online up to that point. Had a decent computer with the still awesome GeForce MX440 and she bought the game for it. I then played more than she did. I miss playing it sometimes, RVR was fun if you got a decent group. Remember some good times on Teamspeak with a random lot.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Always avoided MMOs; just seemed like such a blatant time-suck that I didn't even want to get started on one. Plus elves and wizards and all that shit.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Always avoided MMOs; just seemed like such a blatant time-suck that I didn't even want to get started on one. Plus elves and wizards and all that shit.

I never look at what i'm playing, i look at if i'm enjoying it. Be it minecraft, MMOs, racing games, redheadbalooza 3000 wankathon, anything really. If i'm enjoying my time spent playing the game, then it's equal to any other game i'd enjoy playing.

As such, MMOs have the best value for money ratio due to the huge amount of time spent in them.

opticle

Part of the furniture
I never look at what i'm playing, i look at if i'm enjoying it.

I'm sure there's potential for editing this somehow.

I've never been sure about MMOs because that's the kind of game I would want to play with friends - but I know I could never get enough friends together to do it, and all my old clans, etc. etc. seem to have moved on. Plus I don't have the time to invest - and I *hate* the idea of getting behind, that someone's already 'been there, done that' or the idea of not being able to be as good as someone else in the game not because of a lack of skill, but due to an inability to put in an insane number of hours like them.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
...or the idea of not being able to be as good as someone else in the game not because of a lack of skill, but due to an inability to put in an insane number of hours like them.

That's an indictment of multi-player gaming in general though. I haven't played BF3 for months because I've been dealing with baby stuff since Christmas, and chances are that even when I do get a bit more free time I won't go back to it because too much time has passed and I don't particularly relish going up against the whole online community that's already up to level 1 million or something. Its one of the problems of modern gaming that most games have added in some MMO-like elements, usually in the hope of flogging DLC, but actually making the game less attractive for newbies. And things like level caps on servers never work either.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I think these days they are anything but time consuming, certainly nothing like they used to be. Whether that is a good thing or not is debatable. I still play WoW for 8 hours or so a week, sometimes a bit more sometimes a bit less and I raid the top tier of content. With the new expansion coming soon I will probably play it quite a lot over the next few months then cut back again, I can't be arsed with 2nd or 3rd characters any more.

I actually find if I have a decent online FPS or single player game on the go I play that far more than any MMO.

I admit there was a time where I played far too much DAOC but I realised that at the time and cut it back.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I dunno, if it is done right it's excellent. Deus Ex for example

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
In multiplayer it works if leveling brings lateral progress, not if it brings power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom