The terrible state of the lag and general condition of the servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellsvip

Fledgling Freddie
Yet again i am seeing fantastic messages about how laggy it is currently from multiple people, and its bad for me.

Now as i expect Requiel will be required to come in with the complimentry servers are fine.

But to look at it from a buisness point of view is that even an acceptable practice to tell your customers its not our problem our servers are fine we do not really care about the service we provide as long as we can maintain servers and not support any of our buisness or even care enough to provide us with details// show us where the problem is.

I find this appauling behaviour and i am surprised as a buisness this even carries on so the question i am asking is.

When is GoA going to care about its customers enough to provide us the reasons as to why the servers are becoming so unstable without brushing it under the carpet as its not our fault. If it is not and it is your provider then why are there not any signs of any dealing to fix the obviously failing service of the providers its unacceptable service.

And as i can fully well guess this thread acheives nothing but damn i did need a good rant about how crappy the state of these servers are. :drink:

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Tracing route to 193.252.123.177 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 1 ms 1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 16 ms 15 ms 16 ms lo0-plusnet.ptn-ag2.plus.net []
3 15 ms 16 ms 15 ms ge1-0-0-902.ptn-gw2.plus.net []
4 16 ms 15 ms 15 ms ge-4-1.metro1-londencyh00.London1.Level3.net [21
2.113.11.33]
5 16 ms 15 ms 15 ms so-1-2-0.gar1.London1.Level3.net [212.113.0.114]

6 15 ms 16 ms 16 ms ge-1-0.core2.London1.Level3.net [212.187.131.14]

7 15 ms 15 ms 16 ms P9-1.LONCR3.London.opentransit.net [193.251.240.
217]
8 23 ms 25 ms 24 ms P7-0.PASCR3.Pastourelle.opentransit.net [193.251
.242.17]
9 23 ms 23 ms 23 ms P9-0.PASCR1.Pastourelle.opentransit.net [193.251
.129.61]
10 26 ms 23 ms 24 ms WanadooPortails.GW.opentransit.net [193.251.251.
54]
11 26 ms 26 ms 24 ms 193.252.122.14
12 26 ms 27 ms 35 ms 193.252.123.177

Trace complete.

But long delays on chat/actions also

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Yes, really bad lagspikes last two nights yet again. I really thought we'd left all this shit behind us.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Ok. I'll explain it again.

The internet is made up of many parts. Data travelling between your computer and our server will go through many different pieces of kit owned by a variety of companies - your ISP, our hosts and a variety of intermediary companies operating big international hubs depending on where you are connecting from and the route that they want to send you through. If any of these pieces of kit aren't routing optimally then you will get lag. If one of the pieces of kit close to our network isn't routing optimally then nearly everyone will get lag. Think of it like road junctions. If there is a traffic jam at the end of your street, then everyone who tries to get to you will be delayed even if they are all coming from very different areas. It is entirely possible for a lot of people to be suffering from lag with it being nothing whatsoever to do with the state of our servers or network.

The servers are currently extremely stable. There was obviously an outage earlier today but it was a one off failure and was fixed within a few minutes. That apart, there are no issues causing lag or instability on the servers. As to what we can do about it, the honest answer is not much. If it's a problem with our kit we can diagnose and fix it ourselves (as happened this afternoon). If it's a problem with someone elses kit, we probably won't even know about it (we aren't the internet, we do not monitor every hub in Europe). When people complain about lag we ask them to send us pingplotter graphs so that we can see where it's coming from. Once we've identified where it's coming from we tell the company that owns the equipment which is at fault about the problem and then we have to wait for them to find the problem and fix it. Often it isn't a single piece, routing gets changed over the course of a few hours to cope with varying demand and thus lag can come and go as different route combinations may or may not cause a problem. In this case it's down to the various infrastructure companies to work it out between themselves.

There is no way we can tell you about problems outside our network until we get reports sent to us with evidence. We can't possibly know about it ourselves otherwise.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
i think people are quick to blame any lag they get on Goa after the months of hell we had to endure, the lag now isnt that bad (for me anyway) my bars will go red maybe once an hour, only for a few seconds mind. There are loads of factors that could cause the lag, your modem, your isp, Goa's isp, goa's servers etc etc.

If lag really is that much of a problem, run a tracer while playing, if it shows the lag is always at goa's end, right now it to them so they have something to go on.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
and before you complain about daoc's lag, you shoudl try something like SWG, its perma there.

censi

Can't get enough of FH
I deal with ISP's all the time at work when theres connectivity issues to systems my company provides accross t'internet. We provide electronic financial services that large companies pay thousands of pounds a month to use. I have the same problem for the most part our servers work fine but t'internet is inconsistent.

Trying to get ISP's to look at connectivity problems is a major pain in the ass trust me. lots of time the ISP in fact is just escalating to the local PTT who provide the physical comms, they are even worse than ISP's.

Dont random flame GOA. They do all they can which is escalate consistent problems to the ISP. This is all about t'internet suxing.

Otho

One of Freddy's beloved
Requiel said:
Ok. I'll explain it again.

The servers are currently extremely stable.... That apart, there are no issues causing lag or instability on the servers.

Thats a load of bullshit, how come that the ML4 hunt on Mid/Pryd had massive LD´s a few time last night. The performance indicators showed green but everything froze and people got kicked out of the game. You can argue all what you want about that it is not your fault and blaming the ISP´s of the customers BUT I had 2 clients running, one on main PC and one on my laptop. The client in LoA went down but the one in Stygia survived. If a hunt with over 60 people repeatedly have massive LD with no performance indicators showing red, is it not a problem on YOUR part? Extremely stable, yea right.

/Otho

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Raven said:
i think people are quick to blame any lag they get on Goa after the months of hell we had to endure, the lag now isnt that bad (for me anyway) my bars will go red maybe once an hour, only for a few seconds mind. There are loads of factors that could cause the lag, your modem, your isp, Goa's isp, goa's servers etc etc.

If lag really is that much of a problem, run a tracer while playing, if it shows the lag is always at goa's end, right now it to them so they have something to go on.
Notice the plot i posted above, there are NO spikes on any of the hops yet in game we were geting 8-10 second freezes.
As i wasnt the only one getting them suffice ot say it is not connection/client oriented. Read before you post drivvel

Genedril

Part of the furniture
Chronictank said:
Notice the plot i posted above, there are NO spikes on any of the hops yet in game we were geting 8-10 second freezes.
As i wasnt the only one getting them suffice ot say it is not connection/client oriented. Read before you post drivvel

Tracert means nothing. You need a consistent plot over a period of time (I tend to do 1 hour intervals - but then that's me).

9 times out of 10 it's OpenTransit's fantastic network causing me issues. .8 out of 10 it's BlueYonder (my ISP). .2 it's actually happening when it get's to GOA.

GOA cannot use any other backbone than OpenTransit & OT are resistant to any complaints from anyone not directly in business with them (they must all be provided with flame retardant suits).

Other than have GOA rip up all of France's backbone & re-lay it themselves I'm not sure what you expect them to do other than take your pingplots & give them to OT (which they do - hence the fact they ask for them repeatedly). Pingplot gives statistics over a given period of time including avg hop & packet loss - hence GOA want you to use it to report to them so they can give times, dates & info to OT to get them to improve. By the by 90% of backbones are set up to provide constant, yet not high speed, internet access which online games can have issues with.

I don't work for GOA, but I'm sure by now Req is getting a bit peeved at saying the same thing time after time after time. Makes me remember why I gave up teaching tbh.

Elendar

One of Freddy's beloved
Otho said:
Thats a load of bullshit, how come that the ML4 hunt on Mid/Pryd had massive LD´s a few time last night. The performance indicators showed green but everything froze and people got kicked out of the game. You can argue all what you want about that it is not your fault and blaming the ISP´s of the customers BUT I had 2 clients running, one on main PC and one on my laptop. The client in LoA went down but the one in Stygia survived. If a hunt with over 60 people repeatedly have massive LD with no performance indicators showing red, is it not a problem on YOUR part? Extremely stable, yea right.

/Otho

intersting indeed ^^

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
read the sticky thread about Lag, or one of the 1000000000000 other threads on the same topic.

Come back with some traceroutes, then you can post something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom