The Terminator Trilogy

Drav

Loyal Freddie
Posted this on the DT guild forums, just wondering if anyone on here had any revealing ideas....bloody annoying movies, no total recall by any means but still annoying non-the-less.

Drav said:
Ok ok ok something I was thinking about while watching Terminator one and two last night after buying the Terminator Trilogy on DVD for some light entertainment. This might seem a tad annoying but watching the film in sequance throws up some annoying questions.

Right in Terminator 1 (T1 from now on) the original Arnie terminator goes back in time, to kill Sarah Connor, mother of the leader of all human resistance to the machines (and terminators), John Connor.

John in the future sends back 1 soldier named Kyle Reese, to stop the terminator so that John Connor can actually come to existence. The terminator gets crushed in a hydraulic press and Sarah Connor survives, and has her son, with Kyle Reese as the Father....

Now how can future John Connor (pre-time jumping Kyle Reese) actually exist? He has no father at that point because the events of T1 havent actually occurred in the past. Plus if he does know about the events from T1 presumably from his mother telling him, just the fact that he knows such information means he shouldnt have to do anything in that future because he already has memories of such events.

John sent Kyle back with a message for Sarah, something to the words of "The Future is not set", yet the future John is actually in seems extremely set, if it wasnt inevitable the way things went down then chances are he wouldnt exist or would have a different father.

Bare with me here it gets worse.

Now in Terminator 2 : Judgement day (T2), it basically outlines that Cyberdine; the company who are responsible for super computer Skynet and the Terminator robots, developed that technology through studying the remains (the microchip and the arm) of the previous Terminator which Sarah Connor destroyed (aka the T101 from the first film).

If that is the case then, how can the terminator cyborgs actually exist in Kyle Reeses future when in that original past, presumably before John sent Kyle back, John wouldnt have remembered such an event taking place, because it wouldnt have.

Its obvious from the first film they had terminators before the first time machine thingamibobba sent anything back.

So the films message is basically terminators are inevitable and John Connors War Leader future can not be stopped by any means possible, but that totally negates the idea of human choice and conscience. Plus surely the machines wouldnt waste terminators with that stuff being inevitable.

Like if you've seen T3 it basically shows you how the entire events of Terminator 2 were a pointless waste of time.

Hope folks have been able to follow this, but its obviously a total paradox, and I dont think you can use the tangent universe argument in this kindve thing, but if anyone can tell me anything that'll make me get how its not a paradox please feel free

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom