The State of the Realm

O

old.Second

Re: To: Second

Originally posted by Belomar
Second, it is very easy to shrug off this problem by the mantra that "it is only a game", but witness the amount of /played time invested in the characters of the players here and you will quickly see why this argument does not hold. How could this be "just a game"? It has all the components of "normal" human activities, such as drama, intrigue, grief, joy, war, and so on. Most importantly, it concerns REAL human beings. Or, to quote the Laws of Online World Design:I do understand what you mean, however, and that is that some people are taking this "game" far too seriously. I don't think I do (I do take it seriously, though), but this is not for me to decide. :)

(Edited for an uncompleted sentence.)

well its still a fact for me=) For me its a GAME, i dont get depressed if we loose a relic or a keep, or someone kills me. I dont suicide in real life if my char gets gimped.
Sure you get "friends" and spend alot of time in the GAME, but when you log of your still same old you, not a fire wizard or a swordswinging armsman, and you dont run faster if you baning on a drum.

I think the word is entertainment =)
And when i read in the paper that some dude has died infront of the computer or something then its both sad and pathetic=)

If you dont got enough willpower to quit playing when the game gets to you then you need help, not go on a forum complaining that your character suck and/or your the Uber ganker of the game.

And i realy talk to much here hehe. Only reason why i talk in the forum is because i'm at work, not because i want to flame anyone or whine:p

R

Radghast

second we all know this is a game, this discussion is focused on makeing this a more enjoyable game imo.

atm RvR is just ZvZ (zerg vs zerg) anything we can do to stop this will result in the fun levels increasing for all, thus makeing more people play hence more fun and so on.

i might be wrong about this whole thing, there are some players who love RvR the way it is and wouldnt change it for the world. but i know it drives me crazy (self righteous whine inc) when i yell at mmg to NOT charge mtk. and yet 5 mins l8r mmg is swarming with mids and albs are all napping at TK. point is nobody listens to common sense atm, but they do seem to listen to "leaders" i know i would appreciate a commander in emain someone who could bring a little order to chaos

ill post a link to related thread where some of these points were addressed.

http://forums.barrysworld.com/showthread.php?threadid=28925

Radghast - lvl 50 wizard

officer of Equilibrium

"if a battle cant be won, don't fight it" <sun tzu>

O

old.Second

Basics:
the game dont become anymore fun than you want it to be=)

what you can do:
Do what you think is fun

What you should not do:
dont be a sheep and follow the heard. And dont give me the but everyone else does it so i have to shit:p

if people stop hanging around the amg in emain and go to amg in odins or maby hadrian then maby others will follow. But there will allways be a place where people will gather.

H

Herjylf

But.. but.. then again.
Ya are kinda wussy.

B

BadJelly

Nervous twitch

I've just read all of this and as some of the earlier comments relate to sorcs (which is what I am) I thought I could add my 2p worth.

RvR for me is getting more fun I must admit although at 38.5 I am still somewhat shy of the level 40 that's mentioned in this thread.

Quite how useful I can be at present in RvR is questionable. The nervous tick that I seem to have developed outside of the comfort of Albion is hardly surprising given the regularity by which higher level Mids or Hibs seem to view me as a "free-lunch" of realm points. The one thing I would like to see in organised RvR is protection for the caster types like me so that we can actually be alive for long enough to be useful. I'm fairly well spec'd in mind (37) at present and am getting more and successful mezz and DD hits in but just die too quick to use them in volume.

I'm looking forward to getting into the 40's and starting to rack up the RP's but am sort of resigned at present to regular deaths being a feature of my RvR life.

This is analogous to other multiplayer games. I played Tribes extensively (and then Tribes 2) and have done the glory-lacking protection roles (flag or base defence etc) which when done well benefit the team far more than 1 extra body going for glory on a flag raid. Ok so Tribes 1 only ever had 8 ppl on each team which makes the coordination a tad easier but the principles are the same.

For me this is more what the whole tactics thing is about, knowing what you personally should be doing that best benefits the team rather than yourself and then sticking to it even when under pressure. I look forward to RvR where the awareness of tactics mean that a rout isn't the inevitable outcome at the first sign of things not going exactly as planned.

Do we have the group leaders in a higher-level chatgroup(s) when multiple groups are involved in large-scale RvR? No idea if this is already happening or is unmanageable - pray tell experienced ppl?

Anyway, back to work, see some of you out and about.

BJ

P.S Top marks for the barefaced cheek of whichever kobold (or other equally annoying vertically challenged individual) took me out whilst I was crafting in Crauchon the other day. Killed by guards within secords but made me smile nonetheless.

BadJelly

L

lamus Yuatja

I've been reading these forums for a few months now and every now and then the idea of one albion leader pops up, It wont work!
New people come to this game and who know who the "King" is.
Most people would not of met the man/woman and not listen to the orders, I for one willnot take orders from anyone till they urn my respect, I'd have a respect from the start but not enough to follow them to my death in RvR.
One leader cannot look after the RvR situations, my advice is more co-ordanation between the major alliance leaders, this way like a exp group you can set who does what and when etc....
This way everyone can be flexible and work with eachother instead of getting everyone to take orders from one dude who propply doesnt deserve the spot.
No matter who you pick someone will always dissagree.

O

old.Second

Originally posted by lamus Yuatja
I've been reading these forums for a few months now and every now and then the idea of one albion leader pops up, It wont work!
New people come to this game and who know who the "King" is.
Most people would not of met the man/woman and not listen to the orders, I for one willnot take orders from anyone till they urn my respect, I'd have a respect from the start but not enough to follow them to my death in RvR.
One leader cannot look after the RvR situations, my advice is more co-ordanation between the major alliance leaders, this way like a exp group you can set who does what and when etc....
This way everyone can be flexible and work with eachother instead of getting everyone to take orders from one dude who propply doesnt deserve the spot.
No matter who you pick someone will always dissagree.

Erm most newcomest to the game start at lvl 1... and not much real rvr for him for another 40 lvls=)
And by the time he's lvl 40 then he should atleast be in a guild, and even know who the leader is.

F

Flimgoblin

Re: Nervous twitch

Originally posted by BadJelly

This is analogous to other multiplayer games. I played Tribes extensively (and then Tribes 2) and have done the glory-lacking protection roles (flag or base defence etc) which when done well benefit the team far more than 1 extra body going for glory on a flag raid. Ok so Tribes 1 only ever had 8 ppl on each team which makes the coordination a tad easier but the principles are the same.

Woot! badjelly lives! :) not seen you since I was crafting back at lvl 21 :p :)

Being a HoF 99% of the time when I play Tribes 2 I sympathise...

Might have to start playing 'caster protection' in RvR :)
Unfortunately, unless you have shield 42 you can't stop an incoming tank... no matter how much damage you deal out - unlike mobs you can't turn thier attention on you :(

I

iselin

Forming a big seemingly 'co-operative' organisation in a MMORPG is easy. Providing no discipline, minumal level of shared game knowledge and commitment is required whatsoever. Just look at some of the larger guilds formed in games like UO, EQ and now DAoC. All they did was open the flood gates, allowed everyone and anyone to join to make themselves the biggest and then vehemently defend their members no matter what they might have done wrong to anyone not in their guild. Seen this a thousands times. This extends to large alliances also which really are just a bigger guild but with joint leaders ....

In terms of activities that these 'alliances' are set up for, things like epic hunts or player run quests and so on can work fine because the opponent is just AI or scripted events and it merely requires a tactic (once discovered) to be repeated over and over or just sheer bloody mindedness and force of numbers to succeed. For things like this, it is easy to run a huge alliance.

What makes it so difficult is the RvR. I shall bang my thoughts into bullet points for easier reading...

1) People often assume that the other player possesses the same game knowledge or information as they do and then bitch, complain, belittle (calling people n00bs) afterwards because it turns out they did not know. Now this can be something as simple as the jargon used in RvR. When people scream 'To DC !' - how many times have we seen people split up and run to Dunn Crimm, Dunn Crauchon etc.

So what is required is clear and consise instructions that cannot be misinterpreted. The example I gave is a simple one but I have witnessed total Alb wipeouts just because people went to the wrong 'DC'.

2) "'Hibs' behind us" or "'Hibs' to the left" being yelled out is USELESS information. Left, Right, Behind etc are relative to the person at the point of incident. In order for everyone to be able to pinpoint the location of said incident you need a position and a direction. Landmark and direction works best since many people still struggle with navigating with the LOC system.

3) When the alb army gets overly big it in fact decreases it's effectiveness. In my opinion, there have been many occassions where I believe a battle could have been fought and won with half the numbers actually present. A large uncontrolled and undisciplined army can cause more damage to itself than to the enemy.

However the problem with tasks that require a large army is that many small jobs need to be done and often it requires people being away from the action, the glory as it were... Not many people are going to be willing to sit in a group, hiding, holding a position in case of enemy flanking attacks etc for a few hours. Who would want to do that ? (Of course some wont mind but generally, as many have mentioned, it's a game and people want to have fun...)

4) I think a clear distinction should be made between the 'RP-whore' player and the semi Roleplayer (not someone that thee's and thou's, people that think just by saying thee's and thou's is roleplaying need their tiny minds examined) - ie who is interested in the overall state of the realm, the status of our keeps, how we are doing in planning to capture enemy relics and so on. There is no point constantly asking for the Former type of players to help with Realm duties, it will just cause you more and more frustration. Just leave them to it, it's their game too, just dont waste time on them.

5) Tactics do not need to be complicated. In fact they should not be to begin with. Pretend that as an army (you have to work based on the lowest denominator) - it can only remember 3 things at a time... then for a while you just keep reminding the army the same 3 things until they have gotten so sick of hearing it they are saying it themselves before the leaders do... and by then it should become second nature, then you introduce 3 more things and so on and so on and then up to complex formations, ambushes etc. As I said in point 1 - we make far too many presumptions on the experience other players have...

I can already imagine the flaming that would erupt from my suggesting the above. Am I saying treat the army like idiots ? To put it bluntly yes. The Alb army as an entity (and this is not about the individuals within it) at the moment is no better than a bunch of primary school children playing British Bulldog on a playing field. Once people are in big groups, mob mentality takes over and the overall intelligence of it drops. You give a mob complicated instructions and all you will get is either dozens of questions bugging you hence stopping you from doing your other tasks or a totally bungled job. This occurs in everthing - this is not calling anyone an idiot, these are facts, happens in life, riots, football matches, war, games.... etc

A successful army is not going to happen overnight just because you have 300 people all on the same list and have a leader that people some how all agree to follow. Even with great strategies it will just keep going wrong because the army is not 'trained'. And what will happen ? After the 1st few defeats, the leader gets crucified and you're back to square one, all work undone, all things learnt unlearnt.

O

old.FIN

Finglish

Well i aint English, and in middle of heat its damn hard to ype something right =)

And as u have seen most of the peeps here KNOW what to do, Belomars posts r great, Khalens r great, and others also, we just need to do like that =)

f.ex in keep takes people spam all the tiem, DONT GO TO LORD asap, and what happens?? some dudes rush to lords asap and boom boom, game over, every single time same....

And about my words that u dont get any sense, well , cant help it ....just been used to use voice by ip communication, and my fingers r allrdy on blood after few hour gaming=)

we just need FEW key words, in different situations, nothing else, because all allrdy know what to do...BUT albs has 1 thing, they forget every 10 secs all what they have learned =)

O

old.Ebeneezer

Originally posted by Radghast

atm RvR is just ZvZ (zerg vs zerg) anything we can do to stop this will result in the fun levels increasing for all, thus makeing more people play hence more fun and so on.

You'll find a smallish group of Cutting Edge in the Pennines/Forest Sauvage almost every day. Get a party out and let's play cat and mouse. Much more fun than emain, and a damn sight more rewarding on the RP front if you win.

Granted you may not want to hunt in case we're not there. In that case get people to report the death messages they see in Sauvage Keep/Camelot Hills. Then come get us.

Note to Krane: this is not a taunt, merely an offer to widen every Albs RvR experiance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom