The state of the game and Free shard servers

Javlar

Fledgling Freddie
Well.

The thing is this:

Classic DAOC = Great game with some flaws.
SI DAOC = Best game i ever played.
TOA DAOC = Second best.
NF DAOC = Lands somewhere in the middle, the kind of game you play for a couple of days/weeks then look for something better.

The sum up. (this is not really relevant, just something to better state my case, if you dont feel like reading it skip down)

Classic daoc was a great game but in todays view it lacked graphics and was still kind of buggy. SI added better graphics, new classes, races and in the later patches it took care of most of the bugs as well as introduce alchemy and spellcraft (or was that before SI?) which allowed you to pretty much make a capped template for most classes at a reasonable price. TOA introduced slightly better graphics, ML's and new items including artifacts. TOA is an expansion that pretty much forces the players back to PvE in order to compete in RvR. RvR is why most people play this game, which i at least think Mythic knows. So how do we get the players to spend more time (money) on this game? We force them to PvE. I'm kind of slipping of the subject but nevermind. Anyway after this NF is released. NF introduces a totally new RvR landscape as well as RA system. This brings a few classes that were rightfully considered bad before a bit more on to par with the rest. No more extra time needed for PvE, this is just for RvR.

The problem is that NF sucks. It destroys what some people enjoys about this game: FG vs FG RvR.

If you've read this far and you are a PvE/Zerg-liking person you can just click the back-button on your browser.

A quick sum up from what i just typed:
Classic DAOC: Lacks spellcrafting, alchemy and is still buggy
SI DAOC: The best version. With PL:ing and cash you can have a newly created character ready for RvR in about 2 days /played.
TOA DAOC: Second best version. Even with PL:ing and cash you still have to spend 3-10 extra /played days camping artifacts, going on ml-raids and leveling artifacts before you are on par with you enemies equipment and abilities. (subtract a bit if you are very rich and have friends/a guild willing to "PL" you through ToA)
NF DAOC: Takes the same time as ToA but when you reach RvR it sucks.

Hooray you've made it this far. Now to my actual point.

As some of you know and as some of you dont know there are something called Free Shards. These are servers operated not by Mythic or Goa but by individuals or groups of people. Just like if someone sets up a CS/Q3/RTCW-server. However setting up a server for a game that involves 30~ people doesnt require much tought. I am in no way familiar with the operating of a Free Shard server but im writing this anyway (cause i've got nothing better to do).

Now what we all must realize (1337-player or not): This game is dying. Catacombs wont save it. Nothing will. In a year or so this game will consist of much less servers and the servers that are active will have a.. doubtful mass of people that are either too addicted to quit or doesnt care about FG vs FG RvR anyways.

So here comes the final punchline.

Someone with a shitload of money, sparetime and/or computer equipment start a SI or ToA-server with a population limit of say 500 and start inviting those of us on Excalibur (and maaaybe Prydwen) that liked those days.

I'll help and im sure other people would too :)

Well that's it pretty much.

Flame on.

Sanzor

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm..how can you be bored with NF after 2 days, when i´ve seen your deathspam hit my chat all the time? :-P

Javlar

Fledgling Freddie
Im not bored with playing and killing people. Im bored with doing it at some lame tower ;)

kirennia

Part of the furniture
You do realise that this thread is against the CoC because it's an illegal thought and will probably be shut down right? Although I have got to admit, a 1.65 server would really attract me as long as I knew it would be permantent.

Septina

Part of the furniture
The only thing that would keep me playing this game would be if a Pre NF/ToA server was introduced.
Daoc was at its best with version 1.65 and has gone downhill since and its really a shame that probably the best mmorpg pvp wise is going down the crapper in such a way :(

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
When I tried a few free shards out, this was some months ago now tho, nothing worked, was just nuke spells mainly, have they made it work since then? :|

Javlar

Fledgling Freddie
Afaik there are a couple of Free Shards working. But you have to input alot of crap when you create it. It starts blank or something like that and if you dont alter the settings nothing works.

I've played a couple of them and some works fine while some as you say doesnt work at all.

Khale

Fledgling Freddie
The only reason I would play on an older version is if they fix the bugs as well :p (and no radar users ofcourse)

Helme

Resident Freddy
I have run a free shard server before, first of all it isn't an instant copy of the real game the people who ripped the program also have to fill in all databases for how spells looks, what they do. Styles also needs correct growth rate (last time i tried speccing in a melee weapon didn't do anything at all, just gave you styles for the looks) casters is insanely OP, i mean the damage is sort of locked at the delve (delve * castspeed) and can hit level 150 mobs with no problem's since resist rates is fucked up alot. Spellcraft and drops is non existant, althought you can make your own with admin access. Stats on item's isnt there either.

To sum it up, DAoC free shard is fun for 2-3 hours then when you tried all the admin commands, like running from svasud to odins in 15seconds it gets boring becouse you cant find the mobs since they aint inplanted, or that the spells is fucked up badly :)

Tilda

The freeshard servers are getting there, there are mob databases you can DL to put mobs in all the right places, im not sure about styles etc.

I'd be interested if it was possible.

Tilda

Silverblast

One of Freddy's beloved
No idea what you mean by Freeshard Server, but private servers are highly :p illegal as far as I know..

liloe

It's my birthday today!
ok, here aremy 2 cents.

I'm currently working as gamemaster on a Freeshard for Ultima Online and we have around 40 players online (we used to have 120+). Doing such a thing involves a few problems.
You need to either have a person with a good connection at home, which will still only hold like 50 players or you need a server in a central by either paying for it or having a sponsor (like we do). Now for Ultima Online this might work very well, because you only have a very low file transmission and the servers are fairly easy to program, as most of them are interpreter based languages.
Now for the DAoC Servers. I've seen one or two and they're mostly done in C#, which requires more work ofc. Then they consist of multiple server parts, like login server, game server, patch server, which means you'll either need 3 machines or 1 fast machine. When your population grows bigger, you WILL need more than 1 server to support different zones, like the RvR ones I guess and often used XP zones (you can pack low population stuff on one server, if your max. population is not too big).

Well and now the biggest point. While at old UO times, nobody thought about that kind of stuff, Mythic did and it's forbidden to set up your own servers, so even if you manage to do so, then your project might cause severe problems when it gets bigger. Also bear in mind that you will need gamemasters to give ingame support ( I don't think you wanna do a RightNow thing :p).

So while your project seems to be fun, most Freeshards don't even make it further than beta, as people simply don't have so much time to invest.

Jergiot

Fledgling Freddie
thing that uber sux now is that u got 0 choise. in OF u could zerg if u wanted to, but u could also run fg if u wanted to, and get loads fg fights. everyone was happy no? (well cept the flaming if u zerged). now its just zerg zerg zerg and ppl find u right away. other day i got into a fight with 3-4 mid stealthers and 2 crossed swords popped up on map, i mean wtf ;|

Javlar

Fledgling Freddie
I knew starting a server was going to be a hard thing to do, i guess the thread was sort of a sugar coated nf-whine thread.

Then again i believe alot of people would be interested in this kind of a thing and who knows, maybe they got a 100mbit connection. Etc etc. Just a thing to dwell on and maybe it will work out. Maybe it wont.

If you would really commit to it, find out what kind of hardware would be needed to support a, say 200 person server, u got these 200 persons, and everyone chipped in 10-20€ at the start. Not much considering that's what 2 months here costs. Anyways, im just saying that with the right community, organization and commitment it could be done.

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
Why was SI so much better than TOA? It was still basically a pve time sink - only difference really being that when TOA came it was the 2nd time round pve became an essential if you wanted to seriously compete in fg rvr, so it had that "here we go again" factor, with some extra time on top. Personally I still wasn't too fussed about that but then I've never had the time or inclination to focus only on serious fg rvr, though that's beside the point - the point is that in terms of the effect of being a pve time sink TOA was essentially like SI. Basically way I see it is the best kind of rvr server would be one where fg battles were decided on how well players played their individual character and worked as part of a team - not on who had the best gear, best RAs and best classes. This would be a server based on early classic DAOC but with bugs removed, some of the "information" changes (those little things like the buff icon changes) and NF landscape (without the instaporting - so basically a larger viable area than old OF without pks and mgs). Something that is accessible but still requires people to play well.

As for the comments about NF "killing the game" - when are people going to realise that its not NF that makes the game how it is, it's how people choose to play it. 1.69 rvr was fucked up for far more people than 1.70 is.

Konah

Fledgling Freddie
a pre-toa server with savage and radar hotfixes would be a very neat solution to a ruined game, no question.

we can but dream i guess... :(

NF-rvr and the whole door-port-door-port-door-door-boat-run around for 15mins lookin for smth u can kill, sux donkey balls thru a straw.

until smth changes i´ll be investing my time in a more exiting game/pass-time

Planetside/WoW & TF2 when it comes...

/inactive as of tonight.

Konah

Fledgling Freddie
oh and dont lock this one kthx let free speech live!

many ppl very unhappy about NF, they need to be heard.

Kjel

One of Freddy's beloved
Er... Brack, ToA drastically changed the face of rvr despite mythic's wonderful comment of "ToA will not effect rvr." Just look at bodyguard, fop, reaver bombs.
Pre-ToA was the best rvr I've ever had :( Givf. Just make sure it's a patch after asd was fixed... work on the chanter dps debuff interrupt too just for balance since Mythic appear to be too lazy to.

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
Kjel said:
Er... Brack, ToA drastically changed the face of rvr despite mythic's wonderful comment of "ToA will not effect rvr." Just look at bodyguard, fop, reaver bombs.

Aye I know that many of the new abilities in themselves caused problems, but the pve time sink also did it for many. :)

Sykepleier

Fledgling Freddie
If such a server would be set up i'm pretty sure lots of the old school people would return tbh, i know i would rather play that than WoW for sure. The ToA timesink and nf made the game just boring and no more fun to play. That's unless u like sitting on your ass for hours hoping for some silly arti mob to pop that might not even drop the arti u want. And then spend xx amount of plats on the scrolls for it, or farm them urself for xx amount of hours. And as if that isn't enuff then u even have to exp the arti. Such a screwd up idea some ppl have of FUN.
Atm daoc is just :puke: :puke: :puke:

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
in some ways i disagree that toa was all that bad, i worked hard to get my SC set done, getting everything just right, getting the artifacts done (the leveling bit sucked) And i am very happy that i managed it, however, i made the choice to only do it on one of my chars, i really dont think i could do it again with another of my 50s. Toa abilities arent to bad, except for zepher and maybe grapple, most of them brought more stratagy to the game.

Now NF is something different, its crap, Its as if they are trying to turn DAOC into "twitch" play, you only play for short periods of time, jump into a zerg, get bored and log, which goes against what daoc is all about, there is no real personal or group skill needed, its all about numbers now. Albs may find it fun to zerg around the place 24/7 and force everyone else to do the same but its killing the game. Its not really thier fault that they have the numbers, and all want to rvr, it was bad game planning from Mythic, anyone could of told them what NF would do to the game but yet again they have acted without thinking about it.

I think its to late for Mythic/DAOC, you just cant release 2 unpopuler expansions in the lead up to your biggest rivals release and expect to survive, the writting is on the wall for DAOC, and its all down to Mythic.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Good dream but honestly, just that: an uthopy. AS some ppl stated, in order to run a freeshard server decently (anything similar to the way we played DAOC with 1.65) you need: dedicated ppl with nuff time to nurse the server, MONEY coz if you aim to get nuff ppl in you will need different servers to run the game porperly (login, 1 server for each rvr zone, 1 server for the porting zones etc...), etc...

Even if you succes in it, GOA will lay their eyes upon you and put the case on the hands of their legal bureau.

I know its sad, but admit it, if you have left the game due to the reasons Cryptan stated above, you better begin forgetting about DAOC coz there are tiny tiny chances of seeing it back simialr to the 1.65 status (let alone GOA setting a server with 1.65 version) :(
I moved along and started looking forward other games. Will try WoW next as its the closest one in the short term.

didyoufeelpac

Fledgling Freddie
hm then why not goa open a server with a pre toa patch ? do they have to loose something ? lets say a 3d enlish server with 1.65 patch if they want to make money that is a way maybe peopel return

ps. hm we will need to roll a char on server ? :D

Septina

Part of the furniture
didyoufeelpac said:
hm then why not goa open a server with a pre toa patch ? do they have to loose something ? lets say a 3d enlish server with 1.65 patch if they want to make money that is a way maybe peopel return

ps. hm we will need to roll a char on server ? :D

Putting up a 3rd english server with version 1.65 would be a very good idea, I seriously doubt this will ever happen tho.
On the other hand, the italian servers are on the way to be opened and as far as i know everyone will be able to play on em.
Version 1.60, no ToA, no NF.
If its possible i know where i'll be playing in the near future.

Bye bye NF :clap:

Kalba

Can't get enough of FH
Septina said:
Putting up a 3rd english server with version 1.65 would be a very good idea, I seriously doubt this will ever happen tho.

As a matter of fact, it seems that around 50% or even 70% of people that browse here are sick of NF, this may or may not reflect the whole community, but it might!

GoA here's your chance to get your customers back, just think!

Most ppl that have heard of:
Septina said:
On the other hand, the italian servers are on the way to be opened and as far as i know everyone will be able to play on em.
Version 1.60, no ToA, no NF.
If its possible i know where i'll be playing in the near future.

Bye bye NF :clap:

Are gonna go there, cant you see You have a game we *WANT* to play as it was, I promise around... well a goddamned load of accounts reopened and those who are quitting wont perhaps... Do that 1.65 server, please, even try it, see I'm begging ya :(

PS. Someone do a petition for this in some web address(I dont know how:() and we see how many people are interested!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom