The Smiting Cleric

Crystalair

Fledgling Freddie
Was just posting for a bit of feedback really.

After playing the NF beta on Gorre I get this feeling that a smite cleric may actually be worth while.

I am a little fed up with Buff Bots taking all the spots in groups and a smite cleric may actually be able to hold its own in the new rvr.

What do you guys think, is it worth respecing?

Crystalair – 50 Cleric
Guards of Avalon

* Our keeps are important too * :twak:

Dimmer

Fledgling Freddie
Haven't tried NF yet, but if cleric get focus as RA we all gonna be 50 reju 50 enh 50 smite....

maybe you can say if this is right since you tried it...

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Crystalair said:
What do you guys think, is it worth respecing?
No. And anyway: what sort of group prefers to invite a buffbot over a real cleric?

Dimmer said:
Seems you dont understand the Mastery of Focus RA :p

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Dimmer said:
Haven't tried NF yet, but if cleric get focus as RA we all gonna be 50 reju 50 enh 50 smite....

Spell damage varience is partly based on the level of a spell. For example, if you use the lvl 44 smite spell, part of the damage variance calculation will have a (multiply by 44/50) in it to work out your minimum damage. Mastery of focus (i presume thats the one which ups the lvl of your spells) simply up's the minimum damage variance by doing 50/50 instead of 44/50.

It does not however give you the higher lvl spells, only lowers damage variance.

As for whether or not it's worth respeccing, imagine a caster with 3sec cast, no quickcast, their spells being uneffected by acuity buff, a low damage DD spell which cannot be debuffed (unless its changing in NF?)

If spirit debuff worked on the cabby for smite though, it might be worth trying a smite cleric debuff group but in all honest, I don't think the damage output would be high enough.

Dimmer

Fledgling Freddie
ahh ty for the clerification of my question..

well crystalair don't think it's worth respec then.. after mythic nerfed our mezz by putting it on a 5 min timer instead of 30 sec they destroyed smite clerics, so as long as they don't give us back the 30 sec timer on mez it's not worth it imo, unless you can find a cleric guild, was one on server once...

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
mastery of focus just reduces the chance to resist

smite is fun ;) give it a shot, if you don't like it - go kill a dragon :)

specs:
44s/30r/8e - the "fear my grey buffs" spec - aka the spreadheal/top mezz spec, needs a bot/second cleric with some enhance in it to work well. That or a silly number of dex/qui charges

35s/40e/9r - the "heals? what heals?" spec - aka buffbot equiv buffs and a bit of smiteness (get some mastery of focus though)

43s 30e 11r - the "I've got an insta! look!" spec - not bad for soloing without a bot

44s/23r/27e? - no spread heal but got instas and some resist buffs

35s/23r/33e - ok buffs, got instas, got smite.

35s/30r/27e - spread heal, some resists, some smite, middle of the road

40r/35s/12e - a rejuv cleric who lost his buffs somewhere and got given a nuke and a mezz.

Painbringer

Fledgling Freddie
hehe nice one fingo, thinking of making my cleric a smiter as it was fun in bg1, need to be arsed to lvl it tho, its lvl 37 atm, hard to find a grp at that lvl tho, even for a cleric :fluffle:

Draylor

Part of the furniture
kirennia said:
Spell damage varience is partly based on the level of a spell. For example, if you use the lvl 44 smite spell, part of the damage variance calculation will have a (multiply by 44/50) in it to work out your minimum damage.
True so far.

Mastery of focus (i presume thats the one which ups the lvl of your spells) simply up's the minimum damage variance by doing 50/50 instead of 44/50.
False. It does nothing to damage variance - damage is unaffected by MoFocus.

Its purely to raise the level of spells for the chance to resist. Itll help make split spec casters more viable but I really cant see it being any help for clerics.

Maybe Mofocus 1 or 2 to reduce the resist rate of buff shears would be of more benefit than having it help with smiting.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
mof would be handy for a 35smite person - remove that 8% resist chance on the level 34 aoe mezz

Gorre

Fledgling Freddie
thinking of testing 43rejuv/23smite/22enh when nF goes life
did some tests last night and with 25%buff bonus and +8enhance you should cap your bases
43rejuv for a fast single heal wich can get close to outhealing a caster under attack by another caster
23smite for:
-Zo pets are really annoying and alot of alb setupgrps dont have any form of of aoe damage(fotm cabby/sorc/theu grps) so with the 51 and 58delve i hope to be able to 1shot any Zo zerg(untested yet)
-a pbaoe mezz wich doesnt gets resisted by grey or green pets or even by enemies
-less variance to smite down pets

this in combo should bringmore utility to alb grp then having 2rejuv/enh clerics imho
it aint much but its something

Chilly

Balls of steel
fing you rotter, you forgot the best ever spec for asmiter - MY SPEC!!!

44smite - pure pwn
26rej
19enh

ROAR

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Chilly said:
fing you rotter, you forgot the best ever spec for asmiter - MY SPEC!!!

44smite - pure pwn
26rej
19enh

ROAR

well was letting you post that one :)

Kcinimodus

Fledgling Freddie
My cleric is specced 44 smite, 31 rejuv atm to level some arti's, and it's actually quite powerfull in pve in combination with fop and a buffbot. I also got WP4 and MoM2 while I was respeccing, and doing around 500+4xx crit dmg on an undead mob is fun :).

I haven't tried it in rvr yet so I can't comment on that. Should be fun to try though :).

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Kcinimodus said:
My cleric is specced 44 smite, 31 rejuv atm to level some arti's, and it's actually quite powerfull in pve in combination with fop and a buffbot. I also got WP4 and MoM2 while I was respeccing, and doing around 500+4xx crit dmg on an undead mob is fun :).

I haven't tried it in rvr yet so I can't comment on that. Should be fun to try though :).

tis a fun spec - not too bad solo hunting stealthers (if you can get some bot buffs) - in a group you need another cleric rej/enhance but then again a group with only the one cleric sucks anyway, no matter what the spec :)

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Yeah, I forgot to comment that I had helluva lot of fun getting mine to rr6 before I finally gave into rej but these days, unless you get a guild for it, you're screwed.

As for the zo pets and general pets comments, there are few ways to deal with them anyways.

pbaoe mezz although it rarely lands, will give you 9seconds to shout and scream at your sorc to root it.

Staff of god charge (a must for all clerics) will snare them so you can sprint/heal/sprint heal so you'll get half of your effectiveness back anyways.

Cowering bellow - Most groups should have 1 perf and 1 warlord cleric. The warlord cleric can completely get rid of enemies pets (only pets it doesnt work on are chanter pets, necro pets and cabby pets i think. Yes it works on zo pets, SM pets, sorc pets, mincer pets (apparently), BD pets and any others I've missed out. Feel free to slap me if I'm wrong about the alb classes ;)

Think I've missed other ways too but its 6:30am so leave me alone! ;)

Ilienwyn

Fledgling Freddie
And btw, don't expect to do the damage you do on Gorre in excal too. You see, the resists there are quite crappy as you can't max everything with the rogs even though some are very nice. So, you probably hit against low to zero resists while smiting there :)

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
Tried a smite cleric on gorre few days ago, 44smite 31rejuv, dmg ra's such as aug acuity, wp and mom, nuked for 350-400 against those without resists.

Fun altho I prefered playing a frostalf thane with nuke dmg ra's, didn't insta die to the assisting archers ^^

Draylor

Part of the furniture
kirennia said:
Staff of god charge (a must for all clerics)
Maybe in 1.71 Ill bother to level it.

For now it takes far far too long: and xp-ing artifacts under water is just a sadistic form of torture.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Draylor said:
Maybe in 1.71 Ill bother to level it.

For now it takes far far too long: and xp-ing artifacts under water is just a sadistic form of torture.

Get a body sorc friend there and you can do an hour a level :D Although I do agree, it's one of the bad ones out there :(

Reno

One of Freddy's beloved
kirennia said:
Cowering bellow - Most groups should have 1 perf and 1 warlord cleric. The warlord cleric can completely get rid of enemies pets (only pets it doesnt work on are chanter pets, necro pets and cabby pets i think. Yes it works on zo pets, SM pets, sorc pets, mincer pets (apparently), BD pets and any others I've missed out. Feel free to slap me if I'm wrong about the alb classes ;)
Except that Cowering Bellow doesn't work in NF, it is always resisted.

Danita

Kcinimodus

Fledgling Freddie
After trying 44 smite in some small rvr battles, I'm considering 43 rejuv / 32 smite. The pbaoe dd insta kills all zo'arkat minions on you or a groupmember, very handy if you don't have wiz or something in your group to take them out (or if they are interupted). It also insta kills any grey con pets. So I'm gonna give it a try soon, see how it is :).

Ambulance

One of Freddy's beloved
40r/35s/12e - a rejuv cleric who lost his buffs somewhere and got given a nuke and a mezz.
Was close to my first spec back in the day 40R/35S/9E :)

Im atleast looking to go 10/11 smite to amuse myself in keep battles, also to give some sort of usefull aoe interupt with the pbaoe damage insta and the castable aoe smite and dropping enhance/rejuv abit (40/34/12). Id love to drop enhance more but with other clerics in guild trying to get out of buffing resists (Glaud!!) with thier specs you got to draw the line somewhere.

Atlast now with +% bonuses and new ML/RA`s its letting clerics look at alternative specs to the norm.

If i was to go any variation of 44 smite spec now though, id definatly get DI 3/4 and then you get some time to kill the someone with it :)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
yeah DI3 is gonna be nice if you're a grouped smiter (there is no DI4)

a spec I thought about:

40e 30r 20s - is the 20s enough to splat a grey druid pet? (assuming it's not buffbot buffed of course)

Ambulance

One of Freddy's beloved
40e 30r 20s - is the 20s enough to splat a grey druid pet? (assuming it's not buffbot buffed of course)
Yep no probs there as with the small lvl 7 pets i can one hit them with mace, lvl12 pets a few more hits but easy one or two shots with base smite. Above that until the green pet i wouldnt know as im usually screaming for someone to kill it or mezz it ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom