The Saga of Ryzom *OPEN BETA*

Thegreatest

Fledgling Freddie
ok i'll just copy/paste what I also posted on another forum ;)

139445fil.jpg

Description:

The Saga of Ryzom is an immense story that takes place in the future, our future. It begins on the living planet of Atys, which grows and evolves on its own, sending tendrils into the sky and covering the lands with new life. Explore this lush and vibrant world and work towards unlocking its secrets. The Saga of Ryzom is the mystery of a forgotten past and an unknown future, history has yet to be written in this world, so it could very well be you doing the writing.

The story behind the Saga of Ryzom began long before your arrival on Atys. A part of the game is dedicated to discovering important information about this 'forgotten' past. Gathering this type of information will allow you to discover a brand new vision of the world. This vision is the key to the "end game" of The Saga of Ryzom.

Screenshots:

screenshot05april.jpg

screenshot2-08_04_2004.jpg

screenshots2_190404.jpg

screenshot_QaiLo.jpg

tryker_fauna02.jpg

Movies:

Teaser 7

Teaser 6

Teaser 5

Teaser 4

Teaser 3

Teaser 2

Teaser 1

Official Website:

Official Website

Fansite:

World of Ryzom Fansite

Download Link:

Fileplanet Download

Still waiting in line for download, fileplanet = tehsuck...

CjkaceBM

Fledgling Freddie
Got the beta from PCGamer DVD edition.

Installed, created a character, then graphics card locks up with VPU recover and have to re-set my PC. Quick browse round the forums shows that this has been happening to lots of others for some time.

My spec

Athlon XP1800 @ 2.2Ghz
Hercules ATI Radeon 9800SE All In Wonder
nVidia nForce 2 Motherboard
512MB PC3200 Ram

As the game uses OpenGL rather than DirectX I would say it's an ATI problem, except that other people on the forum are using ATI and are running OK.

It's a pity as this was a game I have been looking forward to Beta testing and as it doesn't have PvP, maybe the sad sack l33t bastids will stay away.

frogster

Fledgling Freddie
I had several graphics glytches, and altho the game was "playable" i really just didnt like it.
I might be stuck in my ways, but the game just isnt pick up the box and go.
The graphics arent that great..
It's just not my bag baby....
Might be worth trying tho, as mentioned above, its on the PCGAMER magazine DVD. Make your own oppinions.

Cyfr

Banned
Why can't they offer the download for free the cheap sods, we are testing the game for them ffs :(

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
I got into open beta aswell but wont pay fileplanet to download it.

Poag

m00?
CjkaceBM said:
Got the beta from PCGamer DVD edition.

Installed, created a character, then graphics card locks up with VPU recover and have to re-set my PC. Quick browse round the forums shows that this has been happening to lots of others for some time.

My spec

Athlon XP1800 @ 2.2Ghz
Hercules ATI Radeon 9800SE All In Wonder
nVidia nForce 2 Motherboard
512MB PC3200 Ram

As the game uses OpenGL rather than DirectX I would say it's an ATI problem, except that other people on the forum are using ATI and are running OK.

It's a pity as this was a game I have been looking forward to Beta testing and as it doesn't have PvP, maybe the sad sack l33t bastids will stay away.

fixable with the new DX driver....go into your Ryzom directory theres a program called nel_ryzom_configurator run it and you can change to D3D mode which fixes a fair few problems for ATI users [which i am]

Program also allows u the change res n stuff outside the game.

Hope that helps :)

-Gale

ps- It does have PvP or will its just not turned on atm as they are still tweaking it...yes i know what ur about to say about Open beta should be 'almost finished' theres a very long thread on the ryzom forums about it which makes a good read...if you ignore the people who start there posts with 'I'm a developer' or 'i'm a programmer' :p

Bleri

Fledgling Freddie
First thoughts on Open Beta

SoR just wasnt ready for, what is my impression of, Open Beta.

Open Beta, for me, is all about stress testing, free advertising and most of release content in place. SoR has many skills listed as not_exist, along with NPC's and a help system verging on the ridiculous.

Having said that there is something there that keeps me looking. Its a skill based system rather than level based which is kinda hard to get used to and most of the skills are pretty useless but I have persevered.

IMO what they should be saying is this is Beta 3 which we have opened up to all comers for the purpose of providing a larger test base, then people wouldnt be so disappointed at what they find :)

Long term I cant see this as a game for which to leave DAoC for, at least for me, but it is a nice distraction.

Belsameth

Tainted
played the closed beta for a bit.
it's awefull, I have no other words for it....

Thegreatest

Fledgling Freddie
You don't need to pay to download, just create a free account on fileplanet and chose 1 of the free servers for your download. I'm installing it right now but where am I supposed to get the cd-key?

Poag

m00?
Thegreatest said:
You don't need to pay to download, just create a free account on fileplanet and chose 1 of the free servers for your download. I'm installing it right now but where am I supposed to get the cd-key?

afaik it arrives by email in the mailbox you signed up to FP with...or atleast it did for people who got into beta using subs :)

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
i did write a lengthly review but internet explorer buggerd up.

to sum it up - its shit, dont play it even if it is free.

Thegreatest

Fledgling Freddie
Bah I've made a new account at fileplanet and I'm waiting in line to download it again cause I didnt got any cd-key :/

Ning

Fledgling Freddie
Ryzom is very different than most . You need to have the willing to learn how things work. About 3 or 4 days (and read about 10 player's guide on the official forums ) to well understand the action system, level system ,etc. You can't understand the game by just trying to find the things that are like in DAOC.

I saw tons of good reviews about this game.
If you want reviews from mature people (other comments that the "I tested this game 10 minutes, it sucks" coming from 12 years old kids) check here : http://www.world-of-ryzom.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=866#17213

Maybe the mastake that the dev did was to open the beta test to everyone too early. It's still a BETA and not a kind of commercial demo like most of the other MMORPGs (Lineage 2 for example).

CjkaceBM

Fledgling Freddie
Thegreatest said:
Bah I've made a new account at fileplanet and I'm waiting in line to download it again cause I didnt got any cd-key :/

Try MER01 :)

gervaise

Fledgling Freddie
From an artistic point of view it's certainly ready. It is very pretty. If you don't like WoW graphics maybe this os for you.

Playwise though - well its certainly not a Blizzard beta. Its not EQ2 or Dragon Empires either so it may be that its trying to keep its head above water.

It is being advertised in the US. In a computer games magazine I got sent (free) Ryzom had the 2 pages inside the front cover, Ragnarok + first expansion the next 2, Lineage2 were on 5 & 6 and Horizons were on 7. City of Heroes had 2 pages near the centre. Anyone mention an increasingly crowded market to Microsoft. No ads from Fung Wao (strange game as well).

Krakatau

Fledgling Freddie
Last beta CD sent to me is not installed yet...And I'm VERY bored with DAOC atm...
That's my review of SoR...
Maybe it will change....

Maybe I will start to think that GOA actually cares, maybe I'll even consider once more to resubscribe for another few months when this sub runs out...

Maybe I'm even gonna get the Nobel Prize..
Ahh, well..

Btw, was looking at E-bay some...
Europe DAOC ain't that popular - or maybe that's what GOA are focusing on..
Making the expansion (yes, TOA on prydwen/mid DO sucks..)so unplayable that they won't have any problems of account tradings in the open ? ;)

Ning

Fledgling Freddie
4/22/2004 15:23 : What will SoR be like at launch ?
I have notice that some of you are not clear about what to expect from SoR, what will be available at launch, what to be expecting in the upcoming weeks.
Below is all that we are aiming at being live for SoR launch day.
I hope you'll enjoy the reading :)

READY TO GO
----------------------
• More NPCs - a large number of NPCs have been scattered across the maps with wares to sell and tasks to give. These guys are often migrant and sometimes hang out in pretty hostile areas so it's not always a good plan to wander up and browse through their wares without taking a good look over you shoulder to look out for imminent dangers.

• In the near future we will pass over to a new and improved patching system. The first patch with the new system will include a fauna set upgrade and the re-opening of the Matis and Zorai maps. The Fauna in both of these maps has been completely revamped for a better experience.

• The inter-continental gateways to the prime roots will be opening shortly too, though the prime roots are liable to be very very hard going for low level characters.

• PvP arenas - A small number of game areas will be designated as PvP arenas soon.

SHORTLY IN INTERNAL TEST
---------------------------------------------
• Guild apartments - soon every guild will have a right to their own guild house.

• Faction management is coming - NPCs won't deal with players who they don't like and, in the case of guards and tribesmen, may even attack them on sight.

• Guild "Outpost Missions" - the first of the outpost missions for guilds will be out soon. Guilds with a high enough faction rating will be able to postulate for outpost missions, given out by the NPC representatives of the civilization. The missions will start off relatively simple and become more complicated as the game progresses. The players must start by take on a series of tasks for the tribe who controls an outpost, in order to gain their favor, and gain the control of the location. From here they have a few days to accomplish the mission given them by the civilization NPC. In order to facilitate the task, the guild members can work to build buildings on their outpost and gain advantages and bonuses in their tasks.

IN REVIEW
----------------
• The crafting skill tree is being revamped and simplified and the actions available from the role masters are being revamped also.

• The interfaces undergo regular reviews. The team are currently working on the in-game help and looking at improving inventory management.

• The value of "quartered" loot is under revamp - you should expect to see changes here very soon.

COMING SOON
-----------------------
• Extensions to the tribes and outposts - a set of tribes bosses and a new improved NPC combat system is in development. With their appearance we'll open access to a second means of taking control of outposts, still within the framework of a civilization mission. Players will be able to take an outpost by force by taking on the tribe who controls it. If they succeed they may gain control of the outpost much more rapidly than they would have done by peaceful means but they must fend off the repeated counter-attacks
of the offended tribe.

• A set of challenging named Fauna creatures are currently going in to all of the game regions.

• The layout of the raw material deposits across the entire planet is currently being revamped and will be refined for an up-coming patch.

• Bulky limits - The management of item bulk is on it's way back in. With item bulk come the set of related features including player apartments, a better range of pack animals, upgrades to the way items are stacked and manipulated.

• Death penalties - For the time being there is no real penalty to death. When you die you re-spawn as you were at the nearest re-spawn point and take up where you left off - but all good things eventually come to an end. You will soon see that death is best avoided !

• Coloured clothes - the raw materials used for crafting will soon determine the color of your clothes and armor.

IN DEVELOPMENT
----------------------------
• Kitin invasions & Goo infestation - The invasion system fills areas of the maps with hoards of deranged and malicious roving creatures. As the invasions spread they can take over small towns, sending the NPC populations into hiding until the players sort them out. Invasions may solicit a concerted action from a large number of players.

• The PvP challenge engine - In certain places around the world one can find NPCs who organize challenges for player groups and guilds who want to measure themselves up against each other. For the purpose of the challenge the NPC will send players off to a secret map location and the hostilities begin. Some of these NPCs will also handle wagers, allowing the two player groups to agree on the prize that they offer each other if they loose. The NPC holds onto the wagers and allocated them to the winners.

• A set of more challenging "evil" creatures are currently on the artists' drawing boards.

• The finer points of the game rules around water are being ironed out at the moment.

• The remaining PvP systems including outpost conflicts (Guild war) and player involvement in the game faction conflicts are in development.

• For those who's crafting skills develop there are classier versions of the different clothing and armor parts that can be crafted, with classier stats to match. There are also a good few variants on the standard weapons that are on their way with crafting plans available from some of the tribes and hidden away in some out-of-the-way places.

ON THE DRAWING BOARD
-----------------------------------------
• The systems for guild acquisition and ownership of landscape zones are awaiting implementation. The associated data (land maps, buildings and so on) have been included on the Beta3 CD.

• There is design work in progress for a system for keeping track of the locations of raw material deposits that you have found while foraging.

FEATURES RESERVED FOR THE COMMERCIAL LAUNCH
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Steeds - as you will have noticed the game masters can sometimes be seen riding in the game. Through the coming weeks steeds will continue to be reserved for the GMs.

• The Knowledge system - Ryzom contains a system called the "Knowledge System" that provides the
backbone for access to the game's missions. The knowledge system works with a principle of sets of cards. The cards can be obtained in different ways such as by completing tasks for NPCs, by killing certain creatures or visiting different locations in the map. For every complete set of cards you can gain access to a mission with a handy reward.

• Story development - the story development in Ryzom will be opened at the commercial launch. From there on, there will be variations in the events and evolutions on different shards.

Vince

http://atys.ryzom.com/?page=news

SeeN

Fledgling Freddie
I played in the closed beta and although I found it incredibly boring in beginning, I stuck with it and kept playing, trying to find different ways of playing and speccing.

In general I have to agree with several other people in here:

In my humble oppinion the game is unbelievably boring, its as simple as that.

Fighting the mobs became a drag really fast, same styles, same spells, same moves.

The whole spirit of nature feeling I was expecting from their descriptions of the game wasnt there at all. It just seemed like a game taking a little bit from all the other games out there, but not managing to improve any of them and in most cases even match the other games.

I missed the class system from DAOC, maybe I have played DAOC too much, but really didnt like Ryzoms way of making your char.

GFX was dark and generally monotone and blurred, but that could have something to do with my crappy Radeon card.

Healer McHeal

Fledgling Freddie
SeeN said:
I played in the closed beta and although I found it incredibly boring in beginning, I stuck with it and kept playing, trying to find different ways of playing and speccing.

In general I have to agree with several other people in here:

In my humble oppinion the game is unbelievably boring, its as simple as that.

Fighting the mobs became a drag really fast, same styles, same spells, same moves.

The whole spirit of nature feeling I was expecting from their descriptions of the game wasnt there at all. It just seemed like a game taking a little bit from all the other games out there, but not managing to improve any of them and in most cases even match the other games.

I missed the class system from DAOC, maybe I have played DAOC too much, but really didnt like Ryzoms way of making your char.

GFX was dark and generally monotone and blurred, but that could have something to do with my crappy Radeon card.

i havnt played the beta of this yet, but a friend of mine is playing it, he likes it, but the thing is, as u said played daoc too much, daoc is, even of people try and put it down, one of the best mmorpgs there has been really, UO ruled in its day, but now daoc is still a good one, but from what i hear, its skill based and not lvl based like daoc, so it could have some promise if they fix some things :)

Karam_Gruul

Banned
Healer McHeal said:
i havnt played the beta of this yet, but a friend of mine is playing it, he likes it, but the thing is, as u said played daoc too much, daoc is, even of people try and put it down, one of the best mmorpgs there has been really, UO ruled in its day, but now daoc is still a good one, but from what i hear, its skill based and not lvl based like daoc, so it could have some promise if they fix some things :)

daoc isnt one of the best mmorpgs out there, its one of the most popular, but most defiantly no where near best. even mentioning it in the same sentence as uo offends me... even if you mentioned it in the ssame sentence as eq i'd probably twitch a little.

UO ruled its day, and UO rules all days forever. ok its dead now, but what UO was is what all mmorpgs should aspire to be, which they unfortunatly never will because UO was the original best game ever created. it was so good i sometimes wonder if it was infact created by man, and not god.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Karam_Gruul said:
daoc isnt one of the best mmorpgs out there, its one of the most popular, but most defiantly no where near best. even mentioning it in the same sentence as uo offends me... even if you mentioned it in the ssame sentence as eq i'd probably twitch a little.

UO ruled its day, and UO rules all days forever. ok its dead now, but what UO was is what all mmorpgs should aspire to be, which they unfortunatly never will because UO was the original best game ever created. it was so good i sometimes wonder if it was infact created by man, and not god.

Wasn't UO a bit...*waves hand from side to side*...iffy?

I mean...the whole world was a bit...*coughs*...happy.

*runs!*

Bym

One of Freddy's beloved
I'm actually enjoying this game, looks good, love being able to customise spells, etc -the game still seems to need a lot of work though. I enjoyed DAoC at first because it was a new thing for me, and was a very simple game to pick up. This won't be the 'next thing' for us though, will still be waiting for WoW or EQ2.

Healer McHeal

Fledgling Freddie
Karam_Gruul said:

ok i have to agree with part of that, it actually annoyed me to quit UO, but they fucked it up with what they did with first adding trammel, then adding the rest of that stuff that made it almost anti pk, it just got boring, the original UO was, and still will be my favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom