The sad decline of the Education System

Mybuddies

Fledgling Freddie
You know, playing DAOC, as a 38 year old father, really makes me worry about the standard of spelling in the English Schools System <pulls on his long wispy beard & takes a puff of his pipe>.

Yes, I remember when such simple words as The, Give, Owned and so on were spelled correctly.

Now as I gaze over the misspellings, I yearn for a more englightened age. At least, says a friend, I do not often get wtfpwned, which, apparently is not good. I shall try and look it up soon.

http://www.oed.com/

Take care (and to the people who take this sort of post seriously, don't; Just revel in the fact that you still have the drunken orgy called university to look forward to :wub: ).

Bloodaxe_Springskalle

Fledgling Freddie
if we actually used proper english language ingame we might actually learn english better.
but i guess old fashion english ain't "1337" enough hehe :)
i prefer real english myself, but automatically pick up a "offspring" word here and there

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Mybuddies said:
You know, playing DAOC, as a 38 year old father, really makes me worry about the standard of spelling in the English Schools System <pulls on his long wispy beard & takes a puff of his pipe>.
You should be more worried about the standard of understanding a written text - looks like the majority of people who read this forum dont know how to read regardless of the spelling.

The majority of people who read this forum will see your text like this:
MyBuddies said:
You know father really makes university orgy pipe such simple wtfpwned School System give more englightened correctly I shall try standard of seriously, don't.
Spot the mistakes in that quote :cool:

Straef

Can't get enough of FH
Should be more worried about the people with bad spelling on forums.
Think some people actually bother with spelling on forums even when they don't ingame.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
i dont type in the correct way with punctuation and shit as there is no single activity in my life that requires me to do it. even work dont care aslong as the words are spelt right :/ the less you do something good, the better you get at doing it bad.

Conchabar

Fledgling Freddie
What he means is because hes a father he wories about his sons education:|

i dont play daoc anymore but alot of the people that i pld daoc with were not english anyway ....

Mybuddies

Fledgling Freddie
tris- said:
i dont type in the correct way with punctuation and shit as there is no single activity in my life that requires me to do it. even work dont care aslong as the words are spelt right :/ the less you do something good, the better you get at doing it bad.

Oh dear, you are taking a tongue in cheek joke too seriously!

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
no man i didnt take it seriously. im just saying.

Roadie

Fledgling Freddie
Decline isn’t the right word....the reason you see people so bad at spelling + grammar on these forums is a few years before i entered the schooling system (im 19) they introduced loads of reforms to change the way that literacy is taught to primary school students from the tried and tested repetition too perfection, which you probably experienced in school to a newer more student friendly system.

Unfortunately this system wasn’t very successful, it didn’t translate well into practice and the literacy system of our schools went into a sort of dark age in this respect of their curriculum. On the plus side these days have passed as their effect began to be recognized and there are new schemes that are much better suited to teaching kids how to write (ie the literacy hour).

What you see these days on these forums is people who have had the worst schooling (in respect to spelling and grammar) in a fair amount of time typing carelessly leading to a pretty confusing combination ><

(ps spell checker was required to write this post =o )

Aferin

Fledgling Freddie
'Must' point out that typing something like :-

"Oh dear folks. Have just been dealt an extreme prejudice".

Would ofc (-P), very likely, be counter- productive in a
battleground scenario... :worthy:

( 49 - with two sons by the way)

Straef

Can't get enough of FH
Roadie said:
Decline isn’t the right word....the reason you see people so bad at spelling + grammar on these forums is a few years before i entered the schooling system (im 19) they introduced loads of reforms to change the way that literacy is taught to primary school students from the tried and tested repetition too perfection, which you probably experienced in school to a newer more student friendly system.

Unfortunately this system wasn’t very successful, it didn’t translate well into practice and the literacy system of our schools went into a sort of dark age in this respect of their curriculum. On the plus side these days have passed as their effect began to be recognized and there are new schemes that are much better suited to teaching kids how to write (ie the literacy hour).

What you see these days on these forums is people who have had the worst schooling (in respect to spelling and grammar) in a fair amount of time typing carelessly leading to a pretty confusing combination ><

(ps spell checker was required to write this post =o )
Shaddap Nave! Such a boring long post, you suck :(

Roadie

Fledgling Freddie
mybuddies if i were you id be much more worryed bout the tear licking chickin' stealers out there 0o

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Roadie said:
mybuddies if i were you id be much more worryed bout the tear licking chickin' stealers out there 0o
Oo <Steals Roadie's chickens> oO

Ezteq

Queen of OT
hehehehe i like the ingame words but it troubles me that at work when someone tells a joke i scream out LOL M8!! (and you try saying m8 irl, its not easy!)

however a serious point, l337 speek is putting peoples lives at risk, picture the scene, a child gets hit by a car which then speeds off, his young friend rushes off to call the ambulance...

999 what service do you require?
/y /y /y /y /y /y ffs!!!! /loc chipping sodbury 6877 950

sir? where are you and what service do you need?

wtf!! 4mbul4nc£ n££d r£z!! mah m8 ju$7 b££n wtfpwnd by $0m£ mofo in hi$ c4r ffs!!!

I'm sorry sir i dont speak l337, youll have to get a translator....Beeeeeeeeeeeeep

by which time the kids dead and the telephone operators IQ has dropped 10 points

think safe, speak english!

(or appropriate language for country your in)

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
i admit im lazy but then its not hard to read some peoples typing but in other cases it really is a pain in the arse.

Dont like leet speak at all when people use it in counterstrike i spend the next 10 minutes victimising them normally with a tmp for pure humilation :D

anywho peeps are right the 80's and 90's literacy and grammar at school was appauling it sort of got assumed that by the time you hit secondary school you could actually write with a biro, and that you could spell your own name.

I was lucky had access to a computer from an early age used to print 90% of my work off :)

good ole daisy wheel printer.

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
Ezteq said:
hehehehe i like the ingame words but it troubles me that at work when someone tells a joke i scream out LOL M8!! (and you try saying m8 irl, its not easy!)

hehehe, I've caught myself doing thesame thing, except in holland that ain't so much a problem because the translation of fun is [lol], and you pronounce it thesame way as in english... so I got away with it without any raised eyebrows :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom